What's new

Sony NC685V or Pioneer DV-563A for DVD and SACD? (1 Viewer)

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at DVD/SACD players (don't really care if I get DVD-A). I'm thinking about getting one of these:

Sony DVP-NC685V
$250 @ Crutchfield

pros:
  • 5-disc changer
cons:
  • not much info about this player, can't find many reviews or people that own one (which is why I'm posting about it)
Pioneer DV-563A-S
$180 @ Crutchfield

pros:
  • -plays DVD-A
cons:
  • ugly, silver, like the look of the Sony better

Okay, so I could only come up with one pro/con for each. As I said, I'd like to get more info about the Sony. How does the picture/sound quality compare to the Pioneer? Does bass management work properly?

If there's another DVD/SACD player that you think is better than either of these for around the same price, I'd also like to know. I can probably go up to $350.

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering another option now. Maybe get a Sony c222es for SACDs, and a seperate DVD player. It would have to be something cheap, maybe the JVC XV-SA600BK.

Peka J

Agent
Phil,

I'm considering buying the Sony DVP-NC685V also, but have been frustrated by the lack of any reviews or posts about people who have purchased this unit. I'm surprised because it seems to be one of the least expensive SACD/DVD changers around. I am interesed in this soley for audio. I have a Panny RP-82 for video (and it does DVD-Audio). I really want a changer to use with CD's and I figure I might as well get one with SACD or DVD-Audio. I'm intrigued by some of the albums aailable on SACD and would like to try it out. I plan on purchasing a new "higher end" unit for audio once the new implementaion of a digital connection for SACD and DVD-Audio are available on a player that can do redbook CD well. Things are in such a flux now that it doesn't seem wise to spend a ton on a player right now. I'd rather spend a couple hundred or so and let me play around with SACD and have a changer to use until I buy somthing better in a year or so.

Incidently, this unit is available for $229.88 at JandR.com. I am also considering the Phillips DVD 795SA, wivh is a 5 disc changer and plays SACD. It is $229.88 at JandR, but has a $50 rebate starting today (at least in the store they had it so marked - I was there yesterday).

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat as you. I am also having trouble digging up info on these two units. I do believe the bass management on the sony is better than the Pioneer because you can control the bass management on each channel.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the Sony model as well, but went with the Pioneer due to the lack of info on the Sony (plus the DVD-A option on the Pioneer). However, there are a few (and I mean few) complimentary words on the Sony in the latest issue of Perfect Vision praising its "stunning" picture quality and inclusion of SACD (no comments on its audio quality). It's in the Recommended Systems article (first system, I believe).

Ted

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like I'm not the only one who hasn't heard much about the Sony NC685V, and I'm hesitant to get the Pioneer too.

I'll probably end up getting what I said earlier, the Sony C222ES for SACD, and JVC XV-SA600BK for DVD. I've only heard good things about the Sony, and the JVC looks great for the price. Plus I'll have DVD-A if I want it later on. Those two should be about $500, which isn't too bad for my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks