What's new

Pioneer dv-563a bass Managment problem (1 Viewer)

Ron

Auditioning
When I set my fronts to large, the centre and rears to small, the front speakers also cross over at 100 Hz to my sub. It's like there is only two setting, all large or all small.

To test this I turned my sub off on my amp, set the fronts to large and the rears or centre set to small. I lose all bass under 100 Hz in the fronts. Then if I turn all speaker to large the bass in the front comes back.

100 Hz is a high cross over and is easily audible. My option 100 Hz is much to high unless your using very small satellites which defeats the benefit of DVD-A and SACD.

Anyone else notice this or is my player the problem?

Ron

Drew_W

Screenwriter
There are a gazillion posts on BM problems on this forum, on this player and its Elite counterpart the 45A. The general consensus is that either of these players coupled with an Outlaw ICBM will sound fantastic, as BM will be done correctly. So the good news is, I doubt it's something with your player.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, S&V tested the 563's BM, and said that the crossover was 100 Hz (DD/DTS), 120 Hz (SACD) and 200 Hz (DVD-A). So, its actually worse than you thought.

As Drew said, there are posts here and I would mention also at HT Spot that detail some of the weirdness you observed with speaker sizing.

Unfortunately, yet another player gets it wrong. I know its a bitch to swallow, but put some pennies away for an ICBM.

I did with my 45A, and it literally cures all its ills.

BGL

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
So, with the unusual crossovers for this unit, what will work best with it - full range or very small mains? Thanks.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Two choices to be assured that you are not missing anything:

All large mains + a sub

All small mains + sub + ICBM

BGL

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Im confused, I'm using the bass management of an HK525 for the 563, I thought I should set the outputs to all large on the 563 so it sends full range to the 525, then have the 525 settings to small/specific crossovers for my setup.
Is this correct?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

That would be true if the 525 does BM on the 5.1 inputs. I am afraid I do NOT know the 525, so I can't say much more.

If the 525 DOES NOT do BM on the 5.1 inputs, then the settings in the 525 would only apply to sources that connect through digital or analog connections OTHER THAN the 5.1 inputs.

In that case, the 563 will need to do BM on its 5.1 OUTPUTs.

Hopefully a 525 owner can chime in and clarify.

BGL

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, I do know that the 525 does BM in 6-Channel DVD Audio mode, so sounds like I've got at least one thing set up correctly :)

Thanks!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I do know that the 525 does BM in 6-Channel DVD Audio mode, so sounds like I've got at least one thing set up correctly
Cool.

So, set your 563 up for all large + Sub on. That will have you covered for DVD-A and SACD and also if you were to use the DD and DTS decoder in the 563 (although I would say you would be better off using the decoder in the 525).

The 525 having BM on the 5.1 in solves the problem of less than optimal crossover frequencies in the 563.

As for delay settings, I would bet a nickel that the 525 does NOT apply those to the 5.1 input. And strictly speaking any delay should be AFTER BM. So, if you set them in the 563, it is possible that there may be some quirks with the bass at the crossover frequency.

Having said that, I have experimented a bit with delay settings in my 45A/ICBM setup. I can not say for sure that I can hear any difference either way.

I would say try it both ways, and concentrate on the sound of the bass. If you don't hear a difference, I would probably leave the delay settings in place in the 563.

BGL

Ron

Auditioning
Thanks

I thought the cross over sounded higher then 100Hz.

I am using Paradigm studio reference 60's in the front , 20's in the rear and studio CC in the centre. No question the 60's are a full range speaker. The Studio cc and 20's are great speakers and good bass for their size, but I'm not sure if you would call them full range. Do you think I would benefit from getting an ICBM?

How low a frequency do you think the rear and centre speaker has to produce with DVD-audio and SACD?

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks