What's new

Pioneer DV-47A question... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Williams

Stunt Coordinator
If I use the 5.1 outputs for DVD-A/SACD, is there any bass management? Any way to adjust channel levels or time alignment? If not, should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!

PomingF

Second Unit
Channel level adjustment & time alignment, yes. Bass management, yes for DD/DTS and no for at least DVD-A according to the manual. My solution, use near full range speakers all around.

PF

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If the 47a doesn't have bass management on the SACD/DVD-A feed, then I kind of doubt the time alignment processing will be applicable on those formats as well. I think the 47a can only take the native form of the DVD-A/SACD signals straight to analog, no DSP processing possible in other words...

PomingF

Second Unit
Kevin, you may have a point here but is there a more technical way to confirm this? I don't know. I have my channel levels setup using the DTS demo disc and input the speaker distance via the Pioneer's menu. Since then I have been playing all kinds of multi-channel musics (both DD, DTS, DVD-A & SACD) with more than adequate surround info. One thing I know is that so far none of the numerous positive magazine reviews had brought up these issues other than it's BM inadequacy which unfortunately is not unique to the Pioneer. Cheers.

PF

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
S&V verified what PomingF said,but he's not 100% accurate.
The time alligment feature don't work with SACD's,but it does with DVD-A.
Not surprisingly,that would require PCM conversion,which kinda defeats the "advantages" of the DSD encoding/decoding.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, that makes sense. There was some debate about the handling of time alignment in SACD in another thread. Right now, I guess such processing is not done in the DSD domain.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
But if you can have time alignment for DVD-A why not bass management? Just a different "flavor" of DSP processing...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks