Pioneer DV-47A

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ToddP, Sep 23, 2003.

1. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

I've read some very, very mixed things on this player both here, and at another forum. My question is, would you buy this player for

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

For $350 there are better players out there. The 47A has some fairly dated video circuitry and does exhibit the chroma bug. It also does not have bass management for DVD-A and SACD. You may want to give the Denon 2200 a look. I don't beleive it's been released yet, but should be soon, and should come in at under $400 street. It has the Faroudja chipset, is chroma bug free, has bass management, and burr-brown DACs for better audio on DVD-A and SACD. It's pretty much a slightly scaled down version of the Denon 2900 which is around $800 street.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The 45a does have BM for SACD, just not for DVD-A. Exactly like the other players that are based on it: the Onkyo 800, the Integra 8.3, and the Marantz 8300. The 47a did get awarded Product of the Year by Home Theater magazine last year.

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

i believe it was the 47Ai that was awarded Product of the Year, mainly because of it's ilink connection for digital transmission of hi-rez audio formats.

5. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Would you say that in general, Denon tends to make a better product than Pioneer? i.e. the 2200 vs. the DV-47a, the 3803 vs. VSX-53TX. I ask, because it appears that you can typically find some better deals (relative to MSRP) on the Elite items, than you can on Denon products. I've always liked Denon, but it seems to be pricier than similar products. Also, as far as the receivers go, the Pioneer is 7.1 and the Denon 6.1. It seems some feel Yamaha is a much better value for 6.1.

In the past, I've typically bought like components. I guess there is no real benefit to this, except for certain connection types like i-Link. Is this correct? I ask because, if I wanted the 7.1 setup, and went with the 53TX over the 3803, or the RX-V3300 (Yamaha), I guess there would be no real reason to stick with the Elite dvd player over the Denon if there is a big quality difference.

6. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

It's hard to generalize things like this. In my opinion, Elite and Denon are right on the same page as far as receivers go. I've had lower end denon's and the are comparable to lower end pioneers. I have a 43TX which i feel is comparable to the 2803 or 3803 (both of which are 7.1, not 6.1). The Yamaha 3300 would probably be a step up even, the 2300 and 1400 would be better comparisons to the other receivers you mentioned.

As for DVD players, i've never been a big fan of what Pioneer has come up with. Until just recently all their players have been plagued w/ the chroma bug, and the only player they have without it is non-elite (563A, which gets rave reviews in the sub-$200 range). The 45A and 47Ai have both received rave reviews for sound quality, and even picture quality when matched with a set that doesn't overly-exhibit the chroma bug, but the fact that it is even there still bothers me.

I've been a fan of a few recent Denon DVD players because they have taken a very solid Faroudja chipset based chroma bug free panasonic architecture that was known for superb video quality, then improved on the Hi-Rez sound quality by adding burr-brown DACs, bass management, and beefier power-supplies. For example, a Denon 1600 is essentially a Panasonic RP82 w/ far superior sound quality and bass management. The RP82 goes for around $300 on ebay right now and is discontinued. The Denon 1600 was recently discontinued and can be found at retail for this price now. The Denon 2200 is a new player a step above the 1600, and the 1200 is it's replacement.

The 53TX doesn't have iLink, so you would have to move up to the 55TXi to take advantage of that feature of the 47Ai. Make sure you don't get an older 47A and expect it to have iLink, because it does not.

7. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

According to Crutchfield though, the 2200 uses a Silicon Image chip, not a Faroudja chip. It's my understanding that both are very good, but I know a lot of people around here seem to hold Faroudja in the highest regard. Maybe Crutchfield's information is incorrect.

At any rate, I'm new to the "mid" level home theater area, and I'm just trying to research and learn about what people much more experienced than I think. I appreciate the feedback you have offered. I hate not being able to do side by side comparisons of multiple players. I guess I need to find a better HT shop in my area.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keep in mind, that one of the reasons that Denon might "appear" to get better reviews than the corresponding Pioneer products, is that Pioneer has usually been there 1st. I.e., the 47a came out over a year before the 2900. Not that that should be an excuse for a worse performing product, but released products do get better as technology progresses and "learning" accumulates. Even Pioneer learned, in that the 47a had no bass management for DVD-A in the 47a, but almost complete for in the 47ai (some DVD-A 4.0 discs fall under the radar). They also swapped the Crystal/Cirrus DACs in the 47a for better sounding Burr Browns in the 47ai.

BTW the 2900 is not perfect. A lot of users have complained about "soft" video, and SGHT in general did not like the player. The best way to approach this I think, is to get the player you think you want, and try it out in your system. That's the only way you know if you're going to be happy with it. [​IMG]

A couple more thoughts too. The original 47a couldn't have been that bad if Onkyo, Integra, and Marantz designed players around the core 47a parts. [​IMG] Plus, at the price you can get it, you could think about getting it mod'ed, and potentially get better audio performance than *all* of those players:

http://www.modwright.com/products/
    http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS%20modi...20players.html

I've even thought about having my 47ai mod'ed. But I have to agree, the chroma bug is a big issue, although it does take specific displays to see it, and Pioneer players don't have it as bad as some players out there.

9. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Kevin,

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Doug- the only thing I can say, is that I emailed back and forth a few times with the Modright guy, and he really seemed to know what he was talking about. Someone else suggested there might be more info about mods in general over on audio asylum.

11. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Kevin,

Thanks. Yes, I've poked around some on AA; need to do more searching on Ric's work (although I've gotten some feel of his perspective), as I have read up a lot more on Dan's work in recent years. It does appear that they have different strategies wrt their mods. Ric appears to strive for the most transparency - "get the equipment out of the way". Dan appears to be more of a "let's get it sounding great" guy. Of course, they both want great sound and don't want unnecessary components in the path, but it doesn't appear (from my 50000 ft level) that Ric would ever put a tube stage into a source component, for example.

At this point, I'm fairly sure I'm going to get something modded. The questions remaining are which player and who will do it. Still a small chance of being swayed towards the upcoming Denon or Pioneer DVI/HDMI players, however.

Doug