Pioneer 711 vs. 811

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

In comparing the two I notice two real differences.

The 811 does 6.1
    The 811 has preamp outs on all channels

I will not be using external amplification.
    I will not be using 6.1 (don't have room)

Since I will not be using either of the features that the 811 has to offer over the 711, is it still wise to get the 811? Will there be a difference in sound, or are there other features I am overlooking?

I am currently using a Kenwood VR-507 reciever. As I turn up the volume loud (within around -10 of reference) there is noticable background hiss on all channels. Will a higher quality reciever cut down on this?
    I am hoping this Pioneer will have higher quality amps to cut down on distortion and clipping.

TIA
    -Mark

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

I'd still take the 811 over the 711. I was in the same boat you were in about a week ago. No plans for external amps, and no room for 6.1, but I decided the 811 had one feature the 711 didn't have: future-proofing. I sure as hell didn't want to spend money for another receiver anytime soon to get all the extra formats, especially considering the 811 is only $100 more. Of course, take this with a grain of salt as I ordered a H/K 320 instead [​IMG] .
    I imagine any hiss the 711/811 is at very high volumes. I think a couple of owners said they could only hear the hiss at maybe a foot away from the speaker at the volume they listened to. Also, check your speaker wire. I think the main cause in the hiss is crappy wire. Get some Home Depot 12/16 gauge.

3. Mark Fitzsimmons

Thanks for your help.

I'm using 12 gauge from knukoncepts.com

I had some home depot, but I like this alot more, it is much easier to work with and has a higher strand count: twisting the ends is alot easier on the hands and its more flexable.

Its terminated with gold plated bananas.

The hiss is pretty wierd...

Reference is set at -20 on my reciever

If I am at -28 I can kinda hear the hiss, then when I turn it to -27 it like steps up to another level of hiss, then again at -24 it steps up to an even higher level of hiss. There is a definite and obvious change in the amount of hiss when I change the level just 1 db; and it only happens at certain spots. Strange?

I'd like a reciever that is capable of playing at higher levels cleaner than my current reciever. I have a more than capable sub (DIY Tempest) now I just need to improve the rest of my sound. I have JBL Studio Series speakers.

--Still looking for more opinions--

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

Any other help?

Does the 811 have components that would make it better than the 711 even for 5.1 or stereo listening? i.e. a better power supply?

6. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

I think they're identical, aside from the full preouts, extra amp, and the 6.1 formats.

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

8. Mark Fitzsimmons

Thanks for the help.

I think I'll just go for the 811 (more bragging rights, eh?)

There is a slim chance that we may be moving, which will allow me to have a theater that will accomidate 6.1 - so might as well go for it anyway right, no regrets?