What's new

Pioneer 711 vs 811? (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I have read a whole bunch of good things on this forum about the Pioneer vsx-d711 and Pioneer vsx-d811s with people saying that they are both good for people interested in a more "budget" system. At the moment and possibly for the forseeable future I think I will only be getting five speakers plus subwoofer (I'm thinking of getting the JBL NSP-1 plus that Sony subwoofer people have mentioned). So, I was wondering whether there is any need to get the 811 or whether the 711 will suffice or even be better. The 811 lists that its modes are Expanded 6.1, 6-Channel stereo, music, movie, virtual surround back, and midnight mode. The 711 lists its modes are the same, but with expanded 5.1. Would the 6.1 on the 811 work well with a 5.1 system or would it be lacking somewhat?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Neil

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Neil,

I have the 811 and the 6.1 set up in my living room (see pix on my site) and really love the added depth the 6.1 creates for a lot of my DVD's.

If you don't think you'll ever want that added feature and are content w/ 5.1, than go for the 711 and save the few extra bucks..I'm sure the 711 will serve you quite well.

I think it's a personal preference since the 711 and 811 are practically the same except for the 6.1 feature, plus the 811 has pre-amp outs and a learning remote.

Alfer

Lorenzo K

Agent
Niel,

The 811s also has support for 7.1 by splitting the surround back channel into 2 speakers. The reciver has inputs for both speakers. It also has pre-outs for amplifiers.
The 811 is more future proof IMHO.
If you don't want these features then go ahead with the 711.

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
How does the 811 compare to the more expensive 7.1 receivers like the Denon 3802 and Sony DA4ES.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice. It seems that the 811 might be good if I am going to think about getting a back center at some future time. Is it smart enough to process 5.1 appropriately if I don't have the back channel or would I really need that back center speaker?

Thanks again,

Neil

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
No need for the extra speaker...the 811 would do just fine w/ 5.1.

Alfer

Lorenzo K

Agent
If you are going to get either model, make sure that your speakers are around 8 to 16 ohms as Pioneer does not recommend using speakers of lower impedance

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would have to reccomend the D811S. The $75 or so you would save would be well worth the fact that you'll be able to move into 6.1 or 7.1 whenever you decide to. As someone else mention, the 811 is much more "future proof". It already has the most current processing technology (except logic 7, which is a HK/Lexicon proprietary technology). It gives you room to grow your system if and when you feel the need by simply adding one or two more speakers.

I would even venture to say that if you only have the $$ to buy the 711, go with the Panasonic HE100 instead. It will give you the ability to move into 6.1 when you decide to, and is right around the same price point as the 711. It has also received good reviews around here, even though some doubt it's build quality simply because it uses spring clips. Just another option to keep in mind.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Stephen:

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on the build quality and performance of the 811. I've heard people complain about its 2-channel stereo performance, in particular. How would it compare, for example, to the Sony DE line, which I find has unacceptable 2-channel performance?

--AM

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 811S does fall behind in 2ch music performance. But you have to consider what it's falling behind. Most people that comment in the 811S musical inabilities are comparing it to Harman Kardon, Marantz, and other higher end receivers. I find the 811S musical reproduction to be adequate, but i'm also atleast 90% focused on HT. When i do listen to 2ch sources, it's either in NEO:6 Music mode, or 6-ch stereo mode. I can't compare it to the sony line in music, but from my comparrisons to other receivers, there's not a better receiver on the market for $300 for home theater.

When reffering to "build quality", the term is most often associated with parts, as in binding posts vs. spring clips, plastic face vs. aluminum, weight, and whether or not the unit seems to be built solidly, or on the cheap side.

The 811S has a very high build quality for it's price range and is built very solidly. The 711 has the same build quality. The other receiver i reccomended is the Panasonic HE100. It has a substantially lower build quality and has a little bit of a cheap look/feel to it. It does, however, perform rather well, and i would consider it over the 711 because of the addition of 6.1. That is a trade off that i would make. I wouldn't buy a poor receiver just for more features. The HE100 is a very good receiver, it just "feels" like it's not built as well. It still sounds good and would make a great entry level receiver. I guess you would really be deciding between a better built 5.1 receiver, and a little flimsier 6.1 receiver. Sound quality isn't really an issue as both perform well for their price point.

Of the three, though, i would still reccomend the 811S.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the added insights. At the moment, I think I'll bite the bullet and go for the 811S.

Neil

R

RossTerry

i have one (811s) currently being shipped to me...i excited

i just need to find some back center surrounds

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, new here to the forum.

I'm also considering the 811s as an entry level HT receiver, but I have a question about the component video. Will the comp video jack adequately handle 480p, 720p, and 1080i material, or is there some degredation of video signal? Are there component video in/outs of varying quality?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks