Pioneer 711 + Paradigm Studio 100?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack*Mains, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any experience with the Pioneer 711 or 811 (I assume both put out the same actual power vs. advertised power which is 67W for the 811)

I will most likely be upgrading to the Studio 100/80 or Monitor 9's for the front. I will also be getting smaller bookselves of the same series for the back, but I assume they dont need as much power as the mains anyway.

So do you think this receiver will be powerfull enough to drive them or would you go with another receiver? There isnt a single place where I live that carries both, so I can't really try it out for myself.

Thanks.

2. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

That reciever can driver the Monitor 9's, but I am not sure about the studio's. Since the Elite 41TX can drive my monitor 9's without issue, the 811 should do the same job. (Very similar if not the same reciever).

3. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

The 100's are a particularly big load if you want to drive them to reference volumes.

I think Paradigm recommends a 200 WPC amp for the 100's. Get a good two channel amp to add to the 711 or 811.

IMHO..............

Mike

4. Jack*Mains

I see.. would getting a more powerfull receiver, say a Kenwood 6060 (95W actual power) eliminate the need for the external amp, or am I looking at getting one anyway?

5. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

To me buying Studio 100s and driving them with a receiver is pretty much waste of money. If you don't plan on getting an external amp any soon, better buy Studio 40s with a decent sub (you'll need it anyway) and save yourself some cash.

I've tried running Studio 100s with H/K AVR800, but even this receiver - which has a lot more powerful amps than the Pioneers you mentioned - cannot drive Studio 100s adequately.

6. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I think if you are going to build your system then the 100s are a good choice. You are going to want to get a powerful amp to drive them to their full potential other wise get the 20s or 40s. My 100s shut down my 49tx at reference levels, but with my parasound 2205 (220x5) doesn't even break a sweat! you may want to look at the outlaw combo or the rotel pre pro and amp. I don't know what your budget is but running the 100s with a budget receiver is a waste of your hard earned money Imo. THe studio 100s have a lot of potential In the past couple of months I have had several pre-pros in my home to demo some of them as much as $5000 and the sound only gets better with better equipment something you will not experience with a lower end receiver

Good luck, Bob

7. Jack*Mains

Bob,

The paradigm 100 are a future possibility, chances are I wont have them for a while. However, will I still enjoy the 100's to their full, or almost full potential if I use the pioneer as a pre/pro and a powerfull amp connected to the preouts later on?

Thanks again.

8. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Jack, By adding an external amp will make a big difference if its something you are going to work up to then you should be ok, by adding an amp and then a pre pro will make it sound you have new speakers[​IMG]
    Bob

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, Audiosource makes some very respectable an cheap amplifier's.

10. Jack*Mains

11. Tim Reed

Tim Reed Extra

From first hand experience. I have the Paradigm studio 100's v2 - - and started driving them with a Yamaha 2092 (which is the reciever I happened to own when I bought the Paradigms). The Yamaha (100/channel) did drive them, but they tended to lack bass, and to be a little flat.

I then upgraded to external amplification - - and put in an Odyssey Stratos 2 channel amp - - rated at 150 watts/channel (but with 120,000 microfarads of capacitance - - so it has a huge current reserve). The Odyssey (which is built like a tank - - 50+ pounds - -and has a 20 year warranty) drives the 100's effortlessly. The result is much more bass and the speaker is very dynamic now (for a paradigm - - I also own Klipsch LaScalas- - and they "define" what dynamic is). If you are building a home theater, using outboard amps for the front mains will relieve the receiver of this duty and as a result, it should have no problem driving (i.e., its power supply should be adeqaute) all the other channels - - even for a Pioneer elite.

. . . just wish I could figure out which new receiver to get . .