What's new

Pink Lady & Jeff: the DVD (1 Viewer)

James Steffen

Auditioning
I see that Rhino's box set of the legendary variety show PINK LADY & JEFF has finally streeted. I, for one, feel that my life won't be complete until I can see Pink Lady do their patriotic cover of the Village People's "In the Navy" (Pink-a Lady.../Come on and join your fellow man!) just one more time! :)
Has anyone picked up the set yet? How does it look?
James Steffen

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've started to check out the screener I requested. (WHY did I request it? WHY did I choose voluntarily to subject myself to 3hours of THIS??!!) I watched the first two episodes and they looked and sounded about the way you'd expect a 21-year-old TV show to be. Fuzzy, semi-blurry picture and fairly thin monaural sound, but I'm not complaining; they seem fine for what they are. It's not like I thought I'd get reference quality material, and they seem reasonably good for their origins.
As for the material on the DVDs themselves... painful!
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Oh my Holy Christ in Heaven! Whenever I'd mention Pink Lady and Jeff to people, they'd look at me like I was on Crack. After several years of this, I had begun to convince myself that I had dreamt it. Is it as surreal as I remember it from my childhood?
[Edited last by Brian Kidd on October 15, 2001 at 09:31 AM]

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Pink Lady and Jeff? Alright!!!
Any news on boxsets for Shields and Yarnell or the Hudson Brothers?
God bless the 70s Variety Shows...
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Is this as priceless as The Brady Bunch Variety Hour? That DVD is great, but Rhino messed it up with a ton of digital artifacting.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is it as surreal as I remember it from my childhood?
Unfortunately (?), since I can't hop inside your head, I have no idea how surreal you found it to be. However, it IS a certified disaster. Actually, the quality of the show did improve as it continued; what initially seemed like the most atrocious piece of TV ever became merely terrible by the end. Or maybe I just became inured to the thing after a few episodes; the poor quality felt much less startling and shocking after a couple of hours...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Colin,
Are you gonna do a review for your site? Most of the time, these "lesser" releases never get reviews. That's disappointing. It would make one fan's(?) day if you would.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Are you gonna do a review for your site? Most of the time, these "lesser" releases never get reviews. That's disappointing. It would make one fan's(?) day if you would.
Consider your day made, for I'm indeed reviewing the title. I hope to complete the article today, but I don't know when the review will actually go online - hopefully within the next few days. I'm still reeling from the horror of watching five hours of PL&J over a two day span...
BTW, a lot of the reason smaller releases don't get reviewed is simply because they lack enough of a fan base to be noticed. I think a lot of DVD people aren't even aware this sucker exists, and even if they heard about it, it probably didn't register. I mean, how many people actually remember this show? It has to be a very small percentage.
Personally, I know that outside of the blockbuster titles, I only review things I actually am curious to see; I'm backlogged enough as it is, so I'd go nuts if I tried to take on lots of titles that I don't really want to watch. One would hope with all the DVD sites out there that every title would get reviewed at least once, but I guess that's not the case. Dunno if anyone else will write up PL&J, but I'll be happy to be the sole documentarian of the terror...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. I guess I just figured that since this fine program has such a stellar reputation that more sites might review it. I'm glad you're doing so, though. Thanks a bunch, Colin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks