Pink Floyd WYWH Question

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jed M, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I am currently searching for the remastered WYWH CD that was released in 2000. All I can find in stores is a 1992/1994 EMI/Capitol version. Is there a CD out there that has a 2000 copyright or is this the one I am looking for? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

A look at the page for it on All Music shows two versions released in 2000, both by EMI with seperate catalog numbers. Looks like there was also a version released by Capitol in 2000.

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

A bit off topic, but if you're looking for the best sounding version try to find the CBS Mastersound "gold CD" version of it on eBay...it sounds great!

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yes, I have that Mastersound edition too. Very nice sounding, and very nice packaging.

I also have an original Japanese EMI edition of DSOTM. I kept it even though I also got the SACD hybrid. [​IMG]

Jed- Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Thank you everybody for the suggestions; I will definately look into the gold disc. I remember my friend had that in high school.

Kevin, thanks for the link. Ironically that is where I bought mine from but when it got here it says 1994. I'm not sure if they are clearing out inventory or if this is it. I am leaning towards this is the right one since the engineer is Doug Sax (who did the 2000 version). I just wanted some confirmation.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jed- You might want to email/contact Amazon then. Maybe they could somehow get you the right version if yours isn't. Or at least take yours back if you want. It *should* say "remastered" on it somewhere.

I just took a quick look, and every version Amazon has on their web site is dated 2000, *except* for the gold CD that some of us have. So it does look like you have the right one. You can check catalog numbers too.

You *did* buy direct from Amazon, right? Not one from the "new and used" link?

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

FWIW, I had the same problem with Amazon back in 2000 or so. They site listed a remaster, but the date on the disc said '94. When I e-mailed, they were pretty clueless, and I threw in the towel.

You might search or post over at Steve Hoffman's forums.....they tend to be a totally obsessive bunch (I mean that in a good way) about releases, versions, remasters, pressing plants, etc.

I bet someone could give you a list of catalog numbers and disc stamping info to determine exactly what you have.

BGL

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

OK, update: I noticed the catalog #'s matched up on the site Ike listed above. Also, I checked Best Buy's website and they list they have the 2000 version in stock at my local store. When I drove there to pick it up it was the 1994 version that amazon sent me.

Edit: OK, I think the 1994 version is actually the 2000 release based on this post. Pretty strange way to label your albums.

A sincere thanks to everybody for your help. I will definitely be looking for the gold disc now.

9. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Yep. The gold is the way to go with this album.[​IMG] I've had it since it came out.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jed- Good find on that old link! [​IMG]

11. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Ditto here for the original Jap. EMI DSOTM and CBS Mastersound WYWH. I have the 20th ann. box of DSOTM but the old import still sounds superior! I have not updated WYWH from the CBS version, and my version of THE WALL is the 1994 EMI/Harvest UK Remaster.