Pink Floyd Remasters Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Lehner, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Chris Lehner

Chris Lehner Agent

Can anyone shed some light on the MANY reissues and remasters of PF discs? I mean, on CDNOW alone, they have the following offerings for The Wall:

** A CD listed with a release date of 4-25-2000, from EMD/Capitol, stating it is remastered and runs for $31.47
    ** A CD in the IMPORT section, with a release of 8-27-2002, does not state if it is a "remaster" (how can it not be?), nor list the record company and is $35.62
    ** A CD in the IMPORT section, with a release date of only 2001, from EMI JPN, stating it is remastered, for $38.24
    ** A CD in the IMPORT section, with a release date of 5-16-2001, with no mention of remastering or record company (I suspect it is the EMI JPN release without the mini-LP case), for $37.12
    ** A CD in the IMPORT section, with the original release date of 11-30-79(?), from EMI INTL, calling itself a LTD. EDITION and remastered and is $40.49

Not to mention MFSL and not to mention other titles, like DSOTM, WYWH, etc. So what's the best sounding and bang for the buck? For instance, is the MFSL version of DSOTM, which is likely to set you back $150 on eBay, really worth $120 more than the Japanese remasters?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    CDL

2. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I think EMI did remaster and repackage most of the Pink Floyd catalog up to Dark Side of the Moon. From what I had heard and understood, the 2 PF CD's you may desire are the CBS Mastersound Super Bit Mapped gold CD of Wish You Were Here and the MFSL version of Dark Side of the Moon.
    There's an obscure Japanese edition, referred to as the Harvest black label, that came out in 1984 which is highly sought after by collectors.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

It used to be that CBS/Sony had the U.S. rights to the albums from "Wish You Were Here" through "The Final Cut", but a few years ago EMI acquired those rights. EMI already had the rights outside the U.S., so now they have worldwide rights to all the Pink Floyd albums except for the Gilmour era starting with "A Momentary Lapse of Reason". The 4-25-2000 release of "The Wall" by EMI/Capitol is probably EMI's first issue of the CD since acquiring the rights.
    I've got the CBS/Sony SBM gold CD of WYWH, the MFSL gold CD of Meddle, the MFSL gold CD of DSOTM, the MFSL gold CDx2 of The Wall, the Harvest black label DSOTM [​IMG] , the 20th anniversary DSOTM, and the Shine On box set...
    CBS/Sony remastered all their Pink Floyd CDs a few years before giving up the rights, and EMI/Capitol did the same for their CDs (which at the time ended with DSOTM) as well. I could be wrong but the remastered WYWH might be the same as what they put on the SBM gold CD a few years earlier. If not, why not?

4. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Okay, okay... So if I go into Best Buy today, and pick up the current version of Animals (or WYWH, my faves).... Will they sound significantly better than the Columbia versions I bought over 10 years ago??

C

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

6. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

7. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I have compared the old EMI, the "Shine On", the MFSL and the 20th Anniversary CD versions of DSOTM. The 20th Anniversary was the best sounding, IMO (and in a recent thread on Audio Asylum, most people agreed).

I've also compared the 20th anniversary CD and the UK Harvest LP and the old LP is significantly better. Everyone I've demo'd this for (audiophile or not), came to the same conclusion.

-Mike...

8. Chris Lehner

Chris Lehner Agent

People in the PF newsgroup are saying that there are essentially just 3 set of remasters: the Shine On set, the MFSL releases and then Sony remastered the entire catalog, Pipers through DSOTM in '94 and WYWH through AMLOR in '97. And that any subsequent release dates are the same source recordings, just re-released when the catalog was sold to EMI. I'm not sure that's gospel though (that's why I posted here as well). As I've said before, it's all pretty confusing. Anniversary editions and remasters from different companies; there are so many choices out there, hard to tell what is what. Especially at a place like CDNow where there is usually no catalog information. Can anyone recommend a site that has a lot of these choices and maybe does a better job of explaining just what you're getting with each choice?

Also, anyone have any opinion on the Chinese versions? I've just found out about them, and they may be new, but it looks like they're following suit with the Japanese mini-LP that have been in vogue recently. These are 24bit, HDCD, Gold CDs. So far only The Wall and Echoes, but at the price I saw it for, I took a chance on The Wall. Having it in HDCD will be great, but I'm just wondering what the source might have been like. I mean, if it was garbage, it'll be HDCD great-sounding garbage.

CDL

9. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

10. andrew markworthy

11. Wayne Bundrick

12. Chris Lehner

Chris Lehner Agent

13. Wayne Bundrick

Of the quality.