What's new
World Wide Stereo

Picking out a Sub....does size matter! (1 Viewer)

Phil_M

Grip
I went to the Velodyne site to pick out a sub for my new system....and because of the room size....it sprang for the high cost subs....like 2k or so. I was planning on spending 400 bucks on a DLS-4000 but the room size may call for something bigga. The room is 23x22x8 which is over 4000cuft. The listening area is smaller.....but it is open to the dining area.

Here is the planned system:

65" Mitsu model 65413 already installed
701 Onkyo AV...and Polk for speakers
2 x Rti8 for front, Csi3 center, 2 Rti4 rear for a 5.1 setup

So now I need a reasonable sub for this setup. Would a under 500 buck Velodyne work ok? Or should I save up for a 1100 buck SVS?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
What's missing from your equation is what material you listen to, and how loud you listen to it. If you only listen at rather moderate levels, a lower end Veolodyne will due just fine. If you want to "feel the action", then save up for something more. As you noticed, SVS makes incredible subs for the money. My room is almost exactly the same size as yours and I had a 20-39 PC+ that was simply awesome in there (much better than the Infinity, Boston, Velodynes, etc. I had before, though I've since gotten greedy and upgraded to the PB2-Ultra).

-Robb

Phil_M

Grip
Mostly movies will be the main event....but music also. I already have a 10 year old Carver (200W/Ch) receiver and speakers I will move to the back room for strictly music. Not that age matters...but I'm 50 now and heavy rocking is only on occasion. I do like the idea of feeling a movie though.....but I'd like to keep it "in the house" as opposed of my neighbor feeling it too. Do subs make nice coffee tables??

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum, Phil. I would give SVS a call and let them know what your concerns are. They have been known to direct people away from there own line of products if they really don't feel they can make a fit with you. That is truly great customer service!

Those days are steadily becoming a thing of the past though , now that there lines include some of the best box style subs available for the money also. They really do offer something for just about everybody from $600-$6000.

SVS would be in my HT if I didn't have a bad box building habit!

Enjoy your hunt,

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks