What's new

Picked up 4700 Friday - WOW! (1 Viewer)

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I was recently going through DVD decision hell. JVC, RP56, 4700/5700, something else?!? I read through and searched every forum and review I could find. ARGGGG what to believe?!? So, on my home Friday I stopped at best buy to pick up and take a look at a 4700. I've got a Toshiba TN50X81 that doesn't do the squeeze trick and last year about this same time I bought a 6200 and brought it home for a look. I tried SO HARD to see improvement from progressive scan but couldn't, so I took it back. My current player is a Proscan PS8680Z.
Rest assured, the 4700 IS NOT going back. I first played some IMAX discs that historically had showed severe posterization during certian scenes. Now, just a beautiful picture. Then Toy Story, looking for the chroma bug. No color ringing and if the chroma bug was there is was minimal. Colors were great! Bright, vibrant everything looked better than ever. So then I tried Fifth element superbit. WOW. The detail before Leeloo jumps and as she's looking around is just unreal! Looks fantastic. Fleshtones are great. So then I try Titanic, the little girls jumper between chpts 7 & 8 has great detail and the rail does not crawl, no jaggies. Then I tried SuperSpeedway and the grandstand scene, agian, great detail in the seats and no moire (sp?). For every one of these I noticed everything looked better, colors, detail, backgrounds, fleshtones, everything. I couldn't be happier. Since then I have watched the first couple of episodes of Soprano's season 2, Hunt for Red October (boy is that a bad transfer - now I can see bad from good!) and Nightmare before Christmas. Again, looks stunning! I realize that some of these things should go without saying for a progressive player, but the thing is with the 6200 I brought home I still saw the jaggies and couldn't see any difference between the Proscan and the 6200. With the 4700 the difference is SO obvious my wife even saw and commented on how great it looked - and belive me she couldn't care less about this stuff (although she is coming along and does appreciate it all).
For me there is no need to search further. I'm not going to mess with trying the JVC or RP56 - this player looks awesome. It is literally what I was hoping my TV could look like when playing DVDs since I bought it. The 4700 has finally brought it out!

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
So, have you put it through any CD player tests or listened to the DVD-A? I need a cd player, and would rather not spend twice as much for the Pan RP91.

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have any DVD-A software and hadn't used it for CDs yet. I've got a Yamaha CD changer I'm quite happy with for that, but I can check it out tonight if you are interested. Anything specifically you're interested in from CDs?

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
Basically just a comparison of its quality to some other CD player. Ideally I'd like you to tell me it's better than the old Audio Alchemy stuff that I have or perhaps some other CD player that I could listen too, but even a subjective, "doesn't sound awful" would help. I'm trying to avoid spending twice as much on the Pan RP91, but will if it makes a much better CD player.
Thanks.

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
4700? I looked everywhere for a JVC 4700 dvd player and i couldn't find one with that model number, not even on JVC's website....Where could I look at one online?

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
OK, finally had a chance to look at some stuff. I went over and over the end of chapter 3 and beginning of chapter 4 of toy story. The only place I could see anything either not quite as defined as other areas or with MINOR horiz lines/artifacting was when Woody is standing behind the drum with the red lid. On the very bottom of the lid on the furthest right and left side, when paused - you can see some degredation of detail and slight horiz. lines. That's it, no combing in Woody's knees when walking, etc. Nothing like that.
As far a using it as a CD player, I agree, DVD players don't make good CD players, that being said, Compared to my Yamaha 5 disc changer it sounds only slightly brighter, a bit more harsh. However, this could easily be due to the fact that the DVD player is connected digitally and the CD player is connected analog.
That's my final $.02. I'm still very happy with the player as I don't need it to be a cd, MP3 or CDRW player, I just need it to look great playing DVDs. And for that it rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks