What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture Restored Director's Edition and Six-Movie Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I pulled the trigger on pre-ordering the box of junk version because I was able to find a retailer in Canada offering a pre-order AND selling it below MSRP.

I'll pre-order the 6-movie UHD box once a similarly Canadian pre-order deal surfaces (it's not on Zavvi yet). If any forum members spot a Canadian pre-order for the 6-movie set pleases let me know!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
If I am reading the other site correctly the box of junk version is selling well. Paramount apparently knows it's audience.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
TMP is one of favorite Trek films (next to 'Khan), so I am considering buying the "box of junk" - which might contain a remastered version of the theatrical version I read on another site - any verification about this?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TMP is one of favorite Trek films (next to 'Khan), so I am considering buying the "box of junk" - which might contain a remastered version of the theatrical version I read on another site - any verification about this?

The big box includes all three cuts in 4K UHD - the directors edition, the theatrical version (same master used on the 2021 release), and the special longer version.

It does not include any of the versions on regular Blu-ray.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Don't know why one of the stickers included with the box of junk says "Beam Me Up Mr. Spock". How often did Spock operate the transporter? They should change it to Scotty .

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Comes with a poster and Lobby Cards. All you need is a box office, ticket taker, and a candy stand with a popcorn machine and you can pretend you are going to the movies in 1979.

Get a couple strangers to start puffing on some unfiltered Camels behind you and the experience is complete!

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I absolutely adore TMP enough that I thought nothing of pulling the trigger on the preorder for the big box o' junk set, and I'll probably get a UHD player so I can delve through every cut of the film in the set. This set contains nearly everything I had on my wishlist for my dream version of a blu-ray release, so I'm not gonna complain about what we're about to receive.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
wonder if there are any new extras of cutting-room footage, or if it's only stuff carried over from the old DVD?

I recall one of the set's producers proclaiming in a twitter thread that 'yes, i've seen all the existing memory wall footage, but I'll save you the trouble...it's boring.' Basically, saying his verdict is enough to warrant it not being included as an extra.

I think most hard-core fans would like the opportunity to judge that for themselves and would like to not only see more footage from that sequence, but other filmed/cut scenes, such as the guards firing phasers at the probe, additional "Phase II" test footage, etc. This is perhaps the last chance for a 'holy grail of unseen footage' from this time period.

Of course, Paramount may have been too stingy with the budget for this to happen, too

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I recall one of the set's producers proclaiming in a twitter thread that 'yes, i've seen all the existing memory wall footage, but I'll save you the trouble...it's boring.' Basically, saying his verdict is enough to warrant it not being included as an extra.
I've been rather annoyed by this attitude they've had. Yes, we all know the stories about how it wasn't working and that Trumbull came in to save the day, but we're all TMP fans clamoring for this set. We've been wanting to see this footage practically since the film was released, so why include others but not the most legendary one for some pretty lame excuse? Who cares if it's boring or not, why let it sit and rot in the vaults?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Paramount really sucks and no way will I pay for their discs that you have to start from the beginning everytime you watch the disc then also wait for FBI warnings etc. And then there’s their double and triple dips. No way.
Having said that I’d probably buy either one on Black Friday when it’s half off or more as neither one is a “limited edition”.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am happy that Paramount refrained from a 10-movie collection

I am also not as huge a fan of the Picard era as I am of TOS.

I think it would have been a disaster to release the entire movie collection at once. It would have been cost-prohibitive for most people.

Well maybe not a 10 movie set together but maybe better if they would have put out the 6 movie set and a separate Next Generation 4 movie set. That would be a way for those who enjoy the Next Generation fans to fill in the collection. And at the same time the fans that are not into those films get only the original 6. But at some point I feel they all need to be available even separately on 4K blu-ray.

I just want to add film 5 - 6 to the 4 film set I have now then add the last 4 movies when ever they hit 4K blu-ray. Don't necessarily need everything in one set.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Back in the day I bought the ST movies in Blu-ray, except for the Star Trek The Motion Picture, for I wanted the Directors cut. Now it's ordered, but I feel the need for a Blu-ray oh the Theatrical release. Hello Amazon. Lol

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Get a couple strangers to start puffing on some unfiltered Camels behind you and the experience is complete!
For many people you would have to have the water spots on the prints that didn't have time to dry - like my theater. Also most theaters were "no smoking" so it would more than likely be an "herbal blend" with the exit doors held open to let the smell out but that really just forced the smell to the back of the theater :cool:! Of course that would be more likely for 70s retro showings of Fantasia and 2001: A Space(d) Odyssey ;)!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Paramount really sucks and no way will I pay for their discs that you have to start from the beginning everytime you watch the disc then also wait for FBI warnings etc. And then there’s their double and triple dips. No way.
Having said that I’d probably buy either one on Black Friday when it’s half off or more as neither one is a “limited edition”.
I agree that Paramount discs should have the resume feature.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I will probably do some due diligence on a 4K disc player to see if it’s a viable option for me, to view the UHD version of the Special Longer Version - but there’s something truly absurd about buying a 4K player to downconvert to HD to view something that was only ever intended to be seen in standard definition.

I could be misinformed but everything I’ve read about downconverting UHD to view on an HD screen warns of the perils of converting the wider UHD color gamut to the standard HD color gamut and I just don’t want to spend hundreds on a player to wind up with something that looks terrible on my setup.
I feel your pain as I do not have 4K capabilities either (can you say "Raiders of the Lost Ark?").

I bought TMP twice on VHS. Once on Laser Disc. Three times on DVD (including DE). And now three times on BD (including DE). That's nine times I bought the movie, yet I'm being denied the SLV. So I have decided to acquire it through "other means." That said, if it's ever officially released on BD, I'll buy it. My point, I would look into "other means" before jumping through all the hoops above, though I admire your determination.

Someone mentioned reading an online article that explained why the matte lines were left in. I would very much like to know why? There's little question in my mind if Wise could have taken them out in 1979, he would have.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I understand the frustration at not being able to buy the Complete Adventure box set and not have a standard blu ray of the SLV included. My attitude before I upgraded my display was to buy 4K discs that included the blu ray. This way I was set when I was 4K ready. But in this case, your only option for the SLV is the 4K disc. I know it’s expensive, if you have the means, and want the SLV, buy it now. It may never come again.

I can only guess at why this set was configured the way it is. I would not automatically blame Paramount and assume this was a cost reduction decision to not include the Blu ray versions. My guess is there was input from Mr. Fein and Matessino too. it’s not a cut Mr. Wise approved and so it’s a bonus feature for the hard core fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks