What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture Restored Director's Edition and Six-Movie Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
What's the rationale for that?
Clearly if you know STC you know it's all a big
curse you william shatner GIF
KHAAAAAN! ;)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I understand the frustration at not being able to buy the Complete Adventure box set and not have a standard blu ray of the SLV included. My attitude before I upgraded my display was to buy 4K discs that included the blu ray. This way I was set when I was 4K ready. But in this case, your only option for the SLV is the 4K disc. I know it’s expensive, if you have the means, and want the SLV, buy it now. It may never come again.

I can only guess at why this set was configured the way it is. I would not automatically blame Paramount and assume this was a cost reduction decision to not include the Blu ray versions. My guess is there was input from Mr. Fein and Matessino too. it’s not a cut Mr. Wise approved and so it’s a bonus feature for the hard core fans.
Well, it's also clearly meant as a extra inducement to buy the box set. Chances are, it will be made available on a regular Bluray eventually.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
In addition to my previous order, I may have also ordered the standard 4k disc of TMP de as well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's also clearly meant as a extra inducement to buy the box set. Chances are, it will be made available on a regular Bluray eventually.

On one hand, the SLV is so niche that it seems hard to believe it'd ever get a solo release.

On the other hand, Paramount puts out so many recycled releases that would seem to have little audience that... maybe?

I mean, they will soon put out a steelbook of freaking "Good Burger" even though the original BD just came out last year!

Britton

Screenwriter
Not sure if this is the right place to post this deal, but Amazon has the 4 movie set for $39.99 for Prime Day. Exclusive to Prime members. I think I can live this, maybe sell off the digital codes (HD digital copies I bought years ago already upgraded to 4K on iTunes) , and then pick up V and VI on the cheap.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not sure if this is the right place to post this deal, but Amazon has the 4 movie set for $39.99 for Prime Day. Exclusive to Prime members. I think I can live this, maybe sell off the digital codes (HD digital copies I bought years ago already upgraded to 4K on iTunes) , and then pick up V and VI on the cheap.

Remember though that the version of TMP that's included in the four movie set is not the new restored Director's Edition, so if you want that you'll have to buy the new release of #1 as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Zavvi site is now indicating the 4K discs are REGION Free - whilst the Blu-ray disks are REGION B ...
View attachment 144536

All 4K discs are region free, so no surprise there.

I suspect the BDs will be region free (all other Trek discs from Paramount have been) - it’s pretty standard for retailers to label UK releases Region B even if they’re not - but I’m all region so I can handle it either way.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
All 4K discs are region free, so no surprise there.

I suspect the BDs will be region free (all other Trek discs from Paramount have been) - it’s pretty standard for retailers to label UK releases Region B even if they’re not - but I’m all region so I can handle it either way.
Agree. Both US and UK Blu-ray versions of STTMP I've owned were region-free, so I'm sure these will be too. (90% of my US-bought and supposedly 'Region A locked' BD discs are region-free and vice-versa.)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FYI, some but not all of the UHD singles for II-VI have dropped to $19.99 at Amazon - price matching Bullmoose maybe? I’m guessing they’ll all land there eventually but I don’t know if this is a quick price drop or if it’ll stay there for a while.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I think they're more likely price matching Best Buy which for some strange reason just yesterday listed Star Trek 2 through 5 at $19.99. Amazon match the price on 2, 4, and 5 but not 3, 1 or 6. I wonder if they were trying to price match Best Buy and simply forgot to do number three and since the other two movies we're not listed at all at Best Buy they didn't have any reason to price match those

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think they're more likely price matching Best Buy which for some strange reason just yesterday listed Star Trek 2 through 5 at $19.99. Amazon match the price on 2, 4, and 5 but not 3, 1 or 6. I wonder if they were trying to price match Best Buy and simply forgot to do number three and since the other two movies we're not listed at all at Best Buy they didn't have any reason to price match those
Best Buy doesn't have a listing at all for VI, the TMP box of junk, or the 1-6 box set. Bull Moose is missing the TMP box of junk and the 1-6 box set as well. What a cluster. I'll also say that the search engine Bull Moose uses on its website is pathetically bad.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
when calculated Box set over the indivigual releases, it'a whoppy $5.95 savings...yeah, I was impressed too!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just my opinion, but this box set with the Special Longer Version is aimed at the long time fan who has been one of the vocal ones who wanted a Blade Runner type box set that includes each version of the film that was ever available. The beauty of the box and unexpected bonus is the SLV has been redone in 4K. Plus Kirk’s space walk where he exists the airlock has been digitally completed to remove the studio set scaffolding.

Based on David Fein’s comments that once this set is gone, there will not be another release of the SLV, I would tend to believe it will not be re-issued. And not re-issued as a blu ray. But then if this is a super popular title, all bets are off.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just my opinion, but this box set with the Special Longer Version is aimed at the long time fan who has been one of the vocal ones who wanted a Blade Runner type box set that includes each version of the film that was ever available. The beauty of the box and unexpected bonus is the SLV has been redone in 4K. Plus Kirk’s space walk where he exists the airlock has been digitally completed to remove the studio set scaffolding.

Based on David Fein’s comments that once this set is gone, there will not be another release of the SLV, I would tend to believe it will not be re-issued. And not re-issued as a blu ray. But then if this is a super popular title, all bets are off.
Agreed. As such I ordered 2 copies.

I’ve never ordered one of these box of junk releases until now.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow Tim, buying two sets! That’s dedication. I’ve done that before for other releases. I might do the same. One for safe keeping.

Thanks Rodney for the heads up on Best Buy. I was beginning to wonder if they’d put these up for pre-order. With this set, I’ll not trust it to Amazon to ship me a smashed up box.

Britton

Screenwriter
I see that the theatrical and SLV will be on the same disc and seamless branching will be used. I hope that means this particular disc will have a true version of the theatrical cut and the problematic "fixes" that were done for last year's 4K release will no longer be present (the shot of the Enterprise pulling out of dry dock is soft and the removal of the mounting arm for the Enterprise model is VERY poorly done).

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
That's a depressive display of optimism that they would bother to go back and unfix what they tried to fix. I'd say the chances of that are zero

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks