What's new

PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Fully Restored Director's Edition (4k UHD) (Paramount+ Streaming) (1 Viewer)

yamato72

Agent
Real Name
Marc Fenneuff
The Digital Bits has posted cover art for TMP-VI UHDs. So glad to see the return of the vintage poster art.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm glad we have a time frame for the next batch of movies...something to look forward to in September. All I need to do is wait on the digitals to update and then I'm good to go.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Via the Bits: https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062222-0830

startrektmpdetemp4kuhdbrd_lg.jpg

startrek3temp4kuhdbrd_lg.jpg

startrek2temp4kuhdbrd_lg.jpg

startrek4temp4kuhdbrd_lg.jpg

startrek5temp4kuhdbrd_lg.jpg

startrek6temp4kuhdbrd_lg.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not yet sure if I’ll try to sell off the four pack and do the new six pack, or if I’ll just pick up the DE of TMP and V and VI on their own - it’ll probably come down to price.

If anyone wants a good deal on the 1-4 set from last year let me know. Only watched each BD once, never touched the UHD discs, and the digital copies haven’t been redeemed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’m not yet sure if I’ll try to sell off the four pack and do the new six pack, or if I’ll just pick up the DE of TMP and V and VI on their own - it’ll probably come down to price.

If anyone wants a good deal on the 1-4 set from last year let me know. Only watched each BD once, never touched the UHD discs, and the digital copies haven’t been redeemed.

I waited on buying that initial 4-pack sort of figuring this would happen.

As much as I prefer the Director's Cut of ST: TMP, the question I have is, will the theatrical cut be included, or do you need to get the 4-pack for that edition? It sort of seems, according to the artwork, it's one or the other.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Guess we’ll find out soon enough. I don’t regret the earlier purchase - we probably wouldn’t be getting these newly announced sets at all if the first set tanked so I’m happy to have done my part, and I enjoyed seeing the remastered versions of those films last year.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Same. I just listed my box set on eBay…
If there is a 1-6 set I will pick that one up…

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It wasn’t clear if the new six film box set includes the Theatrical Cut of the Motion Picture. The images on The Digital Bits implies the six film box set only has the Directors Edition. Don’t sell it yet! It would be great if the DE set included the Theatrical Cut.

I’m holding onto everything.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It wasn’t clear if the new six film box set includes the Theatrical Cut of the Motion Picture. The images on The Digital Bits implies the six film box set only has the Directors Edition. Don’t sell it yet! It would be great if the DE set included the Theatrical Cut.

Yeah, it kind of makes a sick sense that Paramount would give us the Director's Cut this time out but give those that want the theatrical cut a reason to buy or hold on to the previous set. From a marketing standpoint, brilliant.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

I had that thought but honestly I’ll probably never watch the theatrical cut again. I really prefer the directors edition.

I have the theatrical on iTunes too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m really agnostic over which product configuration I end up with when all is said and done. If it’s cheaper to add discs to the set I have rather than starting over with a new set, that’s perfectly fine. I’m just happy that it’s coming out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I’m really agnostic over which product configuration I end up with when all is said and done. If it’s cheaper to add discs to the set I have rather than starting over with a new set, that’s perfectly fine. I’m just happy that it’s coming out.
Yeah, as long as I can TMP: DE, V and VI on their own, I don't really care either.

Britton

Screenwriter
I like that V and VI are finally getting a UHD release, but it grinds my gears that I just bought the I-IV UHD box set last fall and now Paramount is already asking me to double dip again. In times past when there was a Hastings Video here, I would have simply sold the box set to them for store credit of 50-60% of MSRP then turned around and used that credit to buy other used discs. (They never sold new discs below MSRP so I only bought used from them and new from other retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, or Target.) That option is gone now so I either have to deal with selling on eBay or try a local FB marketplace group if I want to make a few bucks. I don’t really have the free time to deal with all that so I’ll most likely just donate them to Goodwill along with about two dozen other titles I’ve upgraded to either blu or UHD in the past couple of years. As soon as I’m over Covid, I have a couple of boxes of clothes and Christmas decorations to donate so I’ll probably just put the discs in with those.

Sorry to have derailed the thread. Back on topic: I really hope that VI is the director’s / home video cut and not the theatrical release. It doesn’t have to the the only cut available, but I would like it as an option. I missed seeing it in theaters when it was released in 1991 and first watched it on VHS from a local video store the day it released for rental. Until I bought the Blu-ray boxed set in 2009, I was unaware that I had been watching an alternate cut for the last 18 years and immediately disliked the cuts that were made for the theatrical release.
It won’t be the cut you saw on VHS if it’s the Director’s Cut that was on the DVD release in 2004.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It won’t be the cut you saw on VHS if it’s the Director’s Cut that was on the DVD release in 2004.

There are at least three different cuts of the film - the original theatrical version, the “home video version” that appeared on VHS and Laserdisc, and the “special collector’s edition” that appeared on the DVD. The VHS and DVD versions are very similar. I personally prefer the added scenes on the VHS version without the flash frames added to the interrogation scene on the DVD - Meyer in his commentary said he added them for clarity but I don’t think it was necessary, and it breaks the momentum of that scene’s brutal mind meld.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I own a copy of the 10 movie "Stardate Collection" on BR. It's not perfect but, IMHO, is good enough for the theatrical releases. All I'm interested in is the "DCs" for those entries which had one created. I've purchased Wrath of Khan DC release and will just purchase any of the rest that receive one separately, ignoring any additional sets/collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks