What's new

Perry Mason HBO Miniseries! Spoiler Alert Advisory (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
He was in the preview for next week’s episode.
Even without the commercial, I think you could safely assume that he'd be back because that's what happens in TV shows. Much as I love Shea Whigham and I'm glad he'll presumably be in the second season, I think it would have been cool if his character never appeared again since it would have been different.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you want my guess its this..

The baby in the street IS Charlie Dodson, the real one. The baby found at Angel's Flight is probably that of the Chinese prostitute. With a lack of forensic evidence and no DNA testing you could easily swap one baby for another, especially if the dead baby is disfigured enough to be unrecognizable. The whole kidnapping plot was set up by Birdy, Ennis, Gannon, and Seidel as a means to refinance the church and create publicity for Sister Alice. Two birds with one stone.

That makes sense and would be a good twist, but I don't think we avoid the classic moment of Mason unraveling Ennis on the stand (and maybe he reveals that connection). But then why did Birdy want to run away with Sister Alice before the 'resurrection?'

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
OK. I don't agree with this but:" Spoiler tags are needed for any previews/trailers for the next week's episode. "

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
First of all, don't read any further if you haven't seen the finale. I warned you.

I loved the 'fake out' beginning. We were all expecting that Ennis witness stand confrontation, and they gave it to us... with a twist. It was just speculative. And we were spanked by Hamilton, "No one confesses on the witness stand!" Ha! And with that out of the way they could go further defying expectations.

Perry Mason cheats! Raymond Burr is spinning in his... well, maybe just turning his neck a bit. And Perry really didn't need to. That was a good way to show he will do anything for this client, but he doesn't trust his own powers yet.

So the twist that the baby Birdy 'found' was not some concealed Charlie plot, but still provided Emily comfort going forward was a good compromise resolution.

And what of Sister Alice's alter ego appearance? Perry somehow tracked her down, and there were hints of an attraction. Hmmm.

I thought Ennis was going to be set up as a continuing nemesis going forward in the series, but was glad to see his outcome.

Also glad Pete lived, even though he's going to work for Hamilton.

And the end theme music? Have we not been perfectly set up for the series going forward with all pieces in place. I hope they go with several cases and not just one next time around. But I have no complaints, other than I was very sad to see this end here.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I too loved the opening fakerooskie. What a way to send very specific homage to the original series. At the end, did Perry 1) Accuse the church of kid napping Charlie to save the church; and 2) Did he accuse Sister Alice of leading the kid napping plot or at least going along with it?

In any of the novels, did Mason cheat big time like this?

That scene with Emily proclaiming the baby a resurrected Charlie in spirit, at least. Oh my, as Barnum said, “there’s one born every minute.”

They sure did tie up everyone’s situation, some had rougher than others.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And what of Sister Alice's alter ego appearance? Perry somehow tracked her down, and there were hints of an attraction. Hmmm.
It was Drake that tracked her down. I'm not sure it's an attraction, but more of a realization that both of them are lost souls seeking redemption.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they definitely pulled the wool over my eyes with that opening.

Kind of shocked at the reveal with Pete and one of the jurors.

Sister Alice was presented in such a way throughout the series that I highly doubt that she was involved in the plot. I'm a little less certain of Birdy, whom as I previously commented doesn't seem to have a line that she won't cross.

Guess Ennis' partner had to tie up some loose ends. Now if they find his corpse with his eyes stitched open. (Morbid, I know.)

Agree that the variation on the score over the closing credits was really well done

Happy to see that Pete is still around and it will be interesting to see what his interactions with Mason (I assume there will be some) will entail in season two.

Tremendous first season.

- Walter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Speaking of a 2nd season, the world being what it is, maybe every series will go on an Avatar schedule. :huh:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've started watching this show and so far I like it! As sometimes happens with TV shows today the production values and performances have a movie-level quality. Makes you really feel like you're back in the early 30s in LA.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching all 8 episodes of this series.

I am not a huge fan of film noir and went into the first few episodes of this series with a little pessimism.

However, I stuck with it and quickly found myself immersed in the characters that comprised the mystery as well as the incredible production values that brought the time period of the early 1930s to life. It reminded me of BOARDWALK EMPIRE which is a series I absolutely loved.

The cast is superb, most notably Matthew Rhys, John, Lithgow, Chris Chalk, Stephen Root, and Juliet Rylance.

Looking forward to March 6th when the series returns. Haven't yet looked at the cast and I am hoping to be as surprised as I was with this season's A-list actors. Also hoping to join the current forum discussion as the second season unfolds.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yesterday we sat down to watch the first two episodes of Season Two

The season is off to a great start!

Not going to spoil anything here but will say that we continue to be extremely impressed by the art design and authenticity of the period including the grandeur of the sets.

I like the story that is set in place and simply from these first two episodes alone, it looks like we are in for another stellar season.

If you have the time, watch the after-show recap. It's great seeing the behind-the-scenes stuff as well as the director and cast overview. It's quite amazing to see how different the actors look in real life, which is a credit to the makeup and costume departments.

Look forward to discussing future episodes with all of you. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks