What's new

WHV Press Release: Perry Mason: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One of the most beautiful series ever made
– INDIE WIRE​

"’Perry Mason’ is a worthy origin story, and it's especially stirring when Perry at last begins to realize the power contained in the law, and his own arc bends toward justice."
-WASHINGTON POST

2020-09-22_11-53-04.png

HBO’s Critically Acclaimed Crime Drama
Perry Mason: The Complete First Season
Comes to Blu-ray™ and DVD on
December 1, 2020
By Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

Release Includes All Eight Season One Episodes Plus Bonus Content

BURBANK, CA (September 21, 2020) -- Prepare to step back in time and experience 1930s Los Angeles noir in HBO’s critically acclaimed period drama Perry Mason: The Complete First Season, available on Blu-ray™ and DVD December 1, 2020 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Praised by critics and viewers, consumers will be able to own all eight episodes of the series’ exciting debut season along with bonus content. Perry Mason: The Complete First Season is priced to own at $24.98 SRP ($29.98 in Canada) for the DVD and $29.98 SRP ($39.99 in Canada) for the Blu-ray™ which includes a Digital Code (US Only). Perry Mason: The Complete First Season is also available to own on Digital via purchase from digital retailers.

Perry Mason: The Complete First Season follows the origins of American fiction’s most legendary criminal defense lawyer, Perry Mason. When the case of the decade breaks down his door, Mason’s relentless pursuit of the truth reveals a fractured city and just maybe, a pathway to redemption for himself.

Based on characters created by author Erle Stanley Gardner, Perry Mason stars Emmy®-winner Matthew Rhys, Juliet Rylance, Chris Chalk, Shea Whigham, with Emmy-winner® Tatiana Maslany and Emmy®-winner John Lithgow. The series also stars Stephen Root, Gayle Rankin, Nate Corddry, Veronica Falcón, Jefferson Mays, Lili Taylor, Andrew Howard, Eric Lange, and Robert Patrick. Executive Producers are (in alphabetical order) Amanda Burrell, Robert Downey Jr., Susan Downey, Ron Fitzgerald, Joe Horacek, Rolin Jones and Tim Van Patten (who also directs); co-executive producer, Aida Rodgers; producer, Matthew Rhys.

Perry Mason is a complex and compelling series that’s superbly acted and produced,” said Rosemary Markson, WBHE Senior Vice President, TV Marketing. She added, “1930s Los Angeles is recreated with amazing detail and realism. Viewers will be transported to another time and experience the story behind Perry Mason, the character on which the original novels are based. Fans of crime dramas and film noir won’t want to miss out on owning this remarkable series on Blu-ray™.”

8 One-Hour Episodes:

1. Chapter 1
  1. Chapter 5
  1. Chapter 2
  1. Chapter 6
  1. Chapter 3
  1. Chapter 7
  1. Chapter 4
  1. Chapter 8

Bonus Material:

• Robert Downey Jr. & Matthew Rhys Conversation
  • Robert Downey Jr. & Susan Downey Conversation
  • The Characters of Perry Mason
  • Under the Fedora

Digital
Perry Mason: The Complete First Season is currently available to own on Digital. Digital allows consumers to instantly stream and download all episodes to watch anywhere and anytime on their favorite devices. Digital is available from various retailers including Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play, Vudu, PlayStation, Xbox and others.

The Basics

Perry Mason: The Complete First Season
Street Date:​
December 1, 2020​
SRP (United States):​
$29.98 (BD + Digital Code)
$24.98 (SD)​
SRP (Canada)​
$39.99 (BD)
$29.98 (SD)​
Running Time:​
480 min. approx. (feature)
15 min. approx. (enhanced content)​
Configuration​
BD: 2 BD-50s + Digital Code (US)
BD: 2 BD-50s (Canada)​
SD: 2 DVD-9s (US and Canada)
Aspect Ratio:​
16x9 Widescreen​
Audio:​
BD: English 5.1
SD: English 5.1​
Subtitles:​
BD: English
DVD: English​

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you’ve got a steaming device and want to split the difference between being a full time subscriber and paying full price on the show, it’s pretty easy to sign up for HBO Now/Max for a month, binge and cancel. Obviously that doesn’t help anyone looking to own the show on physical media but that might be an acceptable alternative if you just want to see it. I usually sign up for HBO when they have something that interests me and then cancel as soon as it ends; I don’t think of myself as a permanent HBO subscriber.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If you’ve got a steaming device and want to split the difference between being a full time subscriber and paying full price on the show, it’s pretty easy to sign up for HBO Now/Max for a month, binge and cancel. Obviously that doesn’t help anyone looking to own the show on physical media but that might be an acceptable alternative if you just want to see it. I usually sign up for HBO when they have something that interests me and then cancel as soon as it ends; I don’t think of myself as a permanent HBO subscriber.
Except since they still don't offer HBOMAX on Roku and Amazon that's not an option for 55% of the streaming market.

Tom.W

Second Unit
I watched the first episode and was not blown away. I suppose it depends what you're looking for. This series bears no relation to the Burr series except for the characters' names. The procedural aspect of the original was not in what I saw or in descriptions of other episodes. I don't mean to denigrate the quality of the production. Mason just seemed like more of a cop than a lawyer to me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a person that watched the new series in its entirety, I firmly disagree with the last couple of posts denigrating this new series.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
What I'm about to say is a spoiler for the first episode so keep that in mind if you keep reading.

I was put off with the death of a baby in the first episode. I'm not a fan of killing babies for drama. It simply set a tone that I really didn't want to continue watching. If the show has a long run and continues to be acclaimed, I might reconsider.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
This series bears no relation to the Burr series except for the characters' names ... Mason just seemed like more of a cop than a lawyer to me.

Tom:
I don't think this is meant to be anything like the TV series, which of course, wasn't where the characters originated anyway. In the original novels, Perry Mason wasn't a saint, and wasn't above breaking the law himself if it meant winning a case.

I think the TV series is supposed to be an origin story telling how he later becomes a lawyer.

I've only watched episode 1 so far, but while it seems like it might be worthwhile, it falls into the 'HBO trap' in that it just can't go without saying "hey, we're adult! Look, here some boobies! Look, here's some F-words". That whole sequence in the first half with Chubby, the screen starlet, and the 'food' was a huge turn-off for my wife, and she would have been fine not watching any further than that. Can't say I was a huge fan of that sequence, either.

To me, that sequence is just like most of the pay-cable original programming from the '80s... thrown in just to be gratuitous and 'adult', rather than to be integral to the story. Some of the language, also, just seems to be shoe-horned in.

Production values are excellent, they've got some excellent cast, I just may have to watch the rest of it alone because HBO couldn't resist going for the really obvious "hey, look, this is TV for grown-ups" scene in the first half.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude. It's just that with some of these shows (and I'll include Westworld here, too), the sex, nudity and language--more often than not--doesn't really feel organic. It feels tacked-on and included "just because we can."

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The series feels more inspired by Chinatown than anything else.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Tom:
I don't think this is meant to be anything like the TV series, which of course, wasn't where the characters originated anyway. In the original novels, Perry Mason wasn't a saint, and wasn't above breaking the law himself if it meant winning a case.

I think the TV series is supposed to be an origin story telling how he later becomes a lawyer.

I've only watched episode 1 so far, but while it seems like it might be worthwhile, it falls into the 'HBO trap' in that it just can't go without saying "hey, we're adult! Look, here some boobies! Look, here's some F-words". That whole sequence in the first half with Chubby, the screen starlet, and the 'food' was a huge turn-off for my wife, and she would have been fine not watching any further than that. Can't say I was a huge fan of that sequence, either.

To me, that sequence is just like most of the pay-cable original programming from the '80s... thrown in just to be gratuitous and 'adult', rather than to be integral to the story. Some of the language, also, just seems to be shoe-horned in.

Production values are excellent, they've got some excellent cast, I just may have to watch the rest of it alone because HBO couldn't resist going for the really obvious "hey, look, this is TV for grown-ups" scene in the first half.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude. It's just that with some of these shows (and I'll include Westworld here, too), the sex, nudity and language--more often than not--doesn't really feel organic. It feels tacked-on and included "just because we can."

Point well taken, Andy. As I mentioned, I wasn't trying to denigrate the new series. It has merit as a 2020 drama and certainly has excellent production values. I agree with you about the sensational aspects, which seem to be a necessity for HBO. Probably what I was hoping for was the whodunit quality of the original which kept audiences coming back each week. I may check the new series out again at some point.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Point well taken, Andy. As I mentioned, I wasn't trying to denigrate the new series. It has merit as a 2020 drama and certainly has excellent production values. I agree with you about the sensational aspects, which seem to be a necessity for HBO. Probably what I was hoping for was the whodunit quality of the original which kept audiences coming back each week. I may check the new series out again at some point.
I'd still like to see the 1973-74 series released, even on DVD MOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks