What's new

Perry Mason HBO Miniseries! Spoiler Alert Advisory (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Late to the party, but it was indeed fun.

So Della essentially creates Perry Mason. That was a great scene where she is listening to him speak passionately about Emily's innocence, and the lightbulbs are glowing. A quick forgery later, and we have our Perry Mason. (After he passes the Bar, of course).

Hamilton Burger, ironically, also in on the creation. At first I thought they were going to go all Joe Shapiro (how's that for an oblique reference?) and somehow take the Bar for him, but I guess he just provides him the answers since the test hasn't changed from 1923. I hope Justin Kirk sticks around for another season to become Mason's courtroom nemesis.

That really was a stretch of Santa Monica beach Paul Drake was chilling on. You can see the restroom pavilion in the background. I used to park my car in the lot overlooking that section and write in my car while watching the sun set. And I was never kicked off by a police officer!

Gretchen Mol as Perry's ex! Another Boardwalk Empire alumni. And hopefully never having relations with her son.

Seeing the guy in the wheelchair walk at Sister Alice's urging hit a little close to home for me all of a sudden. I think Elmer Gantry just used plants.

E.B.'s son perfectly cast!

It was quite thrilling to watch this show take a turn for the less dreary (though we love our Noir) and bring Mason to life. Kudos.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Late to the party, but it was indeed fun.

So Della essentially creates Perry Mason. That was a great scene where she is listening to him speak passionately about Emily's innocence, and the lightbulbs are glowing. A quick forgery later, and we have our Perry Mason. (After he passes the Bar, of course).

Hamilton Burger, ironically, also in on the creation. At first I thought they were going to go all Joe Shapiro (how's that for an oblique reference?) and somehow take the Bar for him, but I guess he just provides him the answers since the test hasn't changed from 1923. I hope Justin Kirk sticks around for another season to become Mason's courtroom nemesis.

That really was a stretch of Santa Monica beach Paul Drake was chilling on. You can see the restroom pavilion in the background. I used to park my car in the lot overlooking that section and write in my car while watching the sun set. And I was never kicked off by a police officer!

Gretchen Mol as Perry's ex! Another Boardwalk Empire alumni. And hopefully never having relations with her son.

Seeing the guy in the wheelchair walk at Sister Alice's urging hit a little close to home for me all of a sudden. I think Elmer Gantry just used plants.

E.B.'s son perfectly cast!

It was quite thrilling to watch this show take a turn for the less dreary (though we love our Noir) and bring Mason to life. Kudos.
That Paul Drake scene reminded of stories I heard from grandfather and it brought tears to my eyes thinking how people of color were treated in the so-called good ole days.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I do not know what’s doing to happen but is it a spoiler to say
Mason’s detective partner is the type of character to get killed?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I do not know what’s doing to happen but is it a spoiler to say
Mason’s detective partner is the type of character to get killed?
Most of us have been talking about that happening since last week so I don't think it's a spoiler, but more like speculation that's going to happen.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Glad there will be a second season, as I am enjoying it quite a bit. One thing that's been bothering me, though: does anyone find the score in this show intrusive and grating? Every time you're about to feel any emotion in this show, and those damn couple piano keys come in for about the 400th time. (And I really like Terence Blanchard's work in other films). I get the noir vibe they're going for, it's just too repetitive and not working for me.

Other than that, starting to really enjoy the way the cast has been bouncing off each other, and excited by the newest episode shedding some of the prequel vibes and setting up some prime Perry Mason.

Also, sad to lose E.B. going forward, but thought it was a nice touch to get John Lithgow's real son to appear for the cemetery scene.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some random thoughts regarding this evening's episode...

Pretty explosive episode with all of the courtroom drama in tonight's episode. While it was extremely manipulative, it was compellingly manipulative which makes it okay.

With the caveat that I don't know anything about what is and isn't permitted in court, it sure felt like letting the jury see the autopsy photos was kind of tipping the scales of justice to put it mildly.

As far as the Prison Matron's testimony, will Sister Alice be called to the stand to refute her testimony?

I am really enjoying the Paul Drake character and Chris Chalk's performance and I am eager to see his character progression in the series to where we know he eventually lands.

Shea Whigham continues to have the best lines.... "If you don't mind me saying, you have a colorful way with language." :)

Really, really enjoyed this episode and looking forward to the conclusion of season one.

- Walter.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Isn't it true that this was the first time we heard Perry Mason use the phrase, "Isn't it true?" several times. I guess he will eventually learn that it is easier and still grammatically correct to just say, "Is it true?"

Don't you want to just smack Stephen Root's D.A.? But he's so good, which is what makes him so disgusting.

The resurrection timetable of Charlie Dodson now makes sense in the context of the story. Not so much any supernatural hoo haa, but it gives Emily the hope of an out (along with her baby coming back to life). But I am loathe to imagine how the exhumation scene will really play out.

Rhys was simply outstanding in the dialogue he has with himself and E.B.'s legacy in the car, ending on him just screaming in frustration. His Emmy episode. Though Chris Chaulk's Paul Drake was also outstanding in his moments of facing the truth going forward.

I wonder if the second season will just focus on one case again, or give us several? Either way, what a great cast and presentation they've put together.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Another good episode launching us to the trajectory of Mason confronting the guilty party on the witness stand per the expected format related to the books and previous series.

I was a bit disappointed at the breakup scene between Perry and Pete; I just thought it was a bit melodramatic or out of the blue and convenient for Perry to start working with Paul Drake. Of course we all expected Pete to just be killed dealing with some rough characters (how many times did Ennis stab that guy?), but this seemed a bit out of nowhere after their long association.

The resurrection scene played out like a scene from Day of the Locusts with everyone going crazy. I liked the twist where Sister Alice's mother had a Plan B to salvage her daughter's reputation, and her daughter of course rejecting that ploy as dramatically as you can.

Looks like the coroner will also be taking the stand. I think that explanation of the baby's death was quite unique and interesting to the overall story.

Bring it home, Perry.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If you want my guess its this..

The baby in the street IS Charlie Dodson, the real one. The baby found at Angel's Flight is probably that of the Chinese prostitute. With a lack of forensic evidence and no DNA testing you could easily swap one baby for another, especially if the dead baby is disfigured enough to be unrecognizable. The whole kidnapping plot was set up by Birdy, Ennis, Gannon, and Seidel as a means to refinance the church and create publicity for Sister Alice. Two birds with one stone.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I advise anybody that isn't up-to-date with this series, shouldn't be reading this thread.
No details or specifics but sorry, I'll remember next time. But there is a statute of limitations on these threads. I don't go there until I've seen the episode.
Personally, I don't come into a thread unless I've seen the most current episode either or I don't mind reading a spoiler and I post assuming that others do the same. That being said, I will spoilerize if something major happens. If, let's say, Robert Patrick killed Mason or aliens showed up or something wild like that, I'd try to preserve that surprise for anyone who was just reading or not up to date.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Subject to Robert's confirmation, the forum's rule has for decades been that spoiler tags for a given episode are not needed in the official thread once that episode has aired in the USA in the eastern time zone. Spoiler tags are needed for any previews/trailers for the next week's episode. Spoiler tags are not needed for any guesswork or theorizing so long as it's not based on previews or leaks--if you are just honestly guessing what will happen there is no need to spoiler tag anything.

Using the spoiler tag for an episode that has already aired is actually bad because it dilutes the purpose of the tag. It gets to the point where you can't tell if someone has spoiler-tagged something for next week or for last week, and you either click and risk or don't click and can't respond. It negatively effects the conversation.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, another stellar episode in the best thing I'm watching right now. I haven't really focused on the writing in my posts, partly due to the exemplary acting and cinematography; but I am really enjoying the story construction and the dialog of this series. I agree that Pete's dismissal from the series did feel a bit plot driven, which might have been the weakest moment in the episode, but it was credible in the sense that Perry is playing for bigger stakes than taking damaging photos of a naughty celebrity. As much as I liked the character it is certainly a better way to leave vs. Seidel's exit and it leaves open the possibility of a cameo in season two.

Back to the topic of writing, some pretty snappy lines in this episode:

Every dog gets let out in the yard, now and again.
I didn't realize you were fucking me, so you could FUCK me!
Tell me again how you operate.

Nice to see the District Attorney eat a little shit in the courtroom. Enjoyed that quite a bit.

Sheesh, that opening scene. A good bookend for the final scene in that it shows just how far Birdy will go.

Looking forward to the Coroner's appearance next week. Really solid work by Jefferson Mays whose character stands out in a cast full of accomplished actors.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks