What's new

Perry Mason HBO Miniseries! Spoiler Alert Advisory (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Definitely an episode where the women shined. In particular Della Street's defense of Emily, busting into the room and reading the riot act to the assembled law enforcement individuals. Loved all of Sister Alice's scenes in this episode, with a great finale that hints at some major weirdness in the forthcoming episodes. Terrific series.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
No other comments about the latest episode?

Well, I didn't watch episode four until earlier this morning, hence the delay...

I'm still really enjoying the series, but this episode really felt downbeat in a lot of ways with the church elders opposing Sister Alice, E.B.s departure, the coming realization for Della that her last conversation with E.B. was rather harsh and the guilt I anticipate she will feel for how that went, Mason waxing about everyone of his family members being gone. Just a big downer in a lot of ways. About the only upbeat moments in this episode were those featuring Mason and his buddy Pete Strickland. I'm not expecting ponies with ribbons in their manes and butterflies; but sheesh it was a pretty grim episode.

I noticed the full screen Perry Mason logo (white letters) during the opening moments of the episode and I'm trying to recall if it was present in the prior episodes. (Sure I could pull up the episodes on demand, but what's the fun in that? :))

Definitely in for the full season.

Edit: I should have said E.B.s presumed departure. While unlikely, the series could be pulling a fast one and someone could come to E.B.'s aid. I didn't watch the preview for next week's episode, so it may have resolved that question on way or the other. I prefer to go into new episodes cold and usually avoid previews for that reason.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This show continues to be absolutely fantastic. Surprisingly funny, too (especially in the first three episodes: I had four or five legitimate laugh out loud moments in each).

While EB's suicide is of course tragic, if he misappropriated his clients trust funds he absolutely deserves to be disbarred. There is no excuse. I'm not sure what the California code of conduct said back in the 1930s, but it's possible the DA has an ethical duty to report EB (of course using it for leverage is itself unprofessional and serving of sanction).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This show continues to be absolutely fantastic. Surprisingly funny, too (especially in the first three episodes: I had four or five legitimate laugh out loud moments in each).

While EB's suicide is of course tragic, if he misappropriated his clients trust funds he absolutely deserves to be disbarred. There is no excuse. I'm not sure what the California code of conduct said back in the 1930s, but it's possible the DA has an ethical duty to report EB (of course using it for leverage is itself unprofessional and serving of sanction).
Hell, the DA is much dirtier than EB ever was so it's like a fox guarding a henhouse. No question EB deserved to be disbarred, but that needed to be said.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I noticed the full screen Perry Mason logo (white letters) during the opening moments of the episode and I'm trying to recall if it was present in the prior episodes. (Sure I could pull up the episodes on demand, but what's the fun in that? :))

Yes, every episode has featured that full screen title, though I'm at a loss to recall the font. I liked the way Della's movements weaved through the title almost interactively.

I think we're done with E.B. and maybe Perry Mason cleans up a bit as he takes over the case somehow.

I also have a bad feeling Pete will not survive the series and will be collateral damage to the resolution of this season (Plus, he's not a character that exists in the Perry Mason world canon).

I also predict, and this is hardly going out on a limb, no supernatural twists regarding the resurrection of Charlie Dodson. It's not Penny Dreadful (thank goodness). But I am fascinated how they will resolve her... epiphanies.

And, let's face it, Mason has already basically cracked the case and found the 'fourth man,' so really the only suspense going forward is getting Emily off. (Though I suspect that will not render her fate any less grim).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I thought it would be weird if they introduced the Perry Mason title in the fourth episode. (Thanks for the confirmation.) But for some reason, and maybe it was because it was pretty early in the episode, I just noticed it more this episode. To follow up on some of the comments and a few other thoughts about the episode...

E.B. was wrong to misappropriate funds, but he is as pure as the driven snow in comparison to the D.A. I sure hope Pete survives as Shea Whigham always seems to deliver the goods. He had the best line in the fourth episode at the Elks Club "Fidelity. Is that a deal breaker?" :)

Despite my leaving open the possibility that E.B. might survive the hummingbird over the end titles seems to reinforce the final shots of the episode and confirm his passing. Was the hummingbird a metaphor for the brevity of life? In a blink, its gone.

Not sure how they are going to resolve Sister Alice's pronouncements. I concur with Wayne that there won't be an actual resurrection. Something symbolic perhaps? I would agree that Mason has cracked the case, but in addition to exonerating Emily, I would argue that there is the matter of bringing Ennis to justice and determining if the conspiracy extends beyond Ennis and the three collaborators.

- Walter.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
My guess is that the baby is still alive. During Mason's search of the church (while Sister Alice was giving her presentation) the camera lingered on a newspaper article (I think) in a class case about how the church is a pivotal supporter of an orphanage/adoption. My guess is that the deceased baby was actually one of the orphans who died (at least I hope nobody is so monstrous as to murder an orphan for this plot...). Perhaps it's the plot of Herman Baggerly (Robert Patrick's character). He didn't like that his son's wife was unfaithful, and perhaps he also didn't really like his son (despite their apparent reconciliation). He's taken it upon himself to "remove" his grandson from the unworthy parents. So he concocts a scheme to kidnap the baby, swap it for a dead baby, and pin it all on the mother. Meanwhile, the baby is alive and well. Once the mother is executed the real baby can be "found" and Herman Baggerly can take custody. That's your resurrection.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Interesting theory, Josh. And you back your case up, admirably, though perhaps optimistically for the tone already set by this series. Still, you should have been in the writer's room, and I would welcome your twist.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, that last episode was definitely a "downer". One thing about it that bothered me is that the fourth member was conveniently at the Elks Lodge when Mason and Pete arrived there. Like others, I think Pete is a goner.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Still good film noir, but 4th episode is the weakest one so far.

I’ve been binging the original Perry Mason series via CBS All Access. No bumblers at the defense table, as it should be.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, the 5th episode was interesting enough as Perry with a strong push from Della takes the next step.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, the 5th episode was interesting enough as Perry with a strong push from Della takes the next step.

Finally.

But I grow weary of the drunkenness. My father and stepfather were alcoholics and I have very low tolerance for people that try to sooth their pain with drugs or alcohol. Self-destruction is not only unattractive, it is boring.

Mark

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Excellent fifth episode. I liked the idea of casting Ian Lithgow as E.B.s son in this episode. The voice was very similar and looking at the cast on IMDB I could see / hear why.

Another big contribution from Della in this episode. Thwarting the plans of the corrupt D.A., giving Mason the push, and arranging for his Cliff's notes version of the Bar. How appropriate that the Assistant D.A. would help Mason; perfect given the corruption at the heart of the series. Nice to see Mason finally looking a little bit more presentable. Curious what Pete is going to say about Mason's career path. That might be good for a few laughs. Drake's storyline continues to develop and I do wonder where he will be as the season concludes.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hell, I thought they dubbed John's voice so thank you for letting me know that's his real son which explains it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Excellent fifth episode. I liked the idea of casting Ian Lithgow as E.B.s son in this episode. The voice was very similar and looking at the cast on IMDB I could see / hear why.

Another big contribution from Della in this episode. Thwarting the plans of the corrupt D.A., giving Mason the push, and arranging for his Cliff's notes version of the Bar. How appropriate that the Assistant D.A. would help Mason; perfect given the corruption at the heart of the series. Nice to see Mason finally looking a little bit more presentable. Curious what Pete is going to say about Mason's career path. That might be good for a few laughs. Drake's storyline continues to develop and I do wonder where he will be as the season concludes.

- Walter.
Another thing I like about this episode is the beginning of the bond between Perry and Della. I'm not just talking about what happened towards the end of the episode, but how Della unleashed her emotions to Perry after she discovered the body.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the dialog at the mausoleum really caught my ear which is why I checked IMDB. During the viewing I was wondering if it was a dub.

One other thought about the episode... One of the attorneys interviewed by Della labeled the case 'a career killer' which means should Mason prevail it will be an incredibly high profile debut for his practice. I have been resistant to the idea that Strickland will die in the course of the first season, but I am beginning to wonder if the success will be muted by the death of his longtime friend.

I agree that the bond between Della and Mason is evolving and strengthening. Certainly when she reacts to E.B.'s fate and through the episode. For Mason's part he will remember that Della was instrumental in putting him on his new path.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree that the bond between Della and Mason is evolving and strengthening. Certainly when she reacts to E.B.'s fate and through the episode. For Mason's part he will remember that Della was instrumental in putting him on his new path.

- Walter.
Yup, it's about time he grows up, if not for himself than for his son. When they were drinking, I loved the following line from Della to Perry:

"And quite frankly, I find it offensive that you choose to mask your intelligence and decency with cynicism and slothfulness."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks