1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Penelope Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Darby67 likes this.
  2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I'm not going to read this review until I've watched the Blu-ray disc which, I've just been informed, is on its way to me. I'm very pleased and very impatient!.

3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Just give me the sequence in which a crazed Jonathan Winters chases Ms. Wood (scantily attired) around a room in a slapstick frenzy. I can do without the rest, and have for 54 years.

Darby67 likes this.
  4. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Looking forward to see it properly formatted after years of a TCM non-anamorphic recording for me. The Winters scene IMO is embarrassing because even if you're not offended by it so much by contemporary standards it's a jarring Benny Hill type moment coming after such a wonderfully stylish opening with the bank robbery that promises a different film entirely.

The scene where Natalie shames her husband into giving back the $5000 to the Salvation Army is also a brilliant moment.

5. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    Very disappointed at the latest Warner Archive Blu-ray releases. I find Penelope to be a really bad and hard to watch movie that doesn't deserve this kind of treatment. And the other selections last month weren't much better. Time for WB to look at just who is doing the selection of these titles. Such a great library to choose from to upgrade to HD and we get this flop when we could have Pajama Game, Damn Yankees...the list goes on and on.

Darby67 and Mark B like this.
  6. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Transfer looks beautiful bringing out that stylish look of 1960s New York that seems a million years away from the seedy 70s New York of "French Connection" etc. The film is still uneven but the opening robbery sequence is brilliantly executed and while the film is uneven after that (and the final twenty minutes are really the weakest alongside the bad Winters sequence), I'm glad this one finally made it after not even getting so much as a DVD release. Thank you Warner Archive!

Matt Hough likes this.
  7. disctrip

disctrip Second Unit
    Supporter

hank freitas
    You and me both. That scene and the shot of Natalie coming out of the lake in "The Great Race"

8. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The Edith Head featurette I noticed shows Natalie modeling several outfits we never see in the film, a likely sign of some cutting room floor moments.