What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough submitted a new blog post

Penelope Blu-ray Review
penelopetop.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm not going to read this review until I've watched the Blu-ray disc which, I've just been informed, is on its way to me. I'm very pleased and very impatient!.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just give me the sequence in which a crazed Jonathan Winters chases Ms. Wood (scantily attired) around a room in a slapstick frenzy. I can do without the rest, and have for 54 years.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Looking forward to see it properly formatted after years of a TCM non-anamorphic recording for me. The Winters scene IMO is embarrassing because even if you're not offended by it so much by contemporary standards it's a jarring Benny Hill type moment coming after such a wonderfully stylish opening with the bank robbery that promises a different film entirely.

The scene where Natalie shames her husband into giving back the $5000 to the Salvation Army is also a brilliant moment.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Very disappointed at the latest Warner Archive Blu-ray releases. I find Penelope to be a really bad and hard to watch movie that doesn't deserve this kind of treatment. And the other selections last month weren't much better. Time for WB to look at just who is doing the selection of these titles. Such a great library to choose from to upgrade to HD and we get this flop when we could have Pajama Game, Damn Yankees...the list goes on and on.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Transfer looks beautiful bringing out that stylish look of 1960s New York that seems a million years away from the seedy 70s New York of "French Connection" etc. The film is still uneven but the opening robbery sequence is brilliantly executed and while the film is uneven after that (and the final twenty minutes are really the weakest alongside the bad Winters sequence), I'm glad this one finally made it after not even getting so much as a DVD release. Thank you Warner Archive!

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Just give me the sequence in which a crazed Jonathan Winters chases Ms. Wood (scantily attired) around a room in a slapstick frenzy. I can do without the rest, and have for 54 years.
You and me both. That scene and the shot of Natalie coming out of the lake in "The Great Race"

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The Edith Head featurette I noticed shows Natalie modeling several outfits we never see in the film, a likely sign of some cutting room floor moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks