Pearl Harbor DTS problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Simon, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Kevin Simon

Kevin Simon Extra

Hello. When playing my Pearl Harbor DVD in DTS I notice a problem I have never heard on any other DTS disk. Every once in a while, the sound glitches/cuts out. For those with the disks, one scene in particular is on the second disk, first scene...when the bugle is playing.

The problem appears to be with the center channel...sometimes it 'cracks', other times it cuts out for a brief moment entirely.

Any ideas?

2. derek

derek Second Unit

I had a rental copy last night..and during two separate sequences in DTS playback...I got awful loud white noise practically blowing (hopefully not) my 5.1 speakers. This is my first instance of something like this happening in 3 years. One scene was in the hanger girl and guy talking and the other right before the intermission. I attributed it to a possible scratch/defective disc.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hmm, I never noticed any audio problems or dropouts when I played the whole thing. Toshiba 3108 + Sony 925

4. Kevin Simon

Kevin Simon Extra

OK. I actually just figured out the problem. I had a feature called RE-EQ (re-Equalization) on our Onkyo Receiver activated. This feature takes "the brightness"

out of DTS/Dolby recordings to compensate for not being in an actual theater. This feature was the culprit.

5. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Both myself and a friend of mine with the Onkyo 575x have noticed the same problem when Re-EQ is activated. The functions doesn't seem to get along with DTs tracks. The irony is that most modern DVD soundtracks are equalized for the home theater, and therefore don't need Re-EQ. It was designed for the good old laserdisc era, where DD and DTS tracks were usually direct dumps of masters EQ'ed for movie theaters.