What's new

Peacock Peacock - NBC/Universal Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm just waiting for the delayed Psych 2 film to premiere.

I did check out the service tonight. They have an okay selection of shows. Everything I'd want to see I already own, though... minus season 7 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the three seasons of AHHour.

House has the replacement theme song now. No fault of Peacock, that's the realities of music licensing.

They still haven't fixed season 14 of Law and Order, and are using the 15 year old syndication masters from the discs.

And that was about as deep as I went.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I tried it since it comes free with Comcast cable. Thru the Comcast X1 box the navigation was slow; some pages had to wait for video backgrounds to load (rather than a still image that would be much quicker). They have odd 'channels' devoted to sub-genres; these are continuously running so it's not like you can pick a show and watch it from the start. On one channel they were in the middle of a Greatest American Hero episode. The start times for the shows were ultra-arbitrary, stuff like 3:26, 4:14, etc. Very difficult to know when any particular thing will start.

They also have standard streaming programs where you pick what you want and watch it from start to finish. Movies, tv shows, etc. I found an episode of Murder She Wrote and watched it. No problems other than the sound disappearing for a second or two (backed up and it was there the second time). Before it ran there was an announcement something like enjoy this show with only one commercial! And then there were commercials in every break except the last one.

Last edited:

mark-edk

Second Unit
Another 'feature' of Peacock: When you watch a tv episode as soon as the closing credits begin there's a box plugging the next episode. If you don't act within 5-6 seconds or so to click down then click on cancel it will yank you out of the closing credits and start the next episode. I think I've managed to beat the clock twice out of a half-dozen tries.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm still not sure if it's the service providers or the platforms that are playing hardball as of late.
From what I've been reading it's apparently both to varying degrees. The services want the device manufacturer to pay them to have it on their device while the device mfrs want it as a "channel" a user can subscribe to directly through their portal and receive a cut every month (available on Roku Channel or Prime Channels instead of as an individual app).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From a Deadline article:
The basic tier, with about 7,500 hours of programming, is available for free. Peacock Premium, which layers in original series and other marquee titles like Jurassic Park or Alfred Hitchcock movies, is free for Comcast customers but is $5 for others. (A $5 premium on top of that eliminates ads, though the company doesn’t expect that to be a major slice of its user base.) Also commercials will run 5 minutes an hour compared to over 15 minutes an hour on commercial TV .

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Peacock will be available on Samsung Smart TVs sort of. You stream from your phone to the TV.

Get an Entire Year of Peacock Premium for Just $29.99 (normally $50), when you pre-order before July 15th. That is still with commercials but with more program choices than the free version.

How to Sign-Up for Peacock on Samsung Smart TV
Peacock for Samsung Smart TV will be available on July 15th, however only on select Samsung 2018, 2019, & 2020 Smart TV’s that support AirPlay 2. They currently don’t have a native Samsung Smart TV App. As of this writing app for Peacock not available for Iphone or Ipad. Perhaps on the 15th.

Using Peacock via AirPlay
  1. Click here to sign-up for Peacock
  2. Click here to install the Peacock iOS App on your iPhone or iPad
  3. Once installed, log-in using your Peacock credentials
  4. Make sure your Smart TV is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your iOS device
  5. Start playing a movie or show on the Peacock App and select the AirPlay icon in the top right
  6. Choose your Samsung Smart TV and it will start displaying on your television

Start streaming July 15.
Peacock Premium
No limits. Stream it all. More to watch, more to binge, and more to love.
$49.99/year$29.99/year
Get Premium
Offer valid until 7/14/20
Premium
Ad-Free

No limits. Stream it all. More to watch, more to binge, and more to love.

plus
  • adfree.svg
    Ad-Free Streaming
*Due to streaming rights, Peacock channels, events and a few shows and movies will still contain ads.
$99.99/year$79.99/year
Get Premium Ad-Free
Offer valid until 7/14/20

Samsung TVs that are compatible with AirPlay 2:

2020 8K and 4K QLED TVs
2020 Frame and Serif TV
2020 Crystal UHD TVs
2019 8K and 4K QLED TVs
2019 Frame and Serif TV
2019 4K UHD TV
2018 Frame TV
2018 QLED 4K
2018 4K UHD TV
2018 Smart Full HDTV N5300

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I tested streaming HBO GO from my iphone to my Samsung Smart TV using Air play without a problem. I had never tried it before. I was less successful streaming music using Air play to my TV. The music app didn't find the TV.

I wish they would provide a list showing what is on Peacock Free and what is on the Peacock pay tier.
At $30 for first year preorder price you are not taking much of a risk. You are however paying for a service and still getting commercials. Only thing I see on attached article is that for new shows on NBC you will only be able to see a few episodes which is like the current NBC on Demand you get with cable. New programs . Shows produced just for Peacock are available on premium only. You will be able to watch The Tonight Show and Late Night with Seth Meyer at 8 PM the same night they air in late night on the pay tier.

Not sure what the deal is with classic shows and movies. If I am mistaken please correct me.

Article says Peacock will be available on Apple TV. My Samsung Smart TV has Apple TV built in. Does that mean I wlll have access to Peacock without streaming through my Iphone?

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Two words:

More Hoda

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
From what I've been reading it's apparently both to varying degrees. The services want the device manufacturer to pay them to have it on their device while the device mfrs want it as a "channel" a user can subscribe to directly through their portal and receive a cut every month (available on Roku Channel or Prime Channels instead of as an individual app).

I bought a Nvidia Shield because of the HBO Max fiasco, after using Roku exclusively for years. If it weren't for having to keep the Roku around for the Britbox service (I've tried sideloading it onto the Shield with no luck), I'd toss the Roku in the garbage can. Getting tired of their "contract disputes". I'm interested in Peacock, so hopefully, like HBO Max, it will be available for the Shield. Otherwise, I'll live without it. Refuse to buy a THIRD device.

Don't mention any options for streaming to me which involve a smartphone, because I don't have one.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I tried it since it comes free with Comcast cable. Thru the Comcast X1 box the navigation was slow; some pages had to wait for video backgrounds to load (rather than a still image that would be much quicker). They have odd 'channels' devoted to sub-genres; these are continuously running so it's not like you can pick a show and watch it from the start. On one channel they were in the middle of a Greatest American Hero episode. The start times for the shows were ultra-arbitrary, stuff like 3:26, 4:14, etc. Very difficult to know when any particular thing will start.

They also have standard streaming programs where you pick what you want and watch it from start to finish. Movies, tv shows, etc. I found an episode of Murder She Wrote and watched it. No problems other than the sound disappearing for a second or two (backed up and it was there the second time). Before it ran there was an announcement something like enjoy this show with only one commercial! And then there were commercials in every break except the last one.
This thing really sounds like a clusterf#$k right out of the starting gate. I have xfinity, is that the same as comcast so that i can get it free?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
This thing really sounds like a clusterf#$k right out of the starting gate. I have xfinity, is that the same as comcast so that i can get it free?

Xfinity customers have been able to get it for free since April!

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I bought a Nvidia Shield because of the HBO Max fiasco, after using Roku exclusively for years. If it weren't for having to keep the Roku around for the Britbox service (I've tried sideloading it onto the Shield with no luck), I'd toss the Roku in the garbage can. Getting tired of their "contract disputes". I'm interested in Peacock, so hopefully, like HBO Max, it will be available for the Shield. Otherwise, I'll live without it. Refuse to buy a THIRD device.

Don't mention any options for streaming to me which involve a smartphone, because I don't have one.

Not interested in an Apple TV? It has all the services you are talking about...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks