What's new

Peacock Peacock - NBC/Universal Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Interesting tidbit from Deadline, which I post as a reminder to those who keep saying that consumers will not want to pay for all the services coming out. I don't think that's necessarily where things are going...

"NBCUniversal got the attention of Hollywood and TV viewers everywhere last week, announcing a five-year deal to take The Office back from Netflix and put it on its own streaming service in 2021.

The value of the pact is estimated at $100 million per year. So what exactly is NBCU buying with all of that cash? Not subscribers, given that the company plans to give the streaming service away to pay-TV subscribers of Comcast and Sky. The main answer appears to be the opportunity to reinforce its decades-old, still-lucrative advertising business.

The Office, according to Nielsen research, ranked as the most watched show on Netflix in 2018, with 52 million minutes streamed — more than 20 million more than Friends.

Crackle Plus, Tubi TV, Pluto TV and other ad-supported streaming players have shown that there is an audience for ad-supported streaming.

How big an audience? That remains unclear. But The Office (and other shows likely to re-join the NBCU fold) represent the biggest bet yet made by a traditional company that customers will be just as eager to binge-watch a show with commercial interruption.

While Disney, WarnerMedia, CBS and Viacom all covet a subscription-driven relationship with their customers, the fact remains that they have a lot more experience selling ads than acquiring subscribers.

Mark Kelley, an analyst with Instinet, is among a growing chorus of observers who see Netflix eventually leaning toward advertising as well. He wrote in a recent research note to clients that Netflix could bring in more than $1 billion a year by introducing a free, ad-supported tier. Hulu offers such a basic service for $6 a month, as well as an ad-free version.

WarnerMedia’s soon-to-launch service will feature both a subscription offering and a free version with ads.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'll miss The Office (which, as many people have already said, will still be available elsewhere) but I won't miss F(r)iends to say the very least. I prefer pre-1990s TV shows anyway which makes me an outlier for my age group, and Hulu and Amazon Prime have far better selections of those. There are five decades of TV history prior to 1994 but how much of it is online legally? What's out there that isn't already on DVD?

Why don't they get back to putting good shows on their already existing free network, limiting the commercials and see if they win anyone back.

Once upon a time called the 1980s, Grant Tinker and Brandon Tartikoff* did just that. But that was the last decade before a little thing called The Internet gave TV a run for its money. Even so, they didn't let the growth of cable discourage them from trying to do their best.

*Is this streaming service where the revival of Punky Brewster is going to end up, or will that be on cable, which she used to associate in her mind with "adult" content back in the day despite counterexamples such as Fraggle Rock or anything on The Disney Channel?

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
F5DACD3A-67BB-4DE2-A66B-6DF60E929BE4.jpeg

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm not gonna lie: when I heard the name I thought two things. First, "huh huh huh, Hey Beavis, it says…" Second, I had a flashback to this*:

Is there a rule that for every show I like that gets rebooted, they must bring back a show I hate? Can't they at least be a bit more selective in what they bring back? Punky — which turned 35 on Monday — is one thing since that sold surprisingly well on DVD and didn't run long enough to run into the ground, BSG — the original is now over 40 and the first reboot wasn't that long agois another (literally and figuratively), but I absolutely draw the line at them bringing back that show NBC cancelled Gummi Bears for** after they fired Hayley Mills, the one whose co-star got deported on a very special Golden Girls.

*Not counting the son-less Sanford coming back in mid-season or the fact that Peter Pan had a son with a show on "another network," it's a bad sign when the only current show they have actual clips of is of the host who died 13 years prior!
**Smurfs, ALFTales, and Alvin weren't far behind and none of the animated replacements cut the mustard. I just switched to CBS and mourned the corpses along with Garfield.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Details released:

April 15 on Comcast
July 15 national launch

Tiers:
- Peacock Free - free and ad-supported
- Peacock Premium - ad-supported version with double the content. Free to Comcast customers and $5 for everyone else
- Peacock Premium without ads - $5 for Comcast customers and $10 for everyone else

It being on Comcast will put it in 24 million homes at launch

30-35 million users by 2024

600 movies and 400 series, news, and sports. 11,000 hours of content.

Some programming to air on Peacock before NBC, like the Tokyo Olympics, Premiere League, Ryder Cup, and The Tonight Show

Some programming:

https://deadline.com/feature/peacock-tv-nbc-universal-streaming-service-1202832718/

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Details released:

April 15 on Comcast
July 15 national launch

Tiers:
- Peacock Premium - ad-supported version with double the content. Free to Comcast customers and $5 for everyone else
- Peacock Premium without ads - $5 for Comcast customers and $10 for everyone else

It being on Comcast will put it in 24 million homes at launch

30-35 million users by 2024

600 movies and 400 series, news, and sports. 11,000 hours of content.

Some programming to air on Peacock before NBC, like the Tokyo Olympics, Premiere League, Ryder Cup, and The Tonight Show

Some programming:

https://deadline.com/feature/peacock-tv-nbc-universal-streaming-service-1202832718/
They'll have Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent. I'm in! :)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Tiers:

The Deadline info says Comcast "subscribers", not customers, get it for free. There are many Comcast internet only customers who don't subscribe to their cable TV service. Will they get the free, or discounted versions?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The Deadline info says Comcast "subscribers", not customers, get it for free. There are many Comcast internet only customers who don't subscribe to their cable TV service. Will they get the free, or discounted versions?

That same Deadline info says the free/discounted versions are for Comcast customers who subscribe to the Comcast Xfinity X1 service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks