What's new

PC and/or Windows 10 tab as media center - how? (1 Viewer)

kfx

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim Friborg
Hi guys.

Im in a bit of a pickle regarding my bedroom theater. I have a regular HD tv, no smart tv, and what i have done so far is just plugging in my laptop through HDMI, but i am getting tired of wireless mouse and keyboard in my bed and using my smartphone as mouse and keyboard + some other remote apps.

So i would like to use this Win10 tablet i have been looking at as part of the setup, so i basically have a small touchscreen controller with me in bed, and i see a few different options but i dont know very much about them.

1. The tablet only has 1 micro usb output, read that i could maybe use MHL but im not sure if the tablet supports it?
Cons: It would be wired, and would maybe not even charge simultaneously as far as i can read?

2. I could also go wireless and use something like Miracast or Chromecast?
Cons: From what i can read there is different issues, like lag?

3. I guess i could also continue to use the laptop but cast the display to the tablet and then control from there? Both Win10 but i dont really know how it works with the Wireless Display function
Cons: I would have to use both my laptop and the tablet.

Thats what i have come up with so far, but what are my (best) option here?

I could look for another tablet, but for the price i really the one i found now.

Any thoughts are more than welcome!

This is the tablet im considering buying, in case i find a sustainable solution.
Think its pretty sweet, wireless BT keyboard and folds up nicely to bring along in a rush!

IMG_3740.jpg

kfx

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim Friborg
Oh btw, i also have a PS3 hooked up in my bedroom, dont know if that could be a help in my quest?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I vote to make it quick and easy/simple. Grab a new Chromecast for $35, plug it in, start streaming whatever you want from tablet or phone etc. sit back, relax, enjoy.

Don't overthink things.

:)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, I vote for getting an AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast, or Amazon Fire stick(?). If you want upgrade your video gaming, a PS4 does streaming stuff and might work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks