What's new

PB2-Ultra (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Axelkro, is laying them on their sides a option? It would bring the H" down. Might be worth a try if things get to heated.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I still think the PB2-ISD is a steal at $900. I e-mailed SVS and they said for most rooms, the difference between the ISD and Plus will be a few dB. at the most.

While the $300 for the Plus is not a lot of money, thats 20 DVD's or a short-throw shift kit for my Camry :D . I would rather buy the ISD and get a huge handful of DVD's or CD's.

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Steve,

I hope I can avoid this rather drastic measure.
Laying them on the side would make the width a problem, unfortunately. And I certainly could not stand the view of these babies on a side.
No, I will not do this to them :)

If they would sit in a dark HT room, I might have chossen a different model, but this is my (our) living room, and it has to look neat. They will look just beautyfull there (in my eyes at least).

As I said, I hope, a couple of shoes will do it for acceptance...if not, I'll stand it :D

Ax

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
@ Kenneth

One of the magic of SVS is, whenever I asked them for what model to go for, or what the difference between models would be, the answer was always just a few dB plus or minus. not really helpfull sometimes for decision taking ;)

Without having heard any of them, it's difficult to sort out what that would mean in the end at ones own place.
So, I would go by the wallet and buy the biggest possible unit. Period.

Ax

Richard_M

Second Unit

Thats right Axel, you show her who's the BOSS:D

Now what else can I buy to minimize the verbal abuse:)

Richard

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Richard,

all kind of flowers will do it for the start...
on a later stage you may have to go for the diamonds.
Thanks that SVS has no box THAT huge :)

Axel

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Maybe SVS should give some strong consideration to opening up a on-line store front for the woman in our lives, so when we order our new toys we can pick up something or better yet, let them choose.

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ken,

as long the B4-U would stay a passive unit, I'd just add 4 x 300 US$ to get there. That should be close enough for a guess.
I've not heard that this model would be in the pipeline though.

Regards,
Axel

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
While never say never, SVS didn't plan on a B4-Ultra, AFAIK.

With the killer performance and industry benchmark already established by the B4-Plus, it simply hasn't been a priority for them.

And the weight of a B4-Ultra would probably be around 300 pounds, and they wanted to keep their heaviest of subs in the 200 pound region.

Regards,

Ed

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well Allen that depends on what your goals are and size room?? I know thats not much help but it does need to be clarified. Desired Output, looks, $$ and listening habits all have strong bearing. What do you put a premium on if you have a certain budget?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly when the TV driver came out,I remember the first reviewer[HT spot] described this as a major upgrade to his already excellent DB 12[I think he had an early Ultra].Then TV joined in and said that in objective measurments, a single TV over over a single DB would be around 2db at most at some fr. range.
Don't know if the TV driver's parameter's has beeen changed,but at that time that's what TV said.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Contrary to popular belief, the dB-12 Plus driver is not the driver used in the original Ultra. The original Ultra driver had no numerical designation, AFAIK.

When the dB-12 Plus driver made its debut, its overall performance was so close to the the original Ultra driver, it forced SVS to redesign the Ultra driver - hence the new TV-12.

Lewis is correct, the difference in overall output between the dB-12 and the TV-12 is "about" 1.5 dB on average. I have heard the 20-39 PC+ and the CS-Ultra and offer my opinions on both below.

Subjectively, I would say the sonic accuracy of the TV-12 is a bit better than the dB-12 driver in the Plus line. I found the TV-12 driver to be slightly more "authoritative" than the dB-12 at VERY high volumes. This is probably due to the larger magnet structure, 10-layer underhung VC (providing a flatter BL curve and incredible thermal power handling), and the very high xMax (>26mm one way), all combining to allow excellent cone control and excursion characteristics.

The TV-12 is an "effortless" driver, and really makes the stretch for that last dB of deep impact and just seems to perfectly nail every passage no matter how complex and difficult. The PC+ was just a frog's hair behind the Ultra in this respect, but both are extremely good.

As expected, the TV-12 driver can play a bit louder than the dB-12 driver, and we certainly proved it. We recorded 116-117 dB peaks (on C-weighted Fast) about 12 feet from the Ultra sub during playback at reference level. This is about 2 dB better than the dB-12 driver could manage in the same room.

Regards,

Ed

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Hey Edward,
I bookmarked the thread you started when you originally posted the results on the dB-12 vs TV-12 a while back. I offerred my thoughts in that thread since I've had both the a 20-39CS Plus and CS Ultra in my system. It's a good read because it'll be a good indicator of the difference between the PB2 Ultra and PB2 Plus. The one thing you also need to take into account with these two subs is the eq on the PB2 Ultra will usually make a significant difference in SQ at the main listening position.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=121402

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Steve,

im not asking which one to get, im getting the Ultra, i was wondering what other people would get, but i do have a question.

From 8ft away would they pound nearly the same or woudl the B4+ be stronger?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
not to get off topic but quick question, the crown k1 amp says 550 x 2 and the sampson S-1000 says 500 x 2, whats the times 2 mean, can you use these amps for 2 channel speakers or...subs or whats goin on there?

Another question, how low of a frequency can the PB2-Ultra and B4-Plus go?

qualen

Agent
x2 is for stereo operation. Using a b4, you would run a k1 in bridged mono which supplies 1500W in a 4 ohm load.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry allen I misunderstood your question. To much bass leiden material I guess;)

From Ed's and Frank's prior post's and link I would give the dual PB2-Ultra a 1.5 to 2 db advantage per driver then if both were placed in the same corner. Maybe Ed will step in and confirm.

500 X 2 means 500 watts to each channel. The capability is there to run a sub off of each channel or combine the two channels into one channel for the purpose of running a multiple driver sub like the B4+ in short. I run a QSC 1450 amp with two passive CS+s on one channel and a third SVS on the other channel. Soon it will be dual off of each channel if I don't break down and get a Ultra myself?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
One thing for certain, the B4-Plus will play louder than the PB2-Ultra. It's really just a matter of physics. Both will play loud enough in nearly any size room to satisfy the most ardent of bass nuts, but make no mistake the B4-Plus is still the output king of the SVS line-up.

Regarding dual PB2-Plus or dual PB2-Ultra vs. a single B4-Plus: The dual PB2 would have an edge in internal volume and port area. But the B4-Plus is a push/pull design, which Tom V has indicated gives it an inherent output advantage (and a THD reduction) over a conventional box configuration. Tough call...I'd ask Tom V for a definitive answer on dual PB2 (either Plus or Ultra) vs. a single B4-Plus.

How low can the PB2 enclosure go? Here is a graph of what to expect in a typical size (2000-2500 ft3) room from a PB2+ or a PB2-Ultra. The PB2 works best in the 20 Hz or 25 Hz tune. In the 20 Hz tune, the two flared (both ends) 4" vents can still move a LOT of air and can play loud enough in the 15-20 Hz region to satisfy almost anyone's tastes before audible port compression occurs.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks