What's new

PB2-ISD or HSU? (1 Viewer)

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
My room is 20x16 with 2 openings. One small windows into the kitchen, one pretty large into the dining room. I am pairing this up with paradigm speakers, Monitor 7’s/CC-370. The receiver will be a Yamaha 2400(probably). I have listened to the paradigm sub, the pw-2200. It sounded ok but I was curious about what you guys thought would do it in this space. I want to be under $1,000. Maybe the PB2-ISD? Which HSU?

Dustin_Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
For under 1K, both HSU and SVS both have excellent choices available. HSU makes the VTF-3MKII for around $700 and I've heard nothing but quality things about it. The PB2-ISD would definately have more clean SPL in the tank so to speak, but its also bigger and a bit more expensive. They should both sound great, any preference in that department would be subjective.

Here is a link to one individual's comparison of the PB2+, the next step up from the PB2-ISD, vs. dual VTF-3MKII's. I imagine the PB2-ISD would have a couple dB's less output than the plus model, but other than that performance would be very similar.

DT

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
If you can spend $700 on an HSU, I'd say don't do it :) Go with the PB2-ISD. That's the sub I have and I love it. Yeah, it is a little big.....with my wife's touch it goes very nicely in our living room with the rest of the set-up. Anyway, we have a very open living room with ceilings that peak at 18'. There is a lot of area to fill with sound/pressure, and this sub does the job and then some. Good luck with your decision.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Alan, I have been contemplating the PB2-ISD vs the VTF3/mk2. I have a piano black finish VTF3/2 on order but April is a LONG time away. To get the PB2-ISD now would cost $200 more than the VTF3/2 at $800.

The shear size of the PB2 would limit where it could go in my room but after comparing the diminsions of the two.....HSU 15" wide, 22" tall, 23" deep....vs PB2...18" wide, 25" tall, 28" deep I realize they are both pretty big subs. The piano black would LOOK a lot better but I can maybe overLOOK that. :)

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Well Im married as well so Im already getting a ton of grief for the money I'll be spending. If this svs beast shows up and shakes the house(which it will) I may never hear the end of it.

HSu also has a free shipping deal right now for backordered VT3's. at $699 thats a $300 difference including shipping. what to do...

Dustin_Taylor

Stunt Coordinator

In that case the HSU probably would not exactly plase Mrs. john_FE either. It is quite a tough decision, just rest easy knowing whatever you decide, you're going to be pleased, even if she isn't.

Good Luck,

DT

Robt_P

Auditioning
After spending weeks on a similiar decision, I went with the new HSU STF-3 in max extension. For me the decision came down to size. Anything wider than the STF-3 (or VTF-3) and it wouldn't have fit properly and my wife would have veto'd it!

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Tom from SVS suggested the 20-39PCi. It seems like a great sub. I never even thought of a tube sub. Any thoughts on this?

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator

Funny you mention that. I just asked my wife what she thinks we should spend on a front projector, screen, surround receiver, and speakers.

She said..." maybe around $5000." I just got a big......smile.

I should do OK with $5000 I think.

Mike Reeter

Agent
John,I would go with the PC 20-39 Plus,better driver,smaller footprint,and a cost of around 9 bills delivered to you door..

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I don't know Mike, the 2 ISD drivers in the PB2-ISD look pretty impressive for 1k delivered. You think one 20-39 PC plus would outperform the PB2-ISD?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
SVS says the ISD will have a 2-4dB advantage in stock tune, the advantage shrinks and becomes negligable at the lower tunes though.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator

This is a bad thing I guess Wayne? Or are you saying the positives of the ISD drop off some?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
In the stock 25 Hz tune, the PB2-ISD will have a considerable output advantage over a single 20-39PC+ in the >23 Hz region.

Below about 22-23 Hz, the high-pass/infrasonic filter in the PB2-ISD will start to ramp down the response to protect the woofers from over-excursion, and the 20-39PC+ will gain an output advantage in the 18-22 Hz region.

The 20-39PC+ has a stock tune point of 20 Hz with all ports open, the resonators are functioning optimally in the 18-22 Hz range, and the 20-39PC+ really shines in this region.

If you tune the PB2-ISD to 20 Hz, the two models will be very closely matched in the 18-22 Hz region. The PB2-ISD will have less port area than the 20-39PC+, but it will retain the advantage of two driver radiating surfaces. Above 23 Hz, the 20 Hz-tuned PB2-ISD will still hold an advantage (albeit less than with all ports open) over a single 20-39PC+.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well no need for me to further elaborate, except to say I'd go with the ISD.........:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks