HTD Level 3 vs. HTD Level 4 vs. Ascend

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Eddie Horton, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I've narrowed it down finally to the HTD Level 4 towers, center, and bookshelf rears, the HTD Level 3 towers, center, and bookshelf rears, and Ascend Acoustics 340 mains, 340 center, and 170 rears. I've searched all the forums to death, and just can't decide. One thing to be considered is the fact that I could get the HSU VTF3-Mk2 with the Ascend package with free shipping on everything. If I went with HTD Level 4, budget constraints would limit the subwoofer choices, but I could get the Level 3 package and an SVS PB2-ISD for about the same price as the Ascend/HSU combo. I'd like to get some feedback on these speakers from any owners, or especially anyone who's compared the 3 choices. Will the HTD Level 3's hang with the Ascends? If so, I'm leaning toward that. If not, I'm leaning toward the Ascends. Do the Level 4's give a substantial amount of improvement over the Level 3's, or is the piano gloss cabinets where most of the extra money goes? So many questions.....I could probably just flip a coin and be happy, but to me, half the fun is doing the research. I know people will say to get a pair of each and decide, and it may come down to that, but any feedback I could get before that time would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have never heard or read a direct comparison between Ascends and HTD's.

I think getting a pair of each is the best route to take. I believe Ascend will give you the package pricing if everything is purchased within 45 days, I would imagine HTD would do something similar.

Maybe you can find owners of each in your area.

3. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I've only compared the rockets and HTD Level IVs and a little of the level 3s. Have not seen or heard the Ascends yet....maybe next year. The differences between a 3 and 4 is not just all cosmetics. My initial brief listening session, I felt the differences were not large enought, but after owning the level 4 bookshelves, I'm starting to appreciate them more (sound quality-wise). Plus the burl mappa is simply gorgeous. Definitely worth the extra bit of money over the 3s. And the MDF cabinet of the 4s is thicker than the 3s (1-inch vs. 3/4-inch). I don't have that many posts here, so just do a search with my username to find my reviews of those speakers.