What's new

Paramount+ Paramount+ Streaming Service (Formerly CBS All Access) (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Paramount+ has finally gotten around to including ALL of the I LOVE LUCY half-hour episodes on their service. Prior to this, they had a hit-or-miss selection of shows.

I happily noticed this just the other day. I requested they do this every few weeks on their customer service form. I guess they finally got tired of hearing from me LOL

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Paramount+ support's latest response:
Apr-22.jpg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Now they are saying June... With this and the Dolby Vision issue on HBO Max, it may be time to dump my Roku devices.

Email-2022-04-27.jpg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well Roku just updated yesterday! Here's the good news: the Paramount+ app is now showing Dolby Vision in the descriptions of videos that use it! The bad news is it still doesn't work................................................................BABY STEPS!!!!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well Roku just updated yesterday! Here's the good news: the Paramount+ app is now showing Dolby Vision in the descriptions of videos that use it! The bad news is it still doesn't work................................................................BABY STEPS!!!!
For me it’s been showing Dolby Vision on my two DV-capable Rokus since I got them (the Ultra nearly a year ago, Streaming Stick 4K back in November).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For me it’s been showing Dolby Vision on my two DV-capable Rokus since I got them (the Ultra nearly a year ago, Streaming Stick 4K back in November).
I was getting HDR for Star Trek Discovery on the Roku but Dolby Vision on the Shield (currently still the only thing it works on that I have).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
NEW Update (5/6): No longer making reference to what format audio or HDR its supposed to be in. HDR STILL doesn'tw work on Roku.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
NEW Update (5/6): No longer making reference to what format audio or HDR its supposed to be in. HDR STILL doesn'tw work on Roku.
Have you reported any of this to Paramount+? I think they are dragging their feet on getting this fixed based on how few of their customers have been complaining about it.

I was notified yesterday that "Roku expects to have completed their rollout of v11.0.0 to all HDR-capable Roku units by mid-May, allowing us (P+) to then work on rolling out our own app update in late May to early June." After six months, I have very little faith that this will happen.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just got off the phone with an engineer at Roku, who said that they hope to complete the rollout of Roku OS v11.0.0 by the end of this week, which should allow Paramount+ to then roll out their app update in the next few weeks that, again should restore HDR to the Paramount+ app on Roku. I am not holding my breath...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Latest e-mail I received from an unnamed support agent at Paramount+. I like the agent's use of quotes to try and emphasize that this is more a Roku issue than theirs...

Thank you for your response. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. We are happy to assist you! Roku will not place in their release notes that a major OS release will 'fix' an issue with one specific app on their platform, whether it is accurate or not. We will likely see an update to OS 11 and soon after that the Paramount+ app will probably 'update' as well. If 4K HDR support is restored, Paramount+ will claim that the Roku OS update 'fixed' the issue. Roku will claim that an 'update' to the Paramount+ app could have addressed the issue that they had to 'fix' with an OS update.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Heh! This sound decoding situation kind of takes me back.

1987 - STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION was about to debut. It was, as STAR TREK always tried to do, going to utilize the very latest technology and provide stereo sound. Well, I lived the Philly area, and the station that picked up the syndication run for TNG was our local Channel 29, a FOX affiliate, that had no stereo capability.

Year after year I hoped that 29 would get with the program and install a TV stereo sound generator. - But nope. Didn't happen. I recall a couple of attempts to tune in to WPIX New York, because THEY had stereo sound. I think I managed to hear the opening theme just once in all that time. We were pretty far away from NY.

DEEP SPACE NINE was announced and guess what, channel 29 picked that one up too - so still another STAR TREK series with no stereo sound. Ugh!

TNG came and went in all mono. DS9 came and went in all mono. VOYAGER was next in line and started out like the others - all mono. And then ENTERPRISE was announced for the new UPN network, which would run on our local channel 57. This channel was built from the ground up with all of the latest technology and always had a stereo pilot light on and would generate at least fake stereo on their old rerun shows. And they were the ones getting ENTERPRISE as a UPN affiliate.

As a surprise, channel 57 not only was going to run ENTERPRISE, but they also picked up the remainder of VOYAGER still left to run. Finally - all those years later, I got to see - and tape! - a STAR TREK episode in stereo. By then it seemed almost passe as stereo TV had been around for more than a decade.

ENTERPRISE then surprised us with another tech upgrade to both high definition and widescreen, along with stereo sound. Meanwhile, I think channel 29 finally got a stereo generator sometime around the year 2000.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Will have to watch and see with aTV does Atmos for SNW. I’ve not noticed that before.

But Paramount is weirdly the quietest streaming service / ago. I have to turn the volume way up for P+ compared to any other service.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Heh! This sound decoding situation kind of takes me back.

1987 - STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION was about to debut. It was, as STAR TREK always tried to do, going to utilize the very latest technology and provide stereo sound. Well, I lived the Philly area, and the station that picked up the syndication run for TNG was our local Channel 29, a FOX affiliate, that had no stereo capability.

Year after year I hoped that 29 would get with the program and install a TV stereo sound generator. - But nope. Didn't happen. I recall a couple of attempts to tune in to WPIX New York, because THEY had stereo sound. I think I managed to hear the opening theme just once in all that time. We were pretty far away from NY.

DEEP SPACE NINE was announced and guess what, channel 29 picked that one up too - so still another STAR TREK series with no stereo sound. Ugh!

TNG came and went in all mono. DS9 came and went in all mono. VOYAGER was next in line and started out like the others - all mono. And then ENTERPRISE was announced for the new UPN network, which would run on our local channel 57. This channel was built from the ground up with all of the latest technology and always had a stereo pilot light on and would generate at least fake stereo on their old rerun shows. And they were the ones getting ENTERPRISE as a UPN affiliate.

As a surprise, channel 57 not only was going to run ENTERPRISE, but they also picked up the remainder of VOYAGER still left to run. Finally - all those years later, I got to see - and tape! - a STAR TREK episode in stereo. By then it seemed almost passe as stereo TV had been around for more than a decade.

ENTERPRISE then surprised us with another tech upgrade to both high definition and widescreen, along with stereo sound. Meanwhile, I think channel 29 finally got a stereo generator sometime around the year 2000.
Voyager was also UPN so in Philly it was on 57 for the entire run and in stereo. I grew up there, too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks