What's new

Paramount+ Paramount+ Streaming Service (Formerly CBS All Access) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
T-Mobile customers can get a year of Paramount + free. But it’s “Limited Ads” version.

Not sure I can stomach ads even though it’s free. Been ad free for a decade.
I saw that deal, but decided to pass for the same reason. We had the ad-free version for the first year at a 50% discount and rarely watched the service. I would watch even less with commercials.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This joke of a service is still sending me e-mails twice a month telling me that they are still looking into the Roku HDR issue that was resolved back in May. Boneheads!

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
Question:

We just accepted an offer from T-Mobile for one year of Paramount+ for free but unfortunately the plan is one in which commercials are included and as all know, what seems like endless commercials are excruciatingly painful to sit through. Is there any way to upgrade the plan to a commercial-free one without paying the full subscription price? If not, Paramount+ will become PainintheAss+.

Thanks much.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Getting a free sample of commercials is like getting a free dinner on a napkin, or holes in a bowl.

Neither creates enjoyable or favorable experiences for users.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Now Paramount is considering getting rid of the streaming version of Showtime and combining it with Paramount plus instead of making it an add on to Paramount Plus and still available separately. The discussion is still in early stages and it may not happen. If it does happen I wonder if Showtime Anytime, the streaming version for cable Showtime subscribers will also disappear.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They probably should combine/merge them since neither one alone offers nearly enough worthwhile content to compete in the current streaming landscape (of course IMHO)... that is, at least w/out very substantial ongoing discounts anyway...

_Man_

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Watching Frasier on my 50 inch 4K UHD tv why the white lines at the top of the screen? Reminds me of VCR tracking needing to be adjusted

Attachments

• DAB85F42-38B7-4BA3-B83E-B7BDEC92F1AF.jpeg
    DAB85F42-38B7-4BA3-B83E-B7BDEC92F1AF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 59

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That is the closed captioning signal embedded in NTSC-format video masters. On older 4x3 TVs in use when the show was originally made, that portion of the picture wouldn’t be visible due to overscan, and TVs with closed captioning decoders built in could decode those lines into captions.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is the closed captioning signal embedded in NTSC-format video masters. On older 4x3 TVs in use when the show was originally made, that portion of the picture wouldn’t be visible due to overscan, and TVs with closed captioning decoders built in could decode those lines into captions.
Thank you Josh. The tv has closed captioning. But I don’t have it on So far I haven’t seen it with other paramount shows. Cheers, 48 hours the national news etc

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thank you Josh. The tv has closed captioning. But I don’t have it on So far I haven’t seen it with other paramount shows. Cheers, 48 hours the national news etc

Right - like I was saying (and I’m sorry, I feel like I could explain this easier if we were sitting in a room chatting in person than I can through typing) - it’s just baked into the older video masters of the show. You’re looking at a digital capture of what’s essentially a 1990s era videotape, because Paramount+ at present is showing those very old masters for Frasier.

Captions are no longer transmitted in the same way, so you won’t see those lines in new TV episodes (like the national news or 48 Hours) or in newly remastered versions of older episodes (like Cheers). The TVs that were available in the 90s when Frasier was on TV basically zoomed in ever so slightly on everything you watched on them, so you never would have actually seen that line back in the day.

Think of it as like a hidden signal in the video. That’s the best analogy I can think of.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just something I picked up from a job I had 15 years ago :)
Some of the skills or knowledge we retain from old jobs can be quite interesting. I learned how to open a soda pop bottle on a hand truck while working as a stock boy in college. Many years later, my wife and I were in Hawaii and picked up some beer to keep in the hotel room. We forgot to get a bottle opener, so I amazed her with my skill by opening the bottles on the handle of the patio door. :P

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Anyone use the Paramount+ app on an iPhone or iPad much? I do at work and I have started noticing 2 faint vertical lines that divide the screen into 3 sections where the left and right sides are slightly darker (or the middle is slightly brighter). I see this in every show/movie I play in the Paramount+ app. It doesn't appear in any other video app so far. I do not see it on Paramountplus.com or on the Apple TV app, just the iPhone and iPad. Yes, iPad, iPhone OS is up to date and so is the Paramount+ app.

Does anyone else see the same thing?

Here is an example from the SNW Pilot. It is easiest to see on bright backgrounds. I hope it comes through. I had to use my iPhone to take a picture of my iPad screen since the P+ app doesn't allow screenshots.

IMG_0904.jpeg

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So today I was watching Star Trek Voyager on Paramount +. I have the no ad tier. But when I paused the episode I was watching, a picture of a Canada Dry soda can popped up with text. Is that normal?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So today I was watching Star Trek Voyager on Paramount +. I have the no ad tier. But when I paused the episode I was watching, a picture of a Canada Dry soda can popped up with text. Is that normal?

I don't subscribe to Paramount+ but I would be pissed off if that happened unless I was on the lower-cost advertising tier.

It looks like a sneaky way to inject ads into your feed.

Are you paying full price for the service or on the ad-supported tier?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yeah, they started doing that fairly recently (at least on the app version), as have several other streaming services, such as FreeVee (expected), ad-supported Hulu, and I think Prime Video.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't subscribe to Paramount+ but I would be pissed off if that happened unless I was on the lower-cost advertising tier.

It looks like a sneaky way to inject ads into your feed.

Are you paying full price for the service or on the ad-supported tier?
I’m on the full plan. I don’t get commercials but I thought the Canada Dry thing was weird. Yesterday before work it happened when I paused it to answer the door at my house. A sonic ad showed up

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’m on the full plan. I don’t get commercials but I thought the Canada Dry thing was weird. Yesterday before work it happened when I paused it to answer the door at my house. A sonic ad showed up

Yeah, I would be very upset over that.

If you are on the full commercial-free plan, that's a pretty crappy thing for Paramount to do.

They are essentially inserting ads in a commercial-free tier. Mind you, you would probably never know they were there unless you paused the program, but it's still something that would get under my skin.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
High on the list of "wants" from P+ customers is the ability to skip through promos like we can on Prime. That is needed much more on P+, since the service just randomly loads a promo for another show or movie, regardless of the genre or rating. I've seen promos for the series Evil loaded before the more family-friendly Star Trek: Prodigy animated series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks