Paradigm Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BrendanG, Apr 27, 2003.

1. BrendanG

BrendanG Agent

Does anyone have any experience with paradigms line of subwoofers. Particulary the pdr series. How do they perform musically? For movies? any opinions please. thanks.

2. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

They aren't bad for the money. I've changed my opinion and liking of ported vs sealed after buying the Servo 15, it simply kicks ass.

3. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

Ditto on the servo 15. It does go low, and it is nicely musical. I upgrade from a PS-1000. That is the minimum I would recommend in the Paradigm sub line, and I wouldnt' recommend it if you listen to alot of music.

4. BrendanG

BrendanG Agent

Just out of curiosity why would say the rest of the line isnt musical? too boomy? I own a pair of titans so their not the highest quality speakers anyway. I was looking at the pdr-8 and pdr-10, but maybe i shouldnt be. thanks.

5. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

they enjoy an excellent reputation by most.
    don't forget to take into account the size of your room. a smaller room can manage with a smaller sub.

6. BrendanG

BrendanG Agent

I do have a rather small room (11 x 11). Although i thought i might overpower the pdr-8 resulting in boomy bass. I listen to much more music than movies so articulate bass is a must. Anyone have any opinions on the pdr-8 or pdr-10 sound?

7. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The PDR series are solid subs for the price. But they do not go very low (nor does any other sub at this price point), and they do not have a ton of power. The PS series subs hit much lower and much harder. But to get all that for a cheap price Paradigm went to a bandpass design. So it can be boomy, which is not good for music. The PW-2200 raises the price, but eliminates some of the boomyness. Then you get all the way up to the Servo 15 which is a reference quality sub that handles everything well, espically music.

I own a PS-1000. It is a great sub for under $500. But it took a lot of tweaking to get rid of some of teh boomyness. And there is still some music that I wish it handled better. But at the price it is a great performer, that will do well even in big rooms.

So Brendan, if you have a fairly small room, the PDR series is probably your best bet. If you have a bigger room, or just want it to hit harder, then you might look at a PS-1000, just beware that it might take a little work to get it sounding its best.

8. BrendanG

BrendanG Agent

thank you very much, you obviously know what your talking about. another question, do u think the 8 inch is too little for an 11 x 11 room? Or would that suit it just fine. If not, i would probably go with the 10 inch. Any opinion?

9. Peter Hill

Peter Hill Auditioning

I own a PDR-10 and I think it is a good value for the money. The only complaint I have against it is that it seems to stay on for quite a while after the receiver is turned off.

10. BrendanG

BrendanG Agent

anyone think the 8inch would be too small for the 11 x 11 room?

11. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

I think that you can go for larger sub in your room depending on your preferences. i had the pdr12 and it is a
    musical sub in its price range. Eventually i moved up to the servo15. my room is just a bit bigger than your's.

12. Eric_AP

Eric_AP Stunt Coordinator

"I own a PDR-10 and I think it is a good value for the money. The only complaint I have against it is that it seems to stay on for quite a while after the receiver is turned off."

Agree with this sentiment about the value. But I think the fact that it stays on for a while after the receiver is turned off is a good thing. In my experience, my PDR-10 stays on for about 15 minutes after power-off of the receiver (which means that the front light stays lit on the sub -- nothing else happens). This is good, in that I have read of subs shutting off when they should not -- due to quiet passages or a brief period of no bass in a DVD or music.

13. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

i'm running the servo 15 in a 11 x 10 room at about halfway on the sub amp and xc-30. It shakes the living shit out of everything.

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You don't say if you are in Canada or the US and what price you think you can get on the PDR-10.

Two other subs that are close to PDR10 price range in the US that I would seriously consider instead are the Adire Rava ($400) or the Hsu VTF2 ($450).

Another option would be DIY. If you have some basic wood working skills SVS 20-39PCi performance can be had for ~$300.

15. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

"anyone think the 8inch would be too small for the 11 x 11 room? "

A sub can never be too big. You can always turn the volume down. But you still retain the deeper extension. So I wouldn't sell yourself short just because of room size. I would get as big of a sub as your budget will allow. Also remember, you may not always be in that room. The PDR-10 goes quite a bit lower than the 8, so I would definatly reccommend that. If you can swing a 12, all the better for future proffing.

16. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

I have have had a PDR-12, a PS-1000, and a PW-2200 in my system (with Ref. 60's), and I much preferred the PDR-12 to the PS-1000. Everything people say about the PS-1000's boominess is true. For me, it was too boomy even for home theater (and after MUCH tweaking). I would not even consider the PS series in a relatively small room (mine was about 12x13 with one side open to a similar sized room). The PDR-12 actually worked pretty well in my system and hung in there with some other more expensive subs I demo'd (RBH and PSB). I ended up with the PW-2200. The PDR series is of similar quality and bang for the buck as your titans, so I would consider them a front runner for you. My gut would tell me to go with the 10" if I were faced with your decision. I don't believe the PDR's are flawed in any way considering their price.

17. BrendanG

BrendanG Agent

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I payed $350CDN (~$240US) several years ago when I bought one. I've since replaced it with a DIY Tempest (think SVS Ultra performance but with a massive enclosure).

Subs don't require complicated crossovers. So pick a good driver, a good amp, choose a proven allignment and build. That's all there is to it.

http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html

http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/twinstart.php

Living in the US you should be able to build a sub with a 250W plate amp, Dayton DVC12" or Adire Shiva for $300US without much trouble. Especially if you can get some left over sonotube from a construction site or have the skills to build a box from MDF.