What's new

Paradigm Studio 60's, how close to the rear wall can it be placed?? (1 Viewer)

John Cain

Second Unit
I understand that the Paradigm 60's are front ported, so I'm wondering how close to the rear wall they can be placed???
I am planning on using one as my Center Speaker which will be behind a THX-Microperf screen, so I will need to place it fairly close to the rear wall.
I am assuming it can be placed closer to the rear wall that a Studio 40 or 20 can, and I am also assuming the 60 is a frontward firing port only and there is not another port on the rear.
All replies appreciated,
-- John
------------------

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
You mean front wall, don't you, the one that is in FRONT of you, opposite the one where your REAR speakers are located ?
biggrin.gif

I read somewhere that you can put the 60s closer to the wall than the 40s. Still, I'd keep them at least a foot from the wall.
Distance from the side walls is also critical - I just moved my speakers from 18" to 30" and the sound improved.

John Cain

Second Unit
Thx Chris..
Do you have the 60's??? Do they have any ports on the rear or only on the front??
Thanks again,
-- John
------------------

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I have Mordaunt-Short 906s, but I did audition the 60s.
Most of the dealers I went to knew how to set up the speakers so they'd sound good to the customer, and that included keeping them well away from the walls. A better soundstage is created from the reflected sound delay.
I think that's why most people say their speakers don't sound as good as in the dealer's showroom - they end up putting their speakers close to the wall.

Graeme Shiomi

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Yes, the 60's only have one port, in the front. Other than binding posts, there is nothing else on the back of the speaker.
Graeme

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I have the 60's, and yes they can be placed fairly close to the wall.
However, as with any speaker, placement to get the best sound is always critical. The 60's will still sound very good is placed close to the rear or side walls, but a little breathing room will improve the imaging or soundstage projected by the speakers. This is much more critical with music listening than with movies.
Since you are using the 60 for a center speaker (is it shielded? or are you using a projector?), the localization (or ability to loacte) of the speaker is not as critical, since you want the dialogue centered.
I do the best to place my spekears to try to make them "disappear" sonically. In other words, you can hear the music but if you shut your eyes you can't directly point to the source (the speaker) and the musicians seem spread across the stage.
I have a large TV cabinet between my front speakers, so I had to pull them out from the wall quite a ways so the sound would "clear" the front of the cabinet.
Most paradigm dealers will allow you to do in-home trials with the speakers.
Good luck,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks