What's new

Paradigm Reference (1 Viewer)

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently auditioned the Studio 20s and fell in love as soon as the vocals kicked into the opening track. They were so smooth as the volume was slowly increased to well above normal listening. I highly recommend these speakers at $600/pr.
The CC played extremely fluid when switched over to A Bug's Life on an Elite Pro530HD and I wanted so bad for this to be my living room. The off axis response was also a major selling point.
I caved in and purchased a brand new discontinued Elite PRO520HD for almost half off B&M pricing.:D
My main concern is that my back room of my HT is not ideal as most of us experience. I have an open door way leading to the bedrooms behind the couch. I have 6 ft behind the couch and can mount the speakers approx 4 ft back on the side walls.
I don't feel the matching ADPs are a clear choice for my layout. However I feel the Studio 20's will be overkill hanging off the side walls on a thru way. Any suggestions within the family that will give me close timbre matching? Atoms....?:confused:
I plan on having the speakers face each other behind the listening position mounted at a height TBD.
I need to make a decision, and fast!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Michael_V

Second Unit
I think you would find the difference in quality between your front and rear sound stages would be significant if you used Atoms against your Studio 20s. If your set-up prohibits putting 20s in the back, I still would recommend at least going with Mini-monitors for the surrounds.

DonJ

Second Unit
Michael_V

I lived in Okinawa for 3.5 years I loved it there. Do you happen to race or go to the street races there?

Michael_V

Second Unit
DonJ,
I have been here for six months now. My family and I love it . . . except for the dearth of HT shops! I have to order everything from the States and have been paying through the nose for shipping! You don't happen to know any good HT stores here, do you? :)
No, I don't race. We have a Toyota Minivan. . . . :b
Mike

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
What would the best way to mount either mini monitors or Studio 20s on the side walls? I would prefer some sort of wall mounted shelf unit type thing.
I would assume the mini monitors are also rear ported thus requiring a mount with an arm to provide air movement in back of the speaker. DLP2 music listening would need more room for the port to breath than a surround.
What have others done with larger monopoles mounted on the side walls??:cool:

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I have the Paradigm Reference speakers as well, and I wanted to add two more speakers for a 7.1 setup. Since I didn't want ADP's to be my 6 & 7 speakers and still wanted to match timbres I went with the in wall reference SA-30 which works great!

I don't know if in wall speakers are an option for you, but just wanted to throw it out there.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I have my 20's mounted on stands in the rear. I mounted a platform onto professional grade (very heavy) photo tripods which keeps the back of the speaker 1' or so from the back wall. They also allow for easy adjustment of height, angle, direction. I have 100's and a Studio CC in the front.

The 20's are excellent rear speakers. With DVD-A I get amazing imaging behind my head when the program material calls for it. The 20's also play very clean at high dB's.

If you can accommodate them at all I would go for the 20's and avoid the urge to upgrade later.

Wayne

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
AndrewA,

I just checked out the pics of your theater but I didn't notice the SA-30's. Were they just not installed when you took the pics or am I blind?

Thanks,
Jeff

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If space is concern in terms of bumping your head into studio 20s, which will stick out quite a bit, plus room for the port, the mini monitors will leave you in about the same bind. I think the ADPs would probably still suffice best. Do keep in mind that the V3 studios that are out now and shipping are front ported. You may have to act fast to get the V2s, depending on what kind of stock your dealer has left. And if you have a good dealer(i know they are sometimes hard to come by), they'd probably be able to help you too with the ADP/20/etc choice. What about inwalls? Paradigm makes inwalls too, that i think match with the studio series, that may be an option, that while not ideal, would be great space-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks