What's new

Paradigm Monitor series versions (1 Viewer)

Michael_H

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Can somebody explain the differences in the V.1, V.2, and V.3? I'm looking at picking up a set of Monitor 7's and curious what improvements have been made with the newer versions.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
v2 was around for a long time. v3 is less than a year old, with the changes in minor details such as the tweeter plates, midbass driver changes, x-over adjustment, etc.... I'd call it more of a refinement than a major change. v2 and v3 still have the same timbre, so beyond small visual changes and the small details, they are essentially 100% compatible with eachother.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
In most cases the change from v1 to v2 wasn't anymore extensive than what John described for v2 to v3. Even the upgrade from CC/ADP 350 to CC/ADP 370 didn't involve any major change in sound.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I own V1 Monitor 7s and the major change to V3 is the drivers. On my V1s there are two mid-range drivers. On the V3s there is one mid-range driver and one bass driver. The salesperson told me the Monitor 7s are very close to V2 Studio 60s at about half the price.

I was so impressed with the differences I would like to get the V3 Monitor 7s.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I used to own Monitor 7v2 and now own Studio 60v2. I would have to respectfully disagree with the sales person that said that they are very close. The Monitor 7s are a great speaker for the price, especially the low end and soundstage, but the Studio series is on another level. They have a more refined and realistic midrange, and smoother high-end (cymbals in music sounded less harsh for example).

The funny thing is, the differences weren't as obvious when I played the Studio 60s for the first few days, but when I re-connected my Monitor 7s and did A/B comparisons, I was surprised at the how different they sounded. Count me as one of those who believes that speaker break-in is more about the listener than the speaker.

You can't go wrong either way, in my opinion. I think the Monitor 7/Studio 60 design is the best of the Paradigm line for music listening (which is my primary concern). I still have a soft spot for the Atoms though, as I think they are just an amazing little speaker for the money. I use them for computer speakers since they blow away the similarly priced PC speaker sets.

Chris

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Chris, the 7s are clearly not as good as the 60s. I actually found the 5s with a sub to be much cleaner than 7s, and you will still want a sub with 7s anyway...

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
I think that he talked about the v.3 and not the v.2 for the comparison against the Studios60 v.2. And I found him right! Sure, the 60s still have an edge, but beeing a person which owned for a long time the v.2 et now the v.3, I find the v.3 to have not only very little improvment in the sound compared to the v.2 (Am I weird to you, all other people)? :D Monitor9s v.3 sounds almost like the 80s to me, but I dont know how to describe it... the 9s have a more directionnal sound and more bassy (attack) which make them a part from the 80s. The thing which I find the most similar between the two is the clarity side and definition. I found the mid-range on the v.3 improved compared to the v.2.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Hi there ya'll. New to the forum and all that and I think I can help. I emailed Paradigm and got this response about their Monitor line:

Hi Mike

The Monitor Series v.3 replaced the v.2 in May 2002 and the new models feature significant design improvements resulting in superior detail, resolution, spectral balance and increased sensitivity.

The version 3 model has a new third generation high frequency driver coupled with our advanced Waveguide faceplate design that was developed for the Studio Series. Upper harmonics and 'air' are reproduced with stunning clarity and accuracy.

The mid/bass drivers have newly designed motor structures, 'bullet' dustcaps and larger magnet structures providing more openess and detail along with greater sensitivity and power handling.

The advanced carbon-infused cones used in the new bass drivers are highly damped and very rigid for superbly defined/tight bass response.

Thanks for your interest in Paradigm speakers.

Sincerely,
Gary Takeda
Paradigm Technical Support
The easiest way to identify a V3 vs. a V2 or V1 is in any Monitor speaker 7 and up, look at the lower woofer. Its totally black as opposed to the older V2/V1s which have match transparent white woofers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can see the difference without removing the grilles, all of the front covers are different (except the minis I think) - they have a new style Paradigm logo and they are plastic under the cloth instead of wood framed.

Monitor speaker 7 and up
The 5s use the identical drivers to the 7s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks