What's new

Paradigm Monitor Series v.3 (1 Viewer)

Nick V

Second Unit
Please,

Does anyone have ANY information about these speakers??

-Have they upgraded all models?
-Did they upgrade any subs?
-How big is the increase in price?
-What are the differences between v.2 and v.3?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure about all the Paradigms but the Monitor series, at least the minis and the 7's, have been upgraded to v3.

The price difference is about 40- 50 dollars.

As far as differences, I was told they had better crossovers, had better imaging, and I forget what else. I could call the HT place by me and ask again if you'd like.

The outside looks a little diff too. The grill is curved and the plastic around the tweeters look a little different too.

I hope that was some help.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Also, as far as the monitor 3 v3 goes, it will be significantly smaller than the akward sized monitor 3v2's. My local Paradigm dealer was a little skeptical of this, becuase you are basically paying 50 bucks more for a smaller speaker that probably has less bass response. Besides, I kinda thought the 3's were cool looking, sort of half way between bookshelf and floorstanding. They are very imposing speakers!

I am waiting for the new monitor 3's to come out in about a month, so I can can compare the v3's to the older, larger v2.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
The mini monitors supposedly went up $50. I assume so will the 3's. Yeah the 3's were kind of cool as were the 5's.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Nick. Eric
I did an inquiry to Paradigm's tech support mail service a while ago and this is the info they game on the Monitor Series.
"The Monitor Series v.3 was just recently released for distribution and the most significant improvements to the 90P are a new generation tweeter and new, carbon-infused cones for the subwoofer drivers."
Eric has info on the crossovers and cosmetic changes.
Also, try this thread on the hometheaterforum site. It has a lot of info that will address some of your questions.
Title is:
My encounter with a Paradigm rep
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...tor+Series+v.3

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't like the Monitor3 v2. Often seen it labeled as the worst in the Monitor line. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't sound as good as either the Mini or the 5, IMO. Bass is noticably muddy and I was not impressed with them, which is why I chose Minis.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
I never did get to hear the 3's or 5's, I just liked the look hehe.

The minis though sound great. I love those things as well as the 7's.

You can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

Thanks for the link Chas, i read that ahwile ago but been meaning to look for that thread again for a reread.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
You are welcome Eric. Monitor series is a nice speaker for the cash you have to put down. This is a great web site for Paradigm info.

Nick V

Second Unit
Chas,

That Paradigm Tech support response seems kinda weird. I must have been misinformed. I went to my dealer today, to find out more about the new v.3's and they told me that they are using the EXACT same tweeter. The salesman told me that all of the differences are very minor and most of them are just for appearance. He told me that he sat down with the monitor 9v.2's and v.3's side by side for well over an hour after the new v.3's had been broken in, and he said that he couldn't tell which ones were playing in a blind test. He urged me to buy a pair of the v.2 mini's or 5's to finish off my 7.1 speaker package. He urged me to do this, because the prices are going up a significant amount for the new v.3's that they'll be getting in a few days.

Any opinions on this??? Is the salesman just BSing me to try to make a sale?? Are there any noticeable sonic differences??

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Nick,
I wrote Paradigm a mail and also directly spoke with one of their tech/sales/marketing people on the phone. The person gave me the info on the tweeter and the subwoofer drivers. He said that the monitor ver 3 would be available in the states in the middle of June. Nothing about Canada, but then I did not pose the question.
My sales rep here in the states had no idea about what they are doing. The rep told me no changes in the monitor line, except cosmetic. I mailed tech support and after their reply, I took the mail to the sales rep and he told me he knew nothing about the changes with the tweeter and the carbon-infused cones for the subwoofer drivers.
I am sure you read the posts on here and some have said the ver. 3's are in the marketplace in Canada. I don't really know the answer to your question. I can only go on what I have heard and read from the company and on the various audio web sites.
Also, Bill VanderMarel, Director of Sales and Marketing for Paradigm will be a special guest starting Sunday, June 23rd on the http://www.avsforum.com.
This is the thread. It's located under AVS Special Guests topics on the AVS site.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=134959
You might want to place a question there for him so you can clairify the questions you have about the upcoming changes with their line of speakers.
If I were you, I would ask the sales rep when the 3's are available, you could A/B them yourself and then make a decision on which version you would decide to buy. Again, it seems that everything is speculation at this point in time. Then we get into the issue of getting the best deal too.
Here is the phone number number I used to reach the Paradigm sales/tech support people. 905-632-0180. Ring them up and perhaps they will give you information that will ease your mind on what to purchase.
Hope this helps.
Charles

Adil M

Supporting Actor
My local dealer called the Paradigm Rep (SE). He said there was no intent for Paradigm ot move from their "value-oriented" stance on speakers. The new "high-end line buzz" was considered complete garbage by the dealer. Unfortunately, one of my other Paradigm dealers has been telling me about his constant requests to Paradigm for a high-end line for almost two years. Damn mixed information.:angry:

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
i went to the local dealer today, and saw the new v3 line, mainly the monitor 11s. they seemed to look a lot nicer, but i did not get any chance to listen to them. spent too much time listening to some snells and jm-reynauds :)

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Some information on the new models from Paradigm:
The changes to v3 are not purely cosmetic, there are some fundamental design changes in the new series. The main theme of these changes is a 'trickle down' of sorts from the Reference line. Expect the Reference line to be updated later in the year.
The tweeters are not the same tweeters in the previous series. They have been redesigned and updated. They also feature the 'Waveguide' technology found on the Reference series.
Another change - all models from Monitor 5 up are now 2 1/2 way designs, as opposed to the two way design of the v2 series. The bass driver shares much of its technology from the bass driver of the Reference series. The bass/mid has also been updated.
The balance of the new series has changed. Paradigm made a controversial move with the v2 Monitor series - they balanced them assuming a subwoofer was to be used. The end result was a speaker that didn't go as low as it might. The v3 series has been balanced without a subwoofer in mind, so bass extension should be better.
On the CC-370 centre channel, the tweeter has been raised slightly, allowing the drivers alongside it to be placed closer together.
There have been cosmetic changes as well. Grilles are now rounded and all the floorstanding models feature rounded kickplates at the bottom.
Rest assured the new line is not simply a cosmetic change - there are some fundamental changes in the design. The price points have shifted as well - partly to make room for the recent advancements in the Performance series, and to allow the next generation Reference series to move to new heights.
Personally, I have auditioned the Monitor 3, 5 and 11 in the new series. I will concur that the Monitor 3 is a bit of a disappointment - and will probably be the worst of the line. The Monitor 5, on the other hand, is amazing. The old v2 Monitor 5 was designed to offer an affordable version of the excellent Studio 40 in the Reference series, but it missed the mark a bit. I have to say the new model breaks new ground. If I were to consider the overall sound, I think I'd say the new Monitor 5 is in fact better than the Studio 40. Now, they still have their distinct sound signatures, and the 40 is still an excellent speaker and well worth considering, but the new Monitor 5 v3 is damn good. The Monitor 11 v3 also shows improvement from the previous series. Bass extension is better and there also seems to be a little more texture resolving capabilities in the bass and midband. The high frequencies in all the models seem to have lost a bit of that edginess but still retain the hallmark Paradigm sound.
/Jeff

james e m

Second Unit
Does anybody have a picture of these new speakers? Just curious. Also has anybody been able to confirm the rumored price leap for the v3 of the Studio series? Thanks!
James

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah what Jeff said!

Nick, I would get the v3 series if not for the improvments then because they are the latest in the series. I had to pay an extra $40 for my v3 monitor 7's

A couple weeks ago before I bought the 7's I tried out the v2's. Now The v2s were already broken in and they sounded nice. Then I recieved the v3's and they did sound better than the v2's though that could be my imagination.

Still go for the 3's and just make sure they aren't overcharging you for the upgrade. The dealer could be trying to get rid of his v2's on you.

Arron H

Second Unit
old v2 Monitor 5 was designed to offer an affordable version of the excellent Studio 40 in the Reference series, but it missed the mark a bit. I have to say the new model breaks new ground. If I were to consider the overall sound, I think I'd say the new Monitor 5 is in fact better than the Studio 40. Now, they still have their distinct sound signatures, and the 40 is still an excellent speaker and well worth considering, but the new Monitor 5 v3 is damn good.
This is preety interesting since the Studio 40s seem to be considered the creme de la creme of the Studio line by many. It will be interesting to see just how good the new studio line is and especially the Studio 40 V3.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I got my Mini Monitor V3 back in December. I paid $314 for them. The rest of the Monitor line had not been updated yet, so I have a CC-370 v2.

I never have liked the Monitor 3. The 8" driver is too big to reproduce midrange, and too small to produce deep bass. The end result seemed to be a muddy mix. If you are going to run them with a sub (which you should anyway) I like the Mini Monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks