What's new

Paradigm Monitor Series v.3 (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

where did you get Minis v3 for that price if you don't mind me asking?

Nick V

Second Unit
Jeff,

Are all of the Monitor v3 towers 2 1/2 way designs now?? The Monitor 9 & 11 were already 2 1/2 way designs in version 2. So, are the Monitor 7's now 2 1/2 way, and what about the 5's??

Also, I believe that the "controlled waveguide" had been implemented throughout the Monitor series in the v.2's.

The reason that I am wondering so much about these speakers, is because I already own a pair of Monitor 11's, CC-370 and Monitor 5's all v.2 of course. Now, if there is that big of an improvement, I am considering replacing my current system with a v.3 system as my dealer has a one year trade-up policy. It sounds like, for the minimal amount of money it might be a significant upgrade. But, on the other hand it might not be much of an upgrade at all.

So, before I go spending a few hundred $$ I want to make sure that it is really a sonic upgrade, and not just some prettier (if that's even a word) speakers.

Thanks for all your help.

Nick

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Also, I believe that the "controlled waveguide" had been implemented throughout the Monitor series in the v.2's.
I don't believe so. It may have been similar, of the same descent, but not the same. In v3 they are now the same.
Of the speakers you have, I think the new Monitor 5 will show the most improvement. The new Monitor 11 is also improved, but not to such an extent. We literally just got the new CC in, and I haven't listened to it yet.
There is no doubt the new line is quite different, and I wanted to dispell any thoughts that it was purely a cosmetic upgrade (though cosmetics have changed). There is some new technology and, in what I've heard so far, the sound quality has improved. Bar of course the Monitor 3, but I wasn't much of a fan of it anyway. ;)
Incidentally, the changes simply aim to place all of Paradigm's three lines more concisely. When the Phantom and Legend were updated in the performance series, with the new CC and the new Focus added later, there was a bit of overlap between the lines (the Focus treads on the Mini Monitor v2's toes). The new Monitor line moves them out of Performance's way. Of course now Monitor might be bumping into Reference...but all in good time; the new Reference line in the fall will position things accordingly.
/Jeff

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Jeff,
Thanks for all the info on the new Paradigms. By chance do you have any info on improvements for the new Reference series? A while ago I reported that I spoke with a Paradigm rep and he told me about a huge price increase but didn't give me too many details on the technology itself. Do you have any more info on this?
Also, it seems that the new Monitor series sounds a lot like the Studio series v2. Now, being an owner of Studio 40s, would the new v3 Monitor series match well with the old Studio series? I'm interested in both sound and looks. It would be nice if the new Monitors came in Rosenut veneer. :)
- Mike

StephanieM

Grip
I will be picking up my Monitor 11s v.3 this weekend and am interested in whether bi-wiring will make that much of a difference. Do the benefits outweigh the costs (does it cost that much more to bi-wire anyway)? Thanks.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I bought v.2 Paradigm speakers back in June because they were on sale to clear room for the v.3 (which they wouldn't put out on the floor yet:angry: )
I emailed Paradigm about the differences and this is the reply I received:
After I purchased my v.2 speakers I stopped in to hear the v.3. They were right out of the box yet and really needed to break in so I couldn't do a real comparison. However, I did like to new appearance better. There is a better wood veneer and the speaker is a little more stylish. The monitor 5-9 replaced the lower woofer with the black carbon-infused drivers, similar to the monitor 11. The grilles look a little cheap, kind of like the new Energy Conoisseur line.
I was assured in april that they would be posting the pictures ASAP... still waiting.
Hope it helps. If they've improved the tweeter over the v.2 I would suggest going with the v.3... unless you get a great deal like I did.
PS - Still love my monitor v.2 but would really like Studio line instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks