What's new

Buying Used - Not sure what to do... (1 Viewer)

Bill Lide

Grip
Hey everyone I have a question and need some of the expierence and advise from the masters! :)

I recently sold my house and when I did the buyers ask me to leave my surround sound system and since it was 8yrs old I went ahead and gave it to them since they bought the house. So, now I'm moved into a new house and have no surround sound (Eeek!). The big problem I'm having though is the budget is tight and I only have about $800 to spend and I refuse to buy a Bose setup, so I've been on Craiglist looking for an older setup with some nice equipment. Which brings me to my question... Which setup would you buy? And what should I look for when buying used speakers?

Setup 1 - $800 (5yrs old)
- Yamaha (RX-V620) AV receiver
- Mirage OMNI CC Center Speaker
- Mirage OM-10 Series Floor L/R Speakers (2)
- Mirage FRX-S10 Sub-wooofer
- Klipsche SS-1 Surround Rear Channel Speakers L/R (2)

Setup 2 - $800 (2 to 3 yrs old)
YAMAHA RXV-1000
- Paradigm Monitor 9 v.2 front speakers
- Paradigm ADP 350 rears
- Paradigm CC 370 center
- Paradigm PDR-12 subwoofer

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I looked up the receivers - both are rated at 100 watts a channel x 5 - one has more decoder modes...I think I would go with Setup #2 if just looking at the receivers....I think both of the speakers are good...

the RXV1000:

Power output: 100 watts x 5 (8 ohms RMS)

Decoders: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, DTS, DTS EX, Dolby Pro-Logic

DSP modes: Yes - 41 different modes

Video inputs & outputs: 3 x video inputs and 2 x video loops (with s-video, composite video and stereo audio), 2 x component video inputs, 1 x component video output, s-video and composite video monitor outputs, zone 2 output with stereo audio and composite video

More info here:
DISCONTINUED YAMAHA RXV1000 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/579 for details

For the RX-V620:

Decoders: DTS decoder, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic

Yamaha RX-V620 Specs. AV receivers Specifications.

Bill Lide

Grip
Thanks for the help! I did the research but just never bought used speakers before, so I wasn't sure which would be better. What problems should I look for while inspecting the units before I buy them.

Bill

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
There are usually two categories that used speakers fall into - either they look and sound brand new and were well taken care of, or they don't look new and haven't been so well taken care of. If they don't look and sound brand new- then there could be some cosmetic issues (scratches) that have little to no effect on the sound.

Make sure to check all of the drivers in the speakers - make sure there is no damage to any of the speaker cones. If the cone material is made of metal (some tweeters are made of medal also) - you might want to check for dents.

If at all possible, be sure to give them a listen first - and try to hear them at a loud volume. If the volume is low, you can actually hide some flaws in the speaker...but as it goes up, listed for any "strange" sounds that would come from a speaker that is not fully functional.

Good luck....

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bill,

That's some good advice from Martio. I would add, 2 years vs. 5 years doesn't matter with speakers, sound-wise. Get the ones that sound best to you or meet some other requirements that are important to you (size, etc.). Actually, the older speakers might be a better deal, because you can probably get them cheaper. The "rule of thumb" for used equipment is that it typically should cost no more than 1/2 of original street value. Newer used equipment, a couple of years old or less, and especially if it's still current production, might justifiably command a higher price.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am partial to Yamaha/Paradigm, myself. Of course you should audition both systems and choose the one that sounds the best to you. I have had my Paradigm Monitor 7s for 10 years and have had no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks