What's new

Paradigm monitor question (1 Viewer)

Adam Ray

Auditioning
Does anyone have the monitor3s. If so how do you like them. Also how does this look for a speaker setup.

Paradigm Monitor 3s front
Paradigm Mini Mon surrounds
Paradigm Center ... havent decided
and possibly a SVS sub....

How much can the monitor3s and the mini mons be had for, thanks.

Nick V

Second Unit
I have listened to the monitor series quite extensively (I own Monitor 11's and CC-370) and I am not a big fan of the sound of the 3's and the 9's. I you were wanting to go with a big bookshelf speaker for the fronts, you might want to take a look at the Monitor 5's. IMO they're better speakers than the 3's. The Mini's are great for surrounds, and if it's possible in your setup, you may want to consider using a single mini monitor as a centre channel rather than one of the dedicated units.

Anyways, happy listening, and you won't be dissapointed whichever way you go!!

Brian Warren

Stunt Coordinator
I really like the minis I have for mains with the cc370. I have adp 170's on hte sideas with titans to the rear. great set up. people dont like the 3's cause of the 8" driver I believe. perhaps the front port hinders it as well. expect to pay no more then 5-10% below retail at most and be happy with retail price, they are still reasonably priced

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, the 8" driver on the 3 isn't liked by much (if any). You can't use them as mains are there isn't a center channel that's timbre matched. Which means you gotta use a third one instead. And who has room for that?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The V3 Monitor 3 is rear ported.

The 3 is timbre matched to the CC370, just the same as the Mini and 5s are. This is more dependent on the Tweeter and crossover than anything else, so the 8" driver is not as significant. I never really liked the 3s, because the v2s never really sounded that good, they are kind of "sloppy". I have not spent any amount of time with the v3s, but I would hope they sound better. I have 5s and a 370 and I am very pleased with this setup.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I have the 3's as my rear speakers, 7's up front along with a CC-350. The 3's sound great for my surrounds!!

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I agree with everyone else, the 8" driver in the 3's isn't that great. I would get 4 Minis over the 3's. I have Minis and a CC-370 up front with Titans in the rear. You might be surprised at how balanced the Minis are for main speakers. I even used them for a short time without a sub, and they have impressive bass response for their size. I have considered moving up to the 5's but I don't think it is necessary with a good sub.

Not to get out of hand, but if you start considering the 5's, the Studio 20's are only slightly more expensive and give you dramaticaally better results. But then you have to shell out the extra cash for the matching center.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
BrianWoerndle, I agree completely. The mini's x 4 are great, but the bass isn't quality stuff. It was great for my computer setup, but when I moved my theater into the room, music wasn't as clean as my 7semk3's. I upgraded to Studio 100's, 20's, CC and servo 15. WOW. The Studio 20's with a good sub would best any of the monitor line (IMO).

I would go with the studio 20's unless they just aren't possible. I would even consider studio 20's and Studio cc upfront and whatever you can afford in the rear (titans, atoms, mini-monitors...even used) until you could upgrade again. Then you could move the 20's back and get 60's or 100's upfront. If you gave the studio 20's an audition with the mini-monitors IN HOME, I don't think you could turn down the 20's. What the hell, you'll only have to donate a little more plasma.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks