What's new

Paradigm/HSU Sub Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
I am new here and have been lurking for a few weeks. You all have a great forum and I have learned alot. I have a question that perhaps some of you can guide me on. I am retiring my 20 year old Klipsch Heresys and I have ordered Paradigm Studio 20s, CC Studio Center and Atoms for my first HT system and I need to decide on a sub. The system will be used 50/50 HT/music, the room is small (11x13) and I live in an apartment so I cannot crank the sub up too much. The choices I have come to are:
1. (lest expensive) Paradigm PDR8 $270
2. Paradigm (middle cost)PDR10 $315
3. HSU VTF2 (Most expensive). $450
I have not been able to audition the Paradigm subs, but I have listened to the HSU and it sounds pretty good. The
Paradigms are less expensive and since they smaller they would be much easier to place in my small room. The questions are:
1. Given the modest volume requirements I have for a sub and the small room it will be in, will the HSU provide significantly better sound.
2. Would the Paradigm subs be more musical with tighter bass do to their small size? If the HSU is the superior product I have no problem spending the extra dollars, but if smaller and less expensive would work just as well given my volume constraints then one of the Paradigms would be the way to go for me. Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Nick

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Go with the HSU, smaller isn't a good indicator of* tightness*.
Another solid option for you would be the ct120 from Vel.
The VTF-2 really isn't that big...so I dont think you'll have any major placement issues.
TV

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I had the VTF-2 in an almost identical size room- 12x12. I upgraded from an 8" Velodyne and the difference was significant. The VTF-2 is a no-brainer recommendation. It is a fantastic sub; you would have to spend significantly more to improve upon it.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Given those choices I'd go with the HSU. However, the Adire Audio Rava is pretty tempting at $400.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replys everyone. It looks like the HSU is the way to go.
Regards, Nick

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I have a RAVA, my cousin has a VTF-2. I love my RAVA, but in your smallish room, the very compact VTF-2 would probably fit better and sound great. Leave the plug in, and you will have subterranean bass.
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks