What's new

Panasonic ST60 or Samsung F5500 ? (1 Viewer)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I'd appreciate input on what to buy.

Well my ancient (by today's standards) Sony KP61-HS10 has finally become semi-unwatchable and in a moment of weakness my wife indicated that we could probably get a new TV. When I saw the difference in prices between 60" and 64" /65" inch sets, I decided that I would choose a 60. I wanted plasma. My living room has lots of windows but we have heavy curtains over all of them so too much light shouldn't be a factor.

Anyhow, I looked in local stores as a starting point and decided that either the Panny or the Sammy listed above would be reasonable choice. Unfortunately no local store actually had both in stock. I took a few 3D movies to Bestbuy (ST60) and HHGregg (F5500) and did some looking [Hugo, Tron, Wreck-it-Ralph]. Both sets seemed to be pretty good with the Samsung at 1200 and the Panasonic at 1500 local prices including interest free financing, delivery, haul away, and enough setup to see that the system was not obviously defective. I've seen several reviews of the ST60 some with some technical specs but none of the Samsung of any depth at all.

FWIW the glasses for both sets seemed very light and relatively comfortable. The samsung glasses were $20 but HHG would sell me up to 3 extra pairs for $10 each. The panasonic glasses were $79. However, according to several on line sites the samsung glasses will work on the panasonic as well.

If you think there's a different choice that I should be considering, I'd like to hear it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Samsung will be better for 3D content because it can produce full HD 3D images, on the Panasonic ST60 the brightest and darkest screen updates are drawn at 1080p resolution, with intermediate brightness steps being displayed at 540p, this is a side effect of the panel drive system known as single-scan 3D, now the ST60 will have a better filter for reflections, the F5500 i have heard is like a mirror when there is light in the room.

The Samsungs still suffer brightness pops, that's what we call them in the UK, you call them Hockey pops, it can happen when there is a scene going from light to dark but not dark to light, for example a sunny sky where the camera pans down to a dark forest, i noticed this on my Samsung E6500 in a scene from Wrath Of The Titans, you can see a few of these pops in Resident Evil:Afterlife near the end of the film in the completely white room too, it's mild and mostly fine and i have been hearing for a long time about a firmware fix but it never comes, its due to how Samsung implements their ABL, automatic brightness limiter, a system brought into place to lower the power and help us all "save the planet."

I prefer the Panasonic 3D glasses to the lightweight Samsungs due to their design, i think more side light can get in when you wear the Samsungs and i dislike the feel of them on my head, mind you i wear glasses.

The Panasonic ST60 will give you a better 2D image, the Samsung will give you a better 3D image, the choice is yours.

I think the Samsung 60 inch E6500 might still be on sale, its a great set, if you can find it and if 3D is important then buy it over both of the above, if 2D is your main priority with decent 3D performance then buy the ST60, it's better than the F5500 due to the filter and black level performance which enhances image quality no end.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All the boards I've been checking on the "top dogs" from both(VT60 and F8500) say the same thing...

Absolute 2D perfection from Panny.
Better 3D from Samsung.

The only question I have is why LG stayed out of it this year. Unless they are trumpeting passive 3D, which won't work on plasma anyway.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Thanks for the input, guys. Since I have about 25 3D blu-rays and 400 or so 2D blu-rays and waaaay more DVDs that either, I decided to go with the ST60. It will be delivered Wednesday (according to BestBuy's schedule. If I had ordered it yesterday, I could have saved money on a price match with Sears. Oh, well.

Dick

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
We have an HTF Review coming tonight on the Panasonic..... I've played with both, I think you won't be disappointed in the ST60

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks