What's new

PacBell DSL Connection Drops (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
In the past several weeks, my system has been droppong the DSL connection at inappropriate times -- like when I'm online and surfing etc. One might expect the PacBell server to drop idle connections at night, but not while you're active.

I have a Kingston/Ethernet 300 modem utility and Win98SE.

Usually, a simple Connect click on the system try icon results in a timeout default, so I am forced to use the trick of turning off the modem for 2 minutes then activating the desktop link. Then I go to PacBell's System Status website to check but dont find anything relevant IMPAIRED.

The only thing new I've done recently is add ZoneLabs firewall, but even when I disable the firewall, the connection will drop once or twice a day.

Is it PacBell DSL or my system configutation?

edit: I have the link to dslreports.com so I may have to use their methodolgies to track this down.

Glenn L

Stunt Coordinator
I use PacBell DSL. It's been solid for months now (I have a firewall box connected 24x7). You and I aren't connected to the same office, though.

You might try removing that firewall software instead of just disabling it. PacBell won't even start to help you if they think the problem is on your end.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Problem fixed, a/c to PacBell, and fairly simply:

I called SBC DSL Tech, who had me create a new Work Profile under my existing EnterNet300 IP Authentication configuration.

He said the previous connection profile was not crediting my account, thus randomly dropping the connection to the server.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks