1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Buying cheap modem, router, and VOIP boxes

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dennis Nicholls, Dec 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Being retired I can afford to spend the time on being a hobbyist for electronic stuff.

When Clearwire ceased operations in 2015, I had to switch to my cable supplier, CableOne, for internet access. Their original lowest tier service was 50 MBS. So I bought a used Motorola SB 6121 for $40 off Amazon. A few months later I bought a wifi TV so I bought a $20 wifi router, the TP-Link TL-WR841N, which had non-Gigabit Ethernet and only 2.4 GHz wifi. It was good enough for the TV.

A few months later CableOne raised their lowest tier from 50 MBS to 100 MBS with the price only going from $50/mo to $55/mo. Not bad. The non-Gigabit ports were marginal but speedtest.net showed 94 MBS to my desktop.

Then last year I bought a $100 OOMA VOIP box and plugged it in wired to the router. It worked just fine. My wired phone bill went down from $70/mo to $5/mo.

This Thanksgiving I bought a pre-Xmas sale of a refurbished Dell e6420 laptop for $140. (This is some kind of deal.) On 2.4 GHz it was only getting around 15 - 30 MBS connection, so I knew it was time to get a better router.

Two weeks ago Newegg had a 24-hour pre-Xmas sale of the TP-Link Archer AC1200 C5 V2 dual-band router for $29.99 shipped. So I bought one. It plugged right in and was configured with no effort. The speedtest.net tests on my laptop went from 15 - 30 MBS to 103 MBS! And on the desktop from 94 MBS to 113 MBS. So the non-Gigabit Ethernet ports really were a bottleneck.

My point is that it's possible through cheap shopping to get household connectivity for very little money. My modem/router/VOIP total $170. And the OOMA dropped my phone bill enough to amortize all this in a couple of months. A lot of people recommend the TP-Link Archer C5 and I agree with them that it's a great budget dual-band router.