What's new

P.W.S. Anderson on the Event Horizon SE (1 Viewer)

John*A

Auditioning
I've read stories on the net which both say that the theatrical cut of Event Horizon is the directors cut.

One source is an interview with a former scriptwriter of AVP, who asked a paramount exec what was in the longer cut of EH as he liked the film. The exec flatly replied back there is no longer cut.

The other source claimed that he saw the final cut with Mr. Anderson and friends at his London home and it was the version seen in theatres. Apparently if anything, Mr Anderson would've made some more cuts to tighten pacing.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

I wish every director would take the time to review their commentaries. It sure would lead to less truly awful ones (ie Tim Burton on Edward Scissorhands).

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Yes, there will be deleted scenes on the Event Horizon SE.

The Unrated AvP did have some new scenes not seen in the one disc release of AvP.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I received the Event Horizon special collector's edition. Three deleted scenes are on disc two (only one has the original audio track and all three have director commmentary (the first scene is optional commentary). I will write a DVD Review after the weekend. Listening to the audio commentary right now.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure he has stated that there was a longer cut, but it was just a rough cut. The theaterical cut is the directors cut. Although I beleive he did say the first cut was too graphic and was chopped down. Be a nice purchase at hopefully a 20 dollar price.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm surprised Paramount went for 2-discs on this. Most of their 16x9 reissues (rare to begin with) are fairly bare.

Good DVD for a reissue though, the previous DVD was 'horrific' indeed. Didn't really care much for the movie, but the sets were incredible.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I watched more of the disc 2 extras. The post-production featurette has a couple of incomplete deleted scenes included and gives the scoop on the rushed post-production process which resulted in a theatrical cut that Anderson would have wanted to had more time to edit.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
That being said, he could have edited it for this DVD release but chose not to (ok this is conjecture but plausible). Does it say what exactly he would have liked to change?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The big problem of why they didn't include the deleted scenes back into the movie amounts to three things: no audio track left, exists in video only (the film trims were lost or misplaced), or they couldn't find it. Only one deleted scene had it's audio track surviving (and Anderson said he might have edited it dfown to keep it in the movie if he had the time back then). That is why no director's cut of EVENT HORIZON isn't included on the SCE.

Edward, he wanted to refine the gore. lots of gore was cut out of the first edit and put back some of the visions of Hell stuff.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
The only question I kinda hate to bring up and I guess soon we will know the studios way of doing things. Since this is a remaster and stuff why not make this a good starting HD release? That is the only that holds me from this.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I gotta agree with Chad here. This would have been a perfect initial HD release. I have the old dvd and was all set to get this new one but the prospect of buying this again in HD in a few years has made me decide to wait. This and the new Mission Impossible disc are just too close to the HD rollout and just seem a little late.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, David. Looking forward to this release. I put off getting the original release for SO long...

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Do any fellow Canadians know the release status of this title up here? I looked on futureshop.ca and bestbuy.ca, and both have no listing for the SE at all, and Amazon.ca has it listed with a release date of April 18th, and a price of $16.14, but it says "IMPORT" next to the title. I have a bad feeling that this is delayed in Canada for some stupid reason. Anyone with any info?

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Best Buy, Future Shop, and Starstruck Entertainment (a DVD only store) and none of them had this available. Maybe the Canadian release has been delayed.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I have the review done, and it was posted for a few seconds before all the problems started with the board. Once it stablizes, I will put up the review. As a preview, it's a great SE, with a dynamite audio and video presentation. There are 3-4 hours of special features, with behind the scenes stuff and a 5 part documentary! It comes recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks