Outlaw 1050 + Parasound HCA-855A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Demaree, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Parasound HCA-855A (5 channels, 85wpc). After connecting it to the pre-outs on my 1050, calibrating sound levels, listening to 3 CD's and watching a movie I noticed a few things. The sound from my speakers (Paradigm Titans, cc-170 and Energy Take2's) is definately 'better'. It seems to have more impact and a bit more clarity. The one downside is a very slight hum that might be comming from the amp (if I turn off the 1050 and leave the amp on - the hum is still there). Since I have each amp channel set to 'maximum' would it make any difference if I turned them down slightly and just increased the volume on my 1050 to compensate? Generally speaking, should the amp channels be set to maximum or just a bit under prior to calibration?

2. Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels Stunt Coordinator

3. Chris Demaree

The hum is comming through the speakers, from the amp. Since I have no prior experience with external amps, I was wondering what the causes might be. It doesn't bother me, or interfere with music/movies, but I am curious [​IMG]

4. Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels Stunt Coordinator

You are describing a ground loop hum.

5. Chris Demaree

Thanks for information [​IMG] Reading through the information has given me a couple of ideas.