What's new

Parasound HCA-855a vs. Outlaw 1050 (1 Viewer)

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
Equipment used:
Outlaw Audio 1050 6.1 receiver (65wpc x 6)
Parasound HCA-855a (85wpc x 5)
Paradigm Titans v2 (Mains)
Paradigm cc-170 v2 (center)
Energy Take2's (surrounds)
SVS 20-39pc (acoustic pressure generator) :)
Radio Shack Gold Series interconnects ($4.95 each @ 1m)
Toshiba sd-2200 DVD
12x13x8 Livingroom, open to the kitchen along one 12' 'wall'
I have been VERY happy with the Outlaw 1050. It has performed flawlessly. I have never worried about a lack of power with this unit, as it is MORE than capable of generating SPL's greater than what I normally listen to. I purchased the 5 channel Parasound amp, used, from Brian AM in preperation for the Outlaw 950 preamp. Since my Outlaw 1050 has pre-outs I figured I would see how much of a difference an external amp makes. I connected the Parasound to my receiver with Radio Shack Gold Series cables (at $4.95 each, hard to beat the price/performance ratio).
After using this setup for 2 weeks I can confidently state that the Parasound amp is VASTLY superior in every way! The sound from my speakers has so MUCH more impact, detail and imaging. I was perfectly happy with the sound before the upgrade, now I am just stunned and amazed. Every song I listen to, every DVD I have watched has left me in awe. I cannot believe how much better my speakers sound. Just typing up this review makes we want to go into the other room and listen to yet another song or two.
When I purchased the 1050 over a year ago, there was a night and day difference between it and my old pro-logic receiver. Replacing my Paradigm PDR-10 with the SVS was a night and day difference. Adding the Parasound HCA-855a to my ever growing list of equipment was not ...at first. After listening to various CD's (Pink Floyd, Zepplin, Metallica etc.) and watching a couple movies, I really started to notice the detail and imaging differences. After two weeks, I cannot go back. The sound is not any louder (as measured by my RS SPL meter), it is simply much 'better' (fuller, richer, more vibrant, slam, alive ...take your pick). Can't wait to add the 950 into the mix and see what happens!

Thanks for the post. As you can see from my post under the Outlaw/Klipsch topic, I am so satisfied with my 1050 that I have been undeceided whether I will buy the 950/770 combo when my resertvation (which I procrastinated making) comes up. Your post has convinced me that I should definatly exercise the option. I can always return them under the money back guarantee, losing only the shipping. But from what you say, that probably will not happen.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
When I added the Parasound 855 to my Onkyo 797 I knew instantly that I had made an excellent decision to add separate amplification. The 855 is an excellent amp for the $$$. Probably the best value on the market for the price. The soundstage opened up considerably and the dynamic range of this amp is quite considerable. I also found imaging to be much better than any receiver I have ever heard(have had 4 receivers in the past 15 months). I am on the waiting list for the Outlaw 950 and hope it ships soon. Can't wait to hear the Parasound/950 combo. Although by the time I get the 950 I may have a Parasound 2205!

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Count my vote in for the 855 amplifier as well. The best value in amps bar none. This puppy sells for $699 retail, which is still a damn bargain for the sound it puts out. I bought mine for $375 since it was the demo unit and have it mated with a Yamaha rxv-1200 as the pre. I couldn't be more satisfied.

-Vic: tu:

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to extend many thanks to Chris, he was a pleasure to deal with...:D I'm thrilled you like the amp!!

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian, I am so damn satisfied with this amp. Once the SVS 20-39pc driver upgrade and the 950 arrive, I will be all set :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks