What's new

Out of the loop.....need help (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the market for some mid range replacments to use as right and left front channels. My knowledge of speakers is fairly outdated. I am using my excellent Boston Acoustics A60s as a reference point.

Can anyone suggest something comparable? Similar price, size and quality range in today's market?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
What is the reason for the change? If it is just for the sake of change maybe you should listen to what is available and see if it is enough improvement for the cost.

What is your CC and are you concerned with voice/timbre matching?

Please give us more of a budget idea. When the A60 came out in the early 80's I was in high school now 40 years old is just around the corner.

Also, I just now answered your PM from a few weeks ago.

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Thanks for the PM.

As to the speakers; the A60s are still great. I just need another set for my father is all.

Tim K

Second Unit
are these just going to be used on their own, or will they be matched with any center or surround speakers? What is the proportion they will be used for HT vs Music?

If you like Boston Acoustics, they have a number of speakers you should look at. I am a BA fan and owner. I feel they do very well for both music and movies. I think they are a "lesser known" brand because they don't seem to have wide distribution for their home speakers. Whereas their Car speakers are more available.

Check out the compact reference line if you are interested in bookshelf type speakers. The CR-65's go for about $200/pr.:
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...p?CategoryID=4

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'd also check audiogon.com for used speakers.

Also maybe CurtisSC will chime in here. I've seen a post from him stating that the best value he has heard is the Acoustic Energy Aespirit 300C for $200 on ebay(retail is about $449-499). I do see good things about this speaker at audioasylum but haven't heard it myself.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Thanks Chris...

Yes.....Acoustic Energy Aespirit 300C for $200 on eBay is the best deal I have heard. I would say grab them if all you want to spend is $200. I think they retail for $550.

There are better speakers out there if you want to spend a couple hundred more...but for under $300, there is not anything that I have heard that sounds as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks