What's new

What is your favorite Apple Product...and why? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Unknown.png

What is your favorite Apple Product...and why?

For those of us that love our Apple products, there has to be one in particular that we get the most enjoyment from on a daily basis. Would love to hear which one product most positively affects you.

For me?

Unknown.jpeg

Though I use my 13" Macbook Pro more than my 27" iMac seemingly almost every hour of the waking day, it's not the device that I am most proud of.

For me, it's the Apple Watch

Why? It provides so much instant information at the turn of the wrist.

Since it has a bluetooth connection, I can park my iPhone 6S Plus anywhere and roam around my workplace or home and receive the most important notifications from email alerts to text messages to breaking news stories.

If I want to ask Siri a question, set a timer or a reminder, I just turn my wrist and ask. I can read entire emails without opening up my phone. At a glance, I can check weather or stocks.

The watch can look formal or casual based on the interchangeable wristbands that are available. Milanese Loop or steel band for formal nights. Rubber sport band for casual/work wear.

Most of all, it's the one Apple product that gets the most notice. "Oh, that's an Apple Watch, isn't it?" is the question I get most often. For those times the phone rings and I can't get to my iPhone 6s Plus that is at the other end of the building, people get a good chuckle out of seeing me answer the call and talk to my watch like Dick Tracy would. It's not a tactic I often use, but sometimes it can't be helped. And the person calling me never knows that I am talking to him/her on my watch.

Though Samsung was first in bringing their Gear watches to the marketplace, I think they suck. I owned one. Thought it was quite cool at first. However, the day Apple announced their watch, I knew it was over for Samsung. Apple really made a more innovative device that Samsung has been unable to match (except in longer battery life).

Yeah, I know that most people don't think this is a "necessary" device that is "right for them." Probably why most of you think it's odd I picked the Apple Watch as my absolute favorite. However, different strokes for different folks.

I am looking forward to see what improvements are made to the Watch 2 this fall. My guess (based on rumors) is that the watch will be be able to be operated independently of the phone. So, no more bluetooth connection is needed.​

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I own the 42mm Apple Watch Sport (Space Gray) and *love* it.
I use it for fitness, notifications, remote control of my iPhone in the car ("Hey Siri play my Favs playlist, shuffled"); and I never miss a phone call now while shopping. I hated the band that came with it, though. I ended up purchasing the band adapters on Amazon along with a nice black steel link band for it. (This was before Apple released the Space Black Milanese loop). I use the Utility Watch Face most of the time with the Dark Sky app "complication" along with the Calendar and Sunrise/Sunset options. I use Apple Pay on it all the time as well. The Apple Pay feature on the Watch is almost like magic. This is definitely a 21st Century gadget!

BUT ... My new favorite Apple device is my brand new 9.7" iPad Pro.

This is my third iPad and it blows the previous two (iPad 3 and iPad Air) out of the water.

The Pencil finally allows me to easily take notes as if I was writing in a traditional paper notebook. Worrying about where my palm is when I write is now a thing of the past.

The four speaker system provides a real "depth" to the sound when viewing a modern TV show or movie on Netflix. And music sounds great as well (could use a little more bass from the lower speakers, but that's a minor complaint.).

The speed when running even Excel and Word side-by-side is breathtaking. Safari and Chrome web pages just snap right in.

The display is at least 50% better than my old iPad Air in the area of brightness and reflection reduction. It makes reading books and magazines on it a pleasure. (The new TruTone option helps out here as well.)

I have already logged-in to my office PC twice this weekend using LogMeIn with the Pencil acting as my navigation tool (tap the Pencil twice on a file in Explorer and then drag it where you want it) and there is no doubt that this is all I'll need to take with me on trips now.

I have barely put the thing down since I acquired it last Thursday!
It's my new favorite Apple Device!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My favorite is my iPhone. I have (and have owned) quite a few different Apple devices over the past 10 years. I started out with an iPod Nano for my wife which was stolen at her work about a week after she got it. I replaced it with a regular iPod and later picked up a shuffle for myself. Then came the iPhone... More about that in a bit. About 4 years ago I bought a 13" MacBook Pro for myself and my wife bought a 15" MacBook Pro which she sold to Gazelle after a couple of years and downgraded to a MacBook Air. I have two Apple tvs, an Airport Extreme, an Airport Express and we each had an iPad Mini 2 but sold them both after not using them for countless months.

Back to the iPhone. We both bought our first iPhones when the 3gs came out. Up until then we both had a Motorola Razor (well, mine died about a year before the 3gs and I got talked into a horrible Samsung Windows smartphone by the AT&T rep). Then we both upgraded to the 4s, then the 5s and finally the 6s.

I ranked the iPhone as my favorite, slightly edging out my MacBook Pro because the iPhone has evolved to become more than the consumption device it was designed to be. It's not only my phone. It's my calculator, my internet browser, my bank, my credit card company, my social media platform, my reminder list, my calendar, my alarm clock, my radio station which houses my entire music collection, my tv on the go thanks to Netflix and youtube, my breaking news feed, my instant messenger, my email client, my weather station, my GPS navigator, my camera, my car insurance agent, my mobile game platform, my dictionary and my fitness tracker. It has more processing power than an Apollo spacecraft and it fits neatly in my pocket. My iPhone is the one device I would be lost without.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My favorite Apple product would be the NeXT computers I used and programmed in college ;)

My favorite Apple product that I bought is my iPhone 6s. I loved my 2007 15" MBP and my pair of iPod nanos were great. My iPad is my go to travel companion and is used as much or more than my iMac. But it's the iPhone I rely on the most, both in daily life, on travel and vacation. Music, maps, notes, scheduling my next dentist appointment at the dentist. And sometimes I even make a phone call. I'll give up everything else before i give up the iPhone.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Don't want to piss anybody off, but there are some of us who have never, ever owned an Apple product. No boycotting them or anything like that, just never found the need. Life does go on just fine without them.

Years ago when I did all the IT work for the company I was with, had to buy one Apple computer so we could test our web pages. First and only experience with Apple.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My first PC was an Apple IIe, purchased around the time the line originally launched. Probably still my favorite of all time product (relative to when the product was new vs. at the current moment. Especially in terms of overall enjoyment.) I spent many an hour playing the Sierra On-Line graphic adventures, the Infocom text adventures, and Wizardry I & II on that system. Good times.

Runner up would be 2nd generation Ipod which got me through many a long day in front of a computer at work.

- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Don't want to piss anybody off, but there are some of us who have never, ever owned an Apple product. No boycotting them or anything like that, just never found the need. Life does go on just fine without them.

OK, so why post in the Apple forum about a favorite Apple product? /boggle

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm gonna say iPhone.

The other night, I was getting ready to leave work, and I thought my iPhone had died. (It came back to life the next morning, lucked out there.) When you don't have it anymore, you realize how much you rely on it. I couldn't call my fiancé to see if she needed me to pick up anything on the way home, and I couldn't check the train schedules. My boss communicates during our shifts primary through text message, so I was out of reach as far as work was concerned, not great for a job that's essentially an on-call thing. I didn't have music or reading material on the trip home. Didn't have my alarm clock the following morning. The iPhone also works as the remote for my receiver and Oppo when using my projector (the screen blocks the regular remote sensor), so if I had wanted to watch a movie it would have been a bit trickier. And I missed having the phone handy for looking up trivia quickly when watching tv.

The truth is, all of those functions could be served by other things. If necessary I could have gotten an inexpensive dumb phone the next day for texts and calls, grabbed a book for train reading material, used the regular remote on the receiver, etc., so I wouldn't have been really screwed, just temporarily inconvenienced.

But being without the iPhone for 12 hours really made it clear how much I ask it to do for me. It's useful for so many things, expected and unexpected, that I have to call it my favorite. I rarely use my MacBook Pro anymore now that I've got an iPhone.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My 160GB iPod, which I'm not sure they even make anymore. I have every song I've ever owned, some transferred from 8-track and cassette, on this thing, as well as other odds and ends. About 1,100 soundtracks. Thousands of popular albums, as well as Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes audio dramas from the 1940s, dozens of unabridged audio books, and more. I've had it for years (I'm careful to back up my iTunes library). My whole personal history of sound in a device about the size of a deck of cards. Sometimes I still can't believe it.
IMGA0055.JPG

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alan,

They stopped making that 160GB iPod...oh....two years ago.

Mine died recently and I paid a nice premium, about $500, to get a new one.

It just amazes me that Apple hasn't introduced a new 160GB iPod for those of us --- and there has to be many --- that carry around a huge music library.

I have close to 10,000 songs in my iTune library and the puny 256GB drives that Apple puts into their premier products don't cut it.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have a 120GB ipod (6th generation) that still works but I got the 160GB because I hated the sluggish response wheel on the 120GB.

I will gladly pay $400+ for a new 160GB when I have to. I have had this one for eight years (survived two crashed desktops).

I hope at some point Apple brings the 160GB iPods back.

Last edited:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that Apple will be bringing back 160GB iPods anytime soon. They would rather that you pay $25/year for their iTunes Match service which allows you to stream your entire iTunes music library (irrespective of the source of the music it contains) to all of your iOS devices.

Another alternative might be the rumored 256GB iPhone 7.

Getting back to the thread: I get why the iPhone is being chosen by some as their favorite Apple device. Truth is, I just take my iPhone for granted now. I already know that I can't live without it: My shiny new iPad Pro is a WiFi only model since I know I can always generate a hotspot for it from my iPhone. My Apple Watch is the ultimate iPhone accessory. Since the iPhone is *essential* -- and I can't ever envision being without it -- it has disqualified itself from my mind as also being a favorite device: I'm just going to own an iPhone no matter what!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
OK, so why post in the Apple forum about a favorite Apple product? /boggle

Like I said, didn't want to piss anyone off. But I was polite, just stating a different point of view, not thread-crapping. I'm not anti-Apple, just never been a part of my life, things do continue just fine without Apple. Maybe someday I'll try them.

My sister texts me from her iPhone. Does that earn me a little forgiveness? :)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
It's hard to say. Possibly my iPhone e 6+. It's big enough for my old tired eyes to see whatever I need and
I use it a lot, having replaced my iPad 2 as my look up device while watching stuff on my tv.

OTOH as far as sheer pleasure, and lots of nostalgia, it would probably be my apple II, not II GS, not II e, not even II+. I did lots of programming, lots of games and probably lots of other stuff. And I still have a couple of them lying around ready to be resurrected.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Purely for nostalgia and novelty, my Apple IIc.

I also get a kick out of the 20 GB HP co-branded iPod.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Well my Apple watch is now front and center in my life. Paired with my iPhone 6 I can do and get to any information I need. Once you use a Apple watch and get a charging schedule down it is perfect. It is skinny enough to wear to bed, and the vibration awake works like a charm and is much more pleasant then any sound. Get up throw it on the charger take my shower get dressed and it is fully or close to fully charged for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks