What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Our Miss Brooks on DVD (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Burned MoD discs.

So yes, no fanfare, no announcement, they're just sort of dumped out there for people to find and report on forums like this and TSOD will let people know in their weekly news dump.

Over in the TV News Roundup thread, there's a discussion about the sets currently going on since people have received their copies already.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Burned MoD discs.

So yes, no fanfare, no announcement, they're just sort of dumped out there for people to find and report on forums like this and TSOD will let people know in their weekly news dump.

Over in the TV News Roundup thread, there's a discussion about the sets currently going on since people have received their copies already.

Which is all we need at this stage with DVD/Blu Rays fading. I am very careful with the way I handle my discs so I am not concerned with scratches. Other than the scratch preventing coating there is no difference in professionally made DVD-R's and pressed discs. When they 1st came out in 2009 we had no track record on them. Now we have 10 years and there are less reported failures on these than pressed discs. I still think they are the same and no disc will last forever but one is definitely not better than the other. All Mod discs whether pressed or burned are however more expensive because of the limited release.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
This from a reviewer on Amazon: 'CBS restored this really funny series for syndication about 4 years ago. They are finally releasing it (in 2 volumes, one with 19 episodes, one with 18.) Supposedly, the running time is 424 minutes. That breaks down to 22 1/2 minutes per show. Volume 2 will be missing one episode that for some reason did not get restored or put into the syndication package. I know this because I have a set of these episodes taken from old tv broadcasts and I have the missing show as well as full-length versions of many of the episodes. At $34.99 for each half-set, these are really no bargain.'

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
This from a reviewer on Amazon: 'CBS restored this really funny series for syndication about 4 years ago. They are finally releasing it (in 2 volumes, one with 19 episodes, one with 18.) Supposedly, the running time is 424 minutes. That breaks down to 22 1/2 minutes per show. Volume 2 will be missing one episode that for some reason did not get restored or put into the syndication package. I know this because I have a set of these episodes taken from old tv broadcasts and I have the missing show as well as full-length versions of many of the episodes. At $34.99 for each half-set, these are really no bargain.'
That “missing” episode actually IS included in the set. I received my copies and can say 100% that it is included.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Wait...you mean an Amazon review featured inaccurate information, ridiculous opinions and assumptions, and proved to be completely worthless? I'm shocked!

(I really hope I didn't need to include an emoticon to indicate I was being sarcastic.)

Maybe I'm forgetting one, but in all these years I think I've read maybe 2 Amazon reviews which could be considered helpful. One was written by one of the regular posters on this board who had already posted similar comments on a thread here so I knew it was trustworthy and accurate, and the other was a review on the German Amazon site which, once I used Google translator, confirmed that an item included the English track.

Any other review I've looked at either contained inaccurate and/or misleading information, incomplete information, reviewed the movie or TV show instead of the disc quality and features, or said things like:

"Thank you for making this, Amazon."

"When is this coming out?" (Or some similarly silly comments indicating they were posting a review before the item was even available and/or in their possession.)

"I bought this as a gift. I hope my <insert spouse's, friend's, or total stranger's name> likes it."

Or, in the case of some DVDs and Blus: "Wow! This is a great VHS tape!"

Thank you, Robert, for confirming that there are no missing episodes.

I look forward to purchasing this (and hopefully all remaining seasons), despite the edits. Not ideal by any means, but at this stage of TV-on-disc, if it's imperfect or nothing, I'll settle for imperfect.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Other than the scratch preventing coating there is no difference in professionally made DVD-R's and pressed discs. When they 1st came out in 2009 we had no track record on them. Now we have 10 years and there are less reported failures on these than pressed discs. I still think they are the same and no disc will last forever but one is definitely not better than the other.

You may be surprised. I was given a few of the first Japanese CDs made back in 1982 by a record producer friend in Brazil during a visit. I pull them out and play them from time to time. They still play like new. That's 48 years ago.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I look forward to purchasing this (and hopefully all remaining seasons), despite the edits. Not ideal by any means, but at this stage of TV-on-disc, if it's imperfect or nothing, I'll settle for imperfect.

I generally have the opposite opinion. Unless it's a show that I really really like, I usually avoid TV show DVD's that have cut up/edited episodes, I don't want to waste money on junk like that. One exception I made is with Gomer Pyle USMC, I bought those DVD's anyway and try to tolerate the ridiculous music edits.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
You may be surprised. I was given a few of the first Japanese CDs made back in 1982 by a record producer friend in Brazil during a visit. I pull them out and play them from time to time. They still play like new. That's 48 years ago.

Coincidentally, yesterday I sent an e-mail to someone where I said it's hard for me to believe that in three weeks, 1970 will be 50 years ago.

So, listen, things are bad enough without rushing things. Actually, 1982 was 38 years ago. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Having just about finished up with this 1st-season set of "Our Miss Brooks," I have to admit the 22.5-minute prints don't really seem to reveal any overtly apparent edits. Sometimes the episodes seem to end a bit cold, giving one a feeling that an 'end tag' scene might be missing. But I didn't think sitcoms this far back had end tags, so this probably isn't an answer to edited footage.

The radio version of "Our Miss Brooks" is a four-star classic, brilliantly written and performed. Although the tv-version utilizes a lot of the same scripts, the results are often quite lacking. Very lacking, in fact. On radio, there was more solid footing to things, with a tightness to the plots, along with even a bit of understated warmth to the characterizations. The tv-version is more manic, and often turns into a rather mechanical, contrived farce. It all seems so rushed, and boundaries of common-sense are often dispatched for a cheap and easy laugh. Richard Crenna, of course, is way too old for the part, and the byplay between Arden and Gale Gordon, which is so sublime and hilarious on radio, comes across as too quick and forced on television. Oh, I suppose the series is ultimately okay for undemanding viewing, and I certainly don't regret my purchase. I'd also be curious to see further seasons, to observe whether the series shaped up a bit more as it progressed. Oddly enough, I think Gloria McMillan (as Harriet Conklin) fared best in all this. Although she was always more of a 'straight character' in the show, I found her cheery, sing-song delivery here in the tv-series more consistently funny and effective than just about anything else going on, amidst all the contrived comical shenanigans. The bottom line (for me) is that tv-version really pales in comparison to the marvelous radio show.

Tom.W

Second Unit
The radio version of "Our Miss Brooks" is a four-star classic, brilliantly written and performed. Although the tv-version utilizes a lot of the same scripts, the results are often quite lacking. Very lacking, in fact. On radio, there was more solid footing to things, with a tightness to the plots, along with even a bit of understated warmth to the characterizations. The tv-version is more manic, and often turns into a rather mechanical, contrived farce. It all seems so rushed, and boundaries of common-sense are often dispatched for a cheap and easy laugh. Richard Crenna, of course, is way too old for the part, and the byplay between Arden and Gale Gordon, which is so sublime and hilarious on radio, comes across as too quick and forced on television. Oh, I suppose the series is ultimately okay for undemanding viewing, and I certainly don't regret my purchase. I'd also be curious to see further seasons, to observe whether the series shaped up a bit more as it progressed. Oddly enough, I think Gloria McMillan (as Harriet Conklin) fared best in all this. Although she was always more of a 'straight character' in the show, I found her cheery, sing-song delivery here in the tv-series more consistently funny and effective than just about anything else going on, amidst all the contrived comical shenanigans. The bottom line (for me) is that tv-version really pales in comparison to the marvelous radio show.

Well said, Bert. I echo your point about the tv version bring frenetic and at times farcical. I still enjoy watching it occasionally, but since I have it recorded from MeTv and Decades, I don't feel the need to purchase it. Especially since the dvds are basically identical to the ones aired over tv.

Good point about the edits. They're not really intrusive, but at 22:30 runtime, there's a substantial amount missing. Probably scenes cut coming back from commercials. From memory, I think the endings were not abrupt. There's usually a joke or funny comment leading to the fadeout.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I had said the same things in another thread on "Our Miss Brooks" in this forum.

I liked the radio show so much, I was excited when the series came on MeTV a while back.

It was a very disappointing experience, for many reasons.

One thing, on the radio, you can imagine there are other students in the halls, but it's surrealistic to see so many scenes where it seems the only people in the entire school are Brooks, Conklin, Boynton, Walter and Harriet.

And, as is said above, with Crenna using that weird voice on radio, you can picture Walter being a nerdy teenager, but seeing a good-looking late-20s guy playing the part is just ridiculous.

When they changed the format for the fourth season, things got better, which I didn't expect. But it's still a very disappointing show.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Awww man, I was so tempted to do a blind buy on this and you guys are making me reconsider that :(

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Awww man, I was so tempted to do a blind buy on this and you guys are making me reconsider that :(

I watched a few episodes on Decades and enjoyed them so I thought I’d support the release and buy the two season one sets. I’ve actually been watching them on and off for the last week and I’m really enjoying them. It’s not high brow comedy but I find it very enjoyable and would buy season two when it comes out.

The edits are unfortunate but not noticeable and don’t seem to hurt the continuity. The series looks beautiful and, if it’s true that the original sources were cut I doubt we’ll ever see a release with unedited episodes. I don’t see this being such a money maker that CBS would go through the expense to locate and insert the missing footage. So if it comes down to this or obscurity, I’ll settle for this with reservation.

Last edited:

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I recorded the show when it was on me-TV. I figured I would like it since it was a Desliu production, and it looked similar to I Love Lucy. However, I found Richard Crenna's voice extremely annoying, he didn't look like a kid, and the show really wasn't that funny to me.
Plus, I grew up watching Gale Gordon on reruns of The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy. I thought he had great chemistry with Lucy. She was scared of him when he would blow his top, but I didn't get the same vibe with him and Eve, maybe because Eve was such a strong woman.
I never listened to the radio show, so these comparisons have been very enlightening. I probably would've liked it more without the visuals.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve heard exactly two episodes of the radio show and enjoyed it, but that also means I’m not familiar enough with it where I’d worry that it would prevent me from liking the TV version.

I may just give in and try it. I’m not expecting realism. I’m hoping to laugh a few times at wisecracks and to generally watch with an amused grin on my face for 22 minutes or so. If the show can clear that bar I’ll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks