1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Our Miss Brooks on DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark McFurbin, Nov 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jay_Z_525

Jay_Z_525 Agent

Jason Zappolo
    If it weren’t so frustrating, it would be exciting.

I checked all of my discs and happily they’re all what they're supposed go be. Here’s hoping everyone has the same.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    arrrgghhh!

UPS had a shipping issue and my package didn’t arrive today so I don’t know what I’ll be getting. We should keep in touch. I need V1 discs and you need V2 discs and if Amazon can’t figure this out soon, maybe we should just trade.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  3. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Update: I had a few moments to check the discs. Yep, they're all from Vol 1. Unacceptable all around.

So now I have to decide what I want to do next. There's no doubt that I'm returning the set to Amazon. Initially, I was planning on requesting an exchange to give them one more chance, but now I'm considering a total refund and then buying the set from another vendor. It won't be until early next week that I'll have any time to to submit the return request so I don't have to make up my mind right away.

As much as this is just sloppiness on Amazon's part, I also put a minor portion of the blame on CBS. Would it have been so hard to use separate cover and disc art for the two volumes? I wouldn't expect anything fancy - just another stock photo of Eve Arden would have sufficed. That way the careless Amazon workers wouldn't have been so confused.

4. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    Just in case, I'll hold onto the discs until early next week. Aggravating to say the least. For 34.99 plus tax we should be getting better service.

5. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Yeah, this is nuts. This is a five second problem to fix if we could get the left hand to talk to the right hand.

Jeff Flugel and Arthur Powell like this.
  6. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Did y'all see the article that a customer got a used waffle iron from Amazon that still had waffle in it? I saw it in my newsfeed on FB last night! Amazon seems to be getting sloppy lately.

MatthewA, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  7. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    How did I miss this thread in it’s early stages?

Our Miss Brooks is one of my most favorite radio shows on SiriusXM Radio Classics channel. I’ve listened to quite a few episodes of OMB over the years and count me as a Eve Arden fan.
    And Gale Gordon as the despotic Principal Osgood Conklin is comedic gold. I do remember him as Mr. Mooney from the Lucy TV shows.
    Not to mention hearing Richard Crenna three decades before his Colonel Trautman role in the Rambo movies or making John Candy’s vacation miserable as the snobbish yacht owner in Summer Rental (1985).

I’ve already carted the new OMB sets on Amazon (and found a few older DVD releases of questionable quality according to reviewers). But I have been following the reports of season mixups and of course that makes me a bit reserved about purchasing. It might just be worth it though for me to take the chance.

One note of wishing thinking in my part. When Eve Arden was cast as Principal McGee in Grease (1978), I think they should have used the name “Principal Boynton” for the role. It would have made a nice little Easter egg tie-in to her 50s Radio & TV shows and convinced older fans that Miss Brooks finally landed her man, Philip Boynton from the radio show.

8. Larry.P

Larry.P Stunt Coordinator

I ordered volume 1 and volume 2 when they first came out. My volume 1 had disc 1's content on disc 2 and disc 2's content on disc 1. Even though I had all the episodes, it bugged me that the disc content didn't match the labels. I ordered a replacement set for volume 1 and the discs were all correct. My advice is to order a replacement, but don't return the "bad" set until you verify the new set is good - or you can mix and match to make a good set and return the leftovers as the bad set.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    Amazon really dropped the ball on this release. Incorrectly packaged discs and mislabeled discs? Did the Amazon employees have a collective brain fart on the day when these discs were printed? Have these shenanigans been observed with any of the other CBS MOD releases like My Three Sons or Ben Casey?

I'm still mulling over what I'm going to do. I could give Amazon one more chance and see what I get this time. However, I'm tired of these games. More likely than not, they'll just grab another copy off of the shelf with little thought as to the nature of the return. At that point it's the luck of the draw given the compromised state of their stock. I may get "lucky" and at least acquire the two discs I really need, or I could strike out again. I'm thinking about just getting a full refund and then buying this set from another vendor. I will leave either a one or two star review to warn prospective buyers.

Speaking of other vendors, how is Oldies? I receive their catalogs occasionally, and I know that they're offering this set. Do they receive their MOD releases from Amazon or at least Amazon's supplier?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    Older viewers wouldn't need convincing. Assuming that they had seen the 1956 movie version, they would have already known that Miss Brooks did land her shy biology teacher prey. ;)

11. Message #51 of 65 Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Geez, Arthur, what a hassle! Sorry to hear that your Amazon MOD travails continue. I admire that you're at least keeping a sense of humor about it all, probably more than I'd be able to do, in the same situation. Hopefully, the third time's the charm (and the second for Josh).

Flashgear likes this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    My package arrived today - traveler from KY to DC to FL (twice) before turning around back to PA and then NJ and finally NY.

I was completely and utterly shocked that it was actually the right discs inside. My wife was sure this was gonna keep me occupied for the next month trying to get it fixed but I was pleasantly surprised.

Now to find the time to watch it, the eternal struggle.

13. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Does the sleeve art on OUR MISS BROOKS say manufactured by Amazon or Create Space on the bar code? I was thinking Amazon may be getting all the studio mods from Allied Vaughn ,now ,like all the others online vendors. Amazon's Create Space books printed on demand was folded into Kindle. Amazon may not be burning discs anymore.. Amazon no longer has that blurb on the Mod product pages "When purchased from Amazon. item will be manufactured on...DVD-R". I take that to mean Amazon is getting the Mods from Allied Vaughn.

14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It doesn’t say that on the packaging as I’ve seen on older Amazon titles. For what it’s worth, the seller in the fine print on my receipt was Amazon Digital Services rather than the usual Amazon, LLC something something that’s listed when buying non-MOD products.

15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Why would it go so many places before it got to you?

16. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It was supposed to go from KY to NJ to NY but must’ve gotten lost along the way. Took five days instead of the promised two, but it was almost worth the delay for the amusement of logging in each day to see where it was next.

Jay_Z_525 and bmasters9 like this.
  17. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    She actually pried him away from his pet bullfrog, McDougal?
    (Now nobody take that the wrong way).

Arthur Powell likes this.
  18. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    It's perhaps against my better judgement, but I have decided to try one more exchange with Amazon. Why not? They say that three time's the charm, right? If they screw up again, then I will just request a complete refund and order the set from another vendor. I honestly hope that this is an Amazon issue and doesn't affect the stock from other vendors.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  19. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I am pretty sure additional seasons will be released of this and other series after the dust over the shakeup at ViacomCBS settles.

~Ben

Susan Nunes_329977 likes this.
  20. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    The Amazon/UPS man just dropped off copy number three, and...............drumroll please...............................

It looks like that three time's the charm. All of the discs state volume 2, and the episode titles match the correct volume 2 content. Of course, I'll verify the contents by actually testing the discs tonight.