OTA only vs. Satellite/OTA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott DeToffol, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

Now that the Twin Cities are finally getting OTA HDTV (see previous post) I'm ready to buy a receiver and antenna. The problem is which way to go.
    Option 1
    Give up my ATT Broadband digital cable (no biggie) and go with satellite with OTA module. I just don't see myself watching the very limited amount of HDTV material available via satellite. I watch movies via DVD, not HBO. Any programming coming soon that will entice me to go this route (like Discovery channel or networks)?
    Option 2
    OTA only receiver like the Samsung SIR T-150 or Toshiba DST 3000. Downside is investment in a device that would be useless if I went to satellite.
    BTW, I have the Toshiba TW40X81 HDTV.
    ------------------
    Scott's Home Theater - By Appointment Only

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The DST-3000 is also a DirecTV satellite receiver.
    -Robert

3. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

Robert is correct. In fact; right now I don't think there is a STB that is OTA only... I think they all have a sat receiver built in them.

4. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    If you want to receive OTA HD broadcasts without sat. service you need the Samsung or RCA. These 2 boxes do not require you to subscribe to sat service. The other boxes I believe require you to be a sat. subsriber not only for stuff like HD-HBO but even to receive OTA HD signals.

5. David Massimiano

Harold... That is incorrect. I have the Toshiba DST-3000. I presently receive OTA and local cable. You do not need to subscribe for sat. service.

6. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Exactly, buy the DST-3000 and receive OTA and when you decide to go satellite, you'll have the hardware. I bought my DST-300 when they first came out and Toshiba had a $200 rebate for Tosh RPTV owners. After watching my local digital broadcast, my so called AT&T digital cable looks horrible, no comparison and HDTV is outstanding. I probably won't be getting DirecTv for a while yet, but I get to watch a lot of free HDTV now.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Dishnetwork requires a dish be pointed at one of their satellites, but no subscription is required. During heavy rains, when the satellite signal is lost, you also lose your OTA signal. There has been talk about a software upgrade to do away with this requirement but there is no definite date as to when it will be released.
    All software upgrades will come down from the satellite but it is very easy to temporarily aim a dish for a few hours.
    -Robert

8. Jerry Hostler

Jerry Hostler Stunt Coordinator

Robert, or anyone else.
    Do you know if Dish Network still requires a dish pointed at a satellite to get OTA via the 6000 Receiver/OTA Module? Unfortuanately I just moved from a house into an apartment. I would like to use my 6000 for OTA HD only and get basic cable, instead of installing the sat dish on my balcony.
    Jerry

9. DaveZ

DaveZ Extra

If you're a sports fan, DirecTV has an upcoming HDTV Sports channel.
    I would NOT get an OTA only receiver. I didn't plan on getting DirecTV when I got my RCA DTC100 receiver. We had HBO through our garbage cable company (Comcast). It was actually cheaper to get HBO through DirecTV for only $13 a month. And, I get the HBO-HD channel.
    Also, here's hoping, Mark Cuban's HD Sports network in november
    [Edited last by DaveZ on July 30, 2001 at 11:44 PM]

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Dave, you mis-spelled Crumcast. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Jerry,
    The most recent software upgrade did not address the "problem" of having a dish. But you can point to any of Dish's sats and it will work.
    -Robert

12. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    I've had my DTC-100 for a year now and I only use it for OTA. It depends on the vendor. Some require that you get satellite service, some don't.
    I rent movies a lot, so most of the movies they are showing in HD, I've seen already. Also, movies via dbs don't have the special features such as deleted scenes and interview in DVDs. Now when educational/nature channels come online, I'll definitely subscribe.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site