What's new

Tosh57hx81 & DST3000 vs Mitsu ws55859 (1 Viewer)

RickMel

Grip
The majority of my viewing for the time being will be analog satelite. Given this, which should I go with - Toshiba 57hx81 and HDTV tuner DST3000 or Mitsubishi ws55859? What are the major benefits or drawbacks of each?

I probably would only use the DST3000 for OTA HDTV as I love my RCA with UltimateTV satelite rcvr...though I would have the flexibility to go with HD satellite in the near future with the DST3000 if I chose to.

I've heard the Tosh has better line doubling and better stretch modes. I've recently read and article that the ws55859 doesn't have the ususal Mitsu "red push" and that the over picture for HD is better. I'm so conflicted.

Should I wait till the new Toshiba's come out? Will they be including DVI? Should I wait for one of these then get the DST3000 with it? When will they be available?

Why is it that every sales person you speak to raves about the Mitsu but many articles rave about the Tosh - I even got an unbiased opinion from a semi-friend who said go with the Mitsu. I like the integrated HDTV tuner of the Mitsu and Netcommand.

I've rambled a bit here but I truly can't decide what to do. I've already paid for the Mitsu but won't have it delivered for another month b/c I'm moving. I got a good price $2750 w/3yr warrant. I still have time to change my purchase.

I've gone back and forth in my mind and can't decide.

Please help. Any input would be appreciated !!!!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The built-in HD tuner on the Mits is OTA-only, won't get any HD programming from DirecTV so you won't get HDNet (THE best HD there is), HBO or Showtime HD.

I'm pretty sure the next generation Tosh sets will have DVI inputs (next gen Sony and Hitachi definitely will), but the DST-3000 does not have a DVI output! The next generation of boxes will have this output.

So you could get the current Tosh set and DST-3000 with no DVI, or wait and get the next gen set and box with DVI, or get the current Mits and not get any DirecTV HD content.

I know this is not really helping much.

RickMel

Grip
Can anyone confirm that the new Toshibas will have DVI and if so, when will they be out? I'd like to get the 57hx81 and DST3000 tuner but could hold off a month or two if the new models have DVI. Will there be a 57hx81 equivalent with DVI?

If it's not for another 6 months then I'd probably just go ahead a buy now rather than wait. If you wait for new technology before buying...you'll never ending up buying anything - things change so quickly.

I'm not convinced yet that DVI will render all current sets obsolete.

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I would also like to know about when the new model TV is coming out. What time of the summer does toshiba roll out with their new line of televisions? Are there any other major changes coming out this year, other than the possible DVI.

Thanks

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The 50H72 is listed in this weeks Best Buy ad...so I'd assume that one is out.

I guess it's only a matter of time when the others come out. I'm anxiously awaiting the 57H82 myself...

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Call me stupid, but please clarify DVI? I'm also looking at a Toshiba but am willing to wait for the next models.

joey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks